Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Yes it's true, but don't tell anyone. After many glorious years of this:

and this:

My back finally gave out near the beginning of last summer. I blew two discs and have spent the last 8 months recovering without surgery. Fortunately, I was still able to do a whole lot of wakesurfing last summer.

Well, I never want to go thru the amount of pain I endured ever again. So, enough of the back destroying. It's now time to make an attempt at destroying my knees. Below is what showed up on my doorstep last weekend.

I have gone to the dark side and am now looking forward to a summer full of wakeboarding
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-01-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
So you finally saw the light.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Off your knees and stand, my friend...

Everytime I watch kneeboarding at that level I'm amazed at the beating you guys take. I'm sure you'll find wakeboarding equally addictive.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-01-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Welcome to the Club my Man!! We are gald to have you.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-01-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
woooo he has seen the light lol john u beat me to it
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-01-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
well alright...

Those bindngs im sorry to report will not last long. im talking a few sets. Dont toss your receipt!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-01-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
Don't want to pee in your cornflakes but wakeboarding isn't going to be much easier on your back, particularly the low back.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-02-2011, 2:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Those bindngs im sorry to report will not last long. im talking a few sets. Dont toss your receipt!
Ah now, I'm not sure about that. My brother got a set in May and they've held up grand so far last summer, and looking grand fro next season too.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-02-2011, 3:43 AM Reply   
I know kneeboarding takes a slamming here but the people who are really good are REALLY GOOD. One of the most amazing things I ever saw behind my old boat was a visiting friend-of-a-friend that was a good kneeboarder and wanted to get behind my boat because I was the only person on the lake with an extended pylon and ballast. The guy absolutely went off. 2002-ish. Raleys, all sorts of flip variants - I was impressed. I was really, really impressed. I still am impressed at what people can do on a kneeboard.

Welcome to this side. Not darker/lighter.

I just wonder how you assume wakeboarding will be less of beating for you than kneeboarding.

Please keep us informed on your progress. Looks like you're pretty good at kneeboarding. I wonder if you'll be nailing inverts right away. It wouldn't surprise me if you are.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 03-02-2011 at 3:45 AM.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-02-2011, 6:05 AM Reply   
Welcome to severely biased side! Nice to have another fulltime member! haha
Old     (shredthegnar87)      Join Date: May 2010       03-02-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
frankie panno rips on a kneeboard...first ever pro-model?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2011, 9:22 PM Reply   
the bounces those guys take on impact is ridiculous. i can see how it would be bad on the back. wakeboarding you have the entire length of your body to recoil and absorb impact, but kneeboarding it looks like it is mostly the upper body taking the beating. same would go for skyski from what i have heard
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-02-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
OK, no offense to the athletes because Im sure they have spent many years perfecting their craft but knee boarding is to watersports what snowblades are to snow sports. Rails on a knee board....... um ya.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
welcome to our sport, I hope you find it easier on your back. Let us know how it all goes.

501- I completely disagree with your analogy. snowblades are one of the most recent "sport" to the snow, they came and went and frankly I forgot about them until you just mentioned them. Kneeboarding however, came well before wakeboarding and is still around.

If you did not want to ski, you kneeboarded. The first thing I ever stood up on and rode like a surfboard was a kneeboard, way before there was "wakeboarding".

Your analogy is a fail, and its comments like yours that give other people the perception that wakeboarders are lame. Imagine if you read a comment on a snowboard thread that said "wakeboarding is to watersports what snowblades is to snowsports." I doubt that you would have agreed with that statement.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-03-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
Yeah, you can't do this on a snowblades. Ever see a 1080 on a kneeboard?:

Old     (bryanbryanbb08)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-03-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
People still knee board...These videos are hilarious!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
I thought you were going to say you are gonna start tubing on glass!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Oops, this thread went on a tangent. My point was to announce my entry into the wakeboarding world. Not promote kneeboarding.

Anyway, I got the third degree from Chris, at O'Brien, for posting up a LF wakeboard setup. Sorry, Chris! So, I have that setup sold and have this coming. Super stoked!
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-04-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
That a boy!!!! That O'brien Set-up freaking RULES~!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-04-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
That O'Brien looks like my Motive.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Obrien for the win!
Old     (Erik2393)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-04-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
Congrats man I switched from kneeboarding to wakeboarding too! Trust me your body will thank you
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-05-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
That O'Brien looks like my Motive.
Hahahahahaah Not even close!!!! The Motive is a entry level board, the Decade is ver aggressive. You cannot judge a wakeboard by 2D Pics of the Board. You cant see the rocker lines, the edges, molded fins shape/size, the over all shape, and profile of the board.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-05-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
Well, at least they are about as cheap as the Motive.... $200 for an 09
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
Johnny, sorry you don't like my analogy. I guess you are right, knee boarding has been around a long time, but when was the last time you have actually seen people doing it? I spend a lot of time on the lake and last year I probably saw one kid on a knee board.

