Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-31-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
Went to RV show and decided I "Need" an RV. Anybody ever tow a boat and RV at the same time? Set up is Excursion diesel and MC 205..Will be going to lake approx 100 miles away. I think with boat,people gas...I still have 5-6k left of tow capacity??
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-31-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Check State laws for total length allowed.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-31-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
I thought in order to run doubles the first trailer must be a 5th wheel and the second can be a tag. Towing a 5th behind an Excursion would be kind of difficult. Also I know in California you need a Class A driver’s license to drive doubles also a limit on total length. But I know that every state is different so you will have to check on your local laws. Most people in this situation either go with a Motor home or an in-bed camper.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-31-2008, 11:49 PM Reply   
i always thought an RV was a motorhome and a 5th wheel or taga long was a trailer, no?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-01-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
What state? In some you can tow 2 bumper pulls but you have to be under 70ft. Only problem with that is crossing state lines. Once you do, you have to obey their rules.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on February 01, 2008)
Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-01-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
oops sorry, yes a bumper pull trailer
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
my old boss pulled big 28' camper with pop out(not 5th wheel) and his bass boat behind his GMC 2500. That rig was long and heavy. He claimed to have no problems and that was in CO
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-01-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
The only way to go
Upload
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-01-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
What you call a bumper pull trailer is known as a Tag trailer The RV that Bryan has is a 5th wheel. RV stands for Recreational Vehicle. A Motor Home has an engine. Bryan nice setup.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-01-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
I belive the first (pull) trlr cannot be over 28 feet long in CA.And total lenght of 70 ft. Bryan you look to be over that, Ever get stopped? That 5ver looks at least to be 30 feet if the boat is a 23 ? Just wondering because I'm planning on tagging my boat behind my 5th wheel as well.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-02-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Yup the 5th is 28 and the boat a 23 LSV the 5th can be up to 28.5 the overall length is right at 70 at the boat lights they do not count the swim step. Most RVs are not looked at just drive safe at 55 and all is good. I have only been stopped once because the lights on the boat were not on (loose connection) I twisted the connection and when they came on he said good and drove off - God bless the CHP
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
Are there any special setup or modifications that need to be done to the 5th to handle pulling a wake boat? Will any 5th wheel handle towing a boat behind it?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Bryan are you towing with a gas truck?
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-06-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Im with matt, I hope that is a diesel pulling that kind of set up.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-06-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
i run the same set up as bryan. it is the only way to go. i pull with a 04 dodge diesel. my trailor is 27ft. when i was buying the 5th wheel i asked a lot of q's from many different dealers. the only requirement they told me was that the trailor needed to have steel frame rails. as long as i keep it under 75 i have NO problems, except trying to find the nearest truck stop so you can get in and out safely. backing up is not easy but possible
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-06-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
oh ya make sure you have your gas card handy it'll get a little expensive
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-07-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
Duramax, ally with transgo, 5" turbo back stright piped, PPG tow, Edge insight, Arrow 55 gal tank

I still get 10 mpg going up some good sized hills it dose not care what I put back there. I tried one trip dry, no gas in the boat and nothing in the camper got the same 10mpg.

Just load it up and have fun.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-07-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Just a quick shot of the hitch on the 5th wheel
Upload
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Do you guys pulling the trains use weight distribution hitches on the boats or just a ball. Also, anyone pulling 5th wheels with lifted trucks?
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       02-08-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have never seen a tag along trailer with a boat behind, with a fifthwheel no problem. Tag along with boat would be illegal were I am from and would be tough to control with any cross winds or sudden stops.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I was at the RV show last night.....been looking since last Spring and still looking. Started with a motorhome, then to a camper....and have been "thinking" about your set up Bryan....

How tough is that to drive? For some reason I get tripped out even looking at it, but GOD KNOWS that I would prefer to have a 5th wheel as opposed to a camper.

Much swaying? I just cannot get it out of my mind that the entire thing is going to start fishtailing.....
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-08-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
We started with a lance 12' slide in camper but I got tired of loading and unloading the camper to launch the boat. The fifth wheel and boat track perfectly, I can see the guide poles in the mirrors plus I added a camera on the back of the 5er to help with hooking up. You are limited to truck stops for fuel but with 55 gallons its usually enough.

