Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (broskier77)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-28-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
Hello. What does everyone think about guys wearing nail polish. I have a friend who does it. Hes not gay. I would like to hear from the boys and girls. I have heard it is a stress reliever for some boys
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
No

pit shaving is bad enough
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-28-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
I used to paint a nail after I smashed it with a hammer. Now I wear that purple nail like a badge of stupidity.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-28-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
I've personally only done black on Halloween as part of a costume but I don't have a problem with it. The stigma is part of the whole irrational fear of "turning gay".
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-28-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
who cares? Just the man telling you pierce this or don't shave that. There's nothing distinctly feminine about it other than that's what the man has told you to think.

Me... what a PITA. I got no time for personal grooming as it is.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2013, 6:29 PM Reply   
What if the thread was: "Your Son Is Wearing Nail Polish"

Would you still be so evolved and enlightened then? I can honestly admit that I would have a real issue with that assuming minor status in my home..
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-28-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
I'd still be evolved and enlightened. There is nothing in this world that could turn my son gay so why would it matter? If he was born gay then he would already be gay and I still wouldn't be worried about him turning gay. Now if you changed it to wearing a dress and high heels I would take an issue. Nail polish doesn't matter.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
Sorry, I didnt mean to side track into the gay part, Truth is I would enjoy the Goth thing even less.
gay, not gay whatever,,,,, he is my son. Its the whole self image, being presentable thing. No doubt it's the >Cloths make the man generation that I have had to make a living in.
I feel better with a fresh haircut and a pressed shirt and I feel that image is a huge part of life today. You are, in some respect who you present yourself to be.
I wonder how much more business I would have with a neck tattoo and ear gauges?
Its confidence to me.. and shows other people that you care about something other than caring about not caring about anything. (that sentence does work if you cross your eyes)
This from a guy who had a super mullet, a bad perm, a pierced ear and yes, leather pants..

I guess Im just old.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-28-2013, 7:00 PM Reply   
Gay comes to mind.

But I'm just a redneck from KS and can't stand to look at skinny jeans, facial piercing and tats everywhere. Goth is weird to me.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-29-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
Gay comes to mind.

But I'm just a redneck from KS and can't stand to look at skinny jeans, facial piercing and tats everywhere. Goth is weird to me.
x2 but from TX
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-28-2013, 8:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
This from a guy who had a super mullet, a bad perm, a pierced ear and yes, leather pants..

I guess Im just old.
LOL are you Hall or Oates?

Look, we all have bad fashion choices made as teens that helped us develop our independent identities and serve as fodder for incessant mocking by our own kids.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-28-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
I guess I'd evaluate it in context. Right now my teenage son dresses in tight homoerotic spandex outfits and rolls around with other boys for hours on end until they are glistening with sweat.

(wrestling)

If the makeup was indicative of some sort of bad influence peer group I might be worried? I had bleach blond spiked hair in the 80s cuz it was bitchen and the chicks dug it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-28-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   

I'm more worried about the summer shandy making me gay! Who gives a rip?! And no, this was not a stress reliever. Just some fun bonding time with my 6 year old daughter. This crap stayed on for a long time too. Did my finger nails a few times back in the early to mid nineties. Also wore eyeliner at punk shows a few times. Stupid teenager stuff that I don't regret at all.
If they are a minor in your home though, your decision. Pick your battles wisely.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-04-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
I'm more worried about the summer shandy making me gay!
You actually got an audible laugh out of me....

As far as the original question, to each their own. A good friend's daughter has his toes painted pretty much year round. I've never done it or had my daughter ask to do it....but Hell, I shave my arms, legs & chest in the Spring/Summer/Fall.... I blame it on cycling, but truthfully, just think it looks better....so WTF do I know about nail painting....
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-29-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
other than Trains reasoning...simple grasp for attention
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-29-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
What's the big deal? My ex did mine a couple times while out on the boat.

I'd be far more concerned about piercings or tattoos than I would about something that wipes off in about 2 minutes.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-29-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
yikes...

Whats next pedicures and manicures?

Cmon now fellas.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-04-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
yikes...

Whats next pedicures and manicures?

Cmon now fellas.
Yep! #livetweet from my son a few weeks ago....was getting a pedicure with his mother and girlfriend.

Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-05-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
^ I hope you sat him down and talked about his actions....

Im just going to assume he lost some bet with his buddies.... There is no other explanation.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-04-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
I painted mine in the early\mid 90's when constant wakeboarding in shallow south Texas stink-holes would stain your nails yellow\brown. Wearing flip-flops anywhere looked jacked up if you didn't, and I certainly wasnt going to stop riding.

I personally wouldn't sweat it. As you can see above, we have all done stupid non-permanent things in the name of fashion. Just be glad it isn't one of the permanent jacked up things that are in style now. Take pictures of it, so when its out of style and he is on to the next trend, you have an example of the shelf life of trends. For the record I now hate my dad's commentary in our home videos with his self fulfilling prophecies of how much I'm going to hate looking back on my stupid fashion\trend choices. "Now THOSE are some cool parachute pants!" Still stings the ears.....
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-12-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
Used to rock black nail polish in my Goth/punk days every now and then, nothing consistent, just when going out somewhere specific. Also have had wife/gf give me a manicure with a clear nail polish top coat.
We have a baby girl due at the end of this year and when she gets a little older what kind of father would I be if when she wanted to paint her dad's nails I said no?
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-13-2013, 6:41 AM Reply   
Your daughter painting your nails when you play dress up is ok - beacuse you go clean it off when your done!

Otherwise - nail polish - gay - not that there is naything wrong with that
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-13-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteflashwatersports1 View Post
Your daughter painting your nails when you play dress up is ok - beacuse you go clean it off when your done!

Otherwise - nail polish - gay - not that there is naything wrong with that
Why wash it right off when your done? My daughter loved the fact i kept the polish on till it finally started fading off. Her friends were all jealous that i let her do that, and complained that their dad wouldnt let them. Its a litte bit of paint on your nails. Get over your pathetic insecurities, and move on.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
gay
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-13-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
gay
This^^^
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
It "ok" if you are a catcher and just making it eaiser for the pitcher to see the signs.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
If you have a good reason like Train and are doing it for your daughter and are willing to leave it that way till it fades off to make her happy, then in my book not only do you get a pass, you also get commended for having the stones to do whatever it takes to make her happy!
On the other hand, if you call yourself a man and are painting your nails for the fun of it or to look cute or whatever, then I think you might need to reach down and check to see if your stones are still there...
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-13-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAyKvN8gVi4
Perfect song for this topic.