Snowblading is basically the snow version of rollerblading which is a modern version of rollerskating. Does that make rollerblading cool? It's probably the most made fun of "action" sport around, but it could be argued that it has more history then skateboarding because skateboards were first made out of roller skates.

I had never seen a video of good kneeboarding before, and I have to say that seeing people on there knees riding across sliders just didn't do it for me, it made me laugh.

And as for snowboarders making fun of wakeboarders, I was snowbording before a lot of people on this site were even born so i would take no offense to a comment like that.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-06-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
The guy in the first video I actually really enjoyed. It is the first time I have seen a kneeboard video that actually looks cool.
The second video was more along the lines of what i expect from a kneeboard video. I hate when they land and do a flip. It seems like they do it to decrease the impact of the trick. I do have to give the guy credit on the double backroll and the wrapped 1080. It doesn't matter what kind of board you are on, to do a w2w 1080 is absolutely incredible
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
I'm lucky enough to ride with Frankie Panno and that dude absolutely RIPS! Super nice guy and he goes WAAAAY bigger on his new pro model kneeboard than most people do on wakeboards. Come watch him ride and you will change your tune about what he does behind a boat.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
Awesome buddy can't wait to ride with you again this summer! I think it will be a good crossover for you. Your air awareness is great and lots of things will cross over. Can I try your board? Hahha
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
You can try my board any time, Mikey.

I'm hoping that my background will help me to progress very quickly, since the majority of the moves are the same. I've actually only ridden a wakeboard a couple of times, and that was several years ago. So, I'm looking forward to see what I'm able to do. I already have a bet with a friend that thinks I won't be able to land a raley this season. He's gonna be payin'.

Another thing that will be interesting to me: I have no switch stance. I slalom goofy, but surf regular. Hopefully, I can use that to my advantage.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-16-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Wait.. Chad... Did you just say you're going to land a Raley in your first season of wakeboarding and you've only ridden a few times?

I'll take that bet also..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-16-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Nice looking set up - a couple guys in our crew ride the Decade and they love them.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-17-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yes, I was the person who made that bet with Chad. I like my chances.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
I love a challenge!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
Got the new ride in yesterday! First impressions: Saweeeeeet!

The Decade bindings are absolutely amazing. I think they made them especially for me (not). I have super high arches. O'Brien has this thing called the Power Arch and they fit me like a glove. If you have high arches too, it's worth checking out. The bindings came with black laces installed and included an extra set of green laces. So I swapped them to match the pinstripes on the board. Got a matching O'Brien vest too

Just waitin' for the lake to turn liquid.........Needs more cowbell........

(sorry for the crap cell phone pic)
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2011, 6:41 AM Reply   
There are a couple lakes in the Metro where the ice is beginning to pull away from the shores. I think if we hit 40's and 50's next week like they are saying - we've got 10-14 days til ice out..

I also like my chances in this bet Eric.. I look forward to going out and riding with you guys the first time that Chad tries this.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-27-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
My money is on chad. I got your back for practicing Lets hit her hard this year.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
I used to kneeboard all the time and had a blast doing it.But at the tender age of 45 i had to give it up because of foot and leg cramps all the time.I too wakeboard all the time now.On a raley you should work up to it and try it on a wakeskate first.If not the diggers can be very painful and injuries could result.GOOD LUCK
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-27-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
Just a quick update for all you doubters. I got out last night (Ride #4 and #5 for the season...but pretty much ever.). Getting more comfortable with the sideways stance thing. Jumped wake to wake a bunch of times. Still coming up a bit short toe side. The big tricks of the night were half cab 180s off of both wakes. That got me super stoked!

Planning on a bunch of pulls behind TRDon's boat this weekend:-) I have no doubt that I will land that raley before the end of the season!

Thanks, Chris, for the awesome pull!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-27-2011, 8:08 PM Reply   
That is Awesome! Let's see some pics.
Old     (EnderWiggin)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-28-2011, 4:39 AM Reply   
One thing I can say, Chad's definitely got a pair for a first year rider. Even if he doesn't land the raley (after seeing him ride, I'm thinking he will), it will be attempted many times. This dude is motivated!

Sorry, no pics, forgot the camera. Will have it next time for evidence.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-26-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Where are we at with the Raley?