Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hi, went out to the boat shed today and noticed that the oil has leaked out of one of the hubs. It appears to be dripping out between the plastic lense and the silver cone ring seam? Is this something simple to where you just replace this silver cone/plastic end. How do you get it off. Where can I get a replacement? What weight oil do I refill with? I would really appreciate some advise here!Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
You need to replace the seal in that oil bath hub. How old is the trailer, if its not more than a couple years old and it's a UFP system they will send you the stuff for free to fix it. Not to hard.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
where is the seal located? Do I have to take the entire hub off to get to it or do I just have to pull off that silver cone at the end? It is a 2003 boatmate trailer tandem. this is the hub with the disc brake
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
I had the same issue once, same setup. You just pull off the bearing buddy. Tap on it with a rubber mallet and pull out. There is a snap ring that you remove and then go to a local auto parts store and match up the 2 o-rings inside. Tap it back onto the hub with a hammer but put a piece of wood against it to tap it on. When you fill the hub be sure it is full with no air.
Old     (kiraly_74)      Join Date: May 2007       02-10-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
I dont think thats Oil. Well it might be now but that is what happens when axle grease gets really hot. So If I were a betting man I would bet that the bearing and or race is a little worn. This can happen from over greasing and pushing the back seal out its seat. Allowing the bearing to slowly get hot. Will get worse over time and eventually falls apart very ugly. Spend the 35 dollars and get a new bearing and seal Its a real easy Job. Took Me an hour tops. It might just be twenty bucks because you dont need a new bearing buddy at this juncture.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
what kind of oil do I refill it with? what weight?
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
no it is an oil bath hub. just past the bearing buddy shaft there is a hex nut which I guess you remove and somehow get the oil in to refill when you have it back together?
Old     (kiraly_74)      Join Date: May 2007       02-10-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
The only time oil is used is in a final or drive system. Not it a trailering app. It takes axle bearing grease. Take a screw driver pop the cap off the bearing buddy. You'll see the zirk Fitting. Do not over grease As explained in previous post good luck.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
It is a oil bath system. I just did mine last summer. Use 30 weight but make sure you fill it up tight to get the air out. Fill it up, let it sit and top it off a few times. If there is air then when you put the trailer in the water the air cools off fast and causes a vacuum that sucks water in.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
scooter, I just got it off there was a stretched out oil ring stuck on the shaft as I took the buddy off. Is the ring supposed to be around the silver buddy or in the grove of the plastic lense. I will try to send pics
Old     (kiraly_74)      Join Date: May 2007       02-10-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
YOu boys are right The bearing buddy has a lense it just looked black I had to take a closer look sorry. Ufp
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Im not sure what you mean. The o-ring should fit in the groove location on the site glass plastic lens.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-10-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Doesn't help you, but we had a blowout
Upload
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Here is a picture off an extra one. Make sure when you put it back together it is clean.Upload
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
take a look at the picture. notice that the ring is tweeked! Does the ring go on the amber lense. there are two black grooves that wrap around the lense. does the ring set in between these and is there just on ring for the whole thingUpload
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
that one is slightly diff than mine. The 2 black o-rings on the lens is what seals it. The damaged one Im not sure of. Mine does not have that one.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Leonard here is everything you need to know...

http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/Trailer%20Buddy%20GOLD%20Axle%20Maintenance.pdf
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
I think the 2 black O-rings are missing on mine. My pic does not show it well but the two black strips are black plastic with a channel groove that I think the O rings set in.When you took your O ring off was there black channel groove molded into the lense? I think the O ring on mine goes around the silver buddy as an in between seal for the buddy and the hub
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
nu bu thanks for the post. that lense cover with the molded in o-rings in your instruction file is exactly what I have. For some reason it is not sealing. I probably just need to replace the whole bearing buddy
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Call up UFP tomorrow and let them know what's on, they sent me 4 new ones and oil free of charge.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-10-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
UFP does a great job supporting the customer! They have done similar things for me.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
thanks all you folks for the help.

THIS BOARD IS THE BEST!!!!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
*****I was to lazy too read the above posts***** It may not be the seal. The oil bath hubs have a place to fill them with the oil and sometimes the screw comes loose therefore the oil leaks out, if that is the case, the fix is simple....fill it back to the required level and tighten the screw. Again, I was too lazy to read the other posts. This has happened to me several times...It could be a seal though, I just thought I'd give my .02.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Nate that happened to me before to with a boatmate trailer. The dealer filled it back up and put some thread lock on it as directed by boatmate, this was the only way to keep it from backing out.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
nu bu - I can't tell you how many of those we have had to fix. Just one of those great things about boat ownership!
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
I sent an E mail to UPF last night (San Marcos), forward them my pics. There CA office is just the next town from where I live. Talk about luck!
Anyways, got a Email response from Lyn this AM, and she invited me to bring my old on by and she will give me a new one. Gotta love it!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Told ya they are a great company.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey, Just wanted to update you all. I dropped by UPF this morning in San Marcos. I spoke with Lyn and he (not she) was very helpful in that he gave me not 1 replacement but 4 of the new style hub cones. He even gave me the oil and filler cone so I can change out all 4 hubs. He even went as far as making sure I had the owners manuel for both my hubs, brakes, and surge mechanisim. (Did not come originally with the boat). Wow! what a great company
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
Leonard I was waiting for you to find out Lyn was a dude , he's who I dealt with also