I just use the ball mount the tung weight is not that much on a v-drive to put a burden on the 5th wheel tires. I upgraded to 16" load range E tires for the additional safety factor.

Here is a shot of the camp. Upload
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
Hummmmmmmmmm......now my mind is wandering.

Guess I need to figure out what total legal length here is ect.

God that 5th looks longer than 28....but everything looks smaller at the show, because it is always against something bigger.

So Bryan, looking again.....what would you do different? I like the bunkhouse models, but are they really practical....or are the kids going out in tents anyway?

I assume you mean e-load/range/whatever on the 5th? Think I already have them on the truck....
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-08-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
Yes E on the trailer also. We looked long and hard to find a bunkhouse under 29'we had to go to Ohio from Calif to get it. We got lucky this one also has 2 slide outs one in the bed room and one in the living room. Ours has 3 bunks in the rear with a side garage door. It fits us prefect we have been across the 2x with it I added Solar, 4-6v batteries we dry camp alot at the beach. The only thing I would get is a 2ed A/C in the bedroom but thats because we go the the colorado river alot in the summer 110 gets hot.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever seen a 5th wheel boat trailer? I wonder if you could have a custom 5th wheel boat trailer made, then pull a tent trailer behind the boat?
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Bryan when I first saw your pic of your set up the first thing came to me was "guy has cajonas with the 26 gallon tank!" how easy/where to get a bigger tank. I remember once some guy with a sign to ask him about his 100 gallon tank on his max. now I wish i did. have you ever found yourself wanting/needing more storage space? than what your trailer has? Any white knuckle experiances?
E.J. what models caught your eye at the show? Ive been back and forth between motor home to take my boat camping or enclosed trailer to car shows in cali and salt flats but I love the added room that the 5th has to offer. Imseriously thinkin about a toy hauler now just for the strorage and loft and full size bunks in the back and seating in dining area.The funny thing is that I dont even have a quad,moto,buggy of the sort) however, this set up be well over 70!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Just looked up the law and it is 65' total locally. If you are 70' Bryan....I am concerned I could get anything down to 65'......? My SAN is 21' 2", Dodge 3500 CTD is 19'....there has to be about 3' of tongue on the boat....so let's say I am 43' right now....

Matt....I am VERY fond of the Wildcat 30LOFT...it is currently leading the charge. Then the Jayco Eagle SL 31.5 FBHS and Cougar 289BHS in no order..... Took the Boss today and she is sold, have been given the green light....

That said, it looks like I cannot get any of those and tow the boat... I am back to square one so to speak....

So how much of the 5th is going to be in the back of the truck, how long of 5th is realistic to look at....?

(Message edited by Deuce on February 10, 2008)
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Wildcat was sweet! Jayco had the 4 bunks, and cougar was good lookin as well. When We were pretty serious 3 years ago we were debating between the laredo BH and the Jazz BH then found out the Laredo had UV yellowing issues on the nose of trailer. I think Im still fond of the Jazz model. Keep in mind of where you want to go as well because of length limitations on certain parks. now for my delimas. Possibillity of working out of town for months at a time from Branson Missouri, to someplace in North Carolina to Hawaii. I want hawaii! (no osmonds there )however if not I'd prefer to take the wife and kids along. Whoever I do go with camping/boating pretty much has a truck so the boat can go with them, my Kicker now is my kids. My truck sits 3 in back and Ive got cptn seats up front, so one is left out. No reasonable offer will be refused I'll just have to take out the seats and put in a 60/40/60 bench up front. But the more I think about it I think Im sold on the monster toy haulers! i.e. cyclone 4012, regen STR4005 but my pocketbook says its a fleetwood pop-up!btw the RV show was a killer on the legs!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-10-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
EJ - You are right on at 65' for a class C licenses. I needed to jump up to a class A with a doubles endorsement to tow any double unit. The law for going over 65' is that if the middle fifth wheel is no longer than 28'6" the overall length can go up to 75' which is right where I am at.

Dont let the class A scare you off, no school is needed just study the book, go watch at the DMV commercial driving center, practice and your good to go.
PS dont let the DMV tell you that you just need a non-commercial class A because you cannot add a doubles endorsement on to it (dont ask me how I know).