Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
Had a chance to drive this boat yesterday and pull a couple surfers! Wow I can't believe how easy it was to drive. Handled like a dream. Not sure what the speed control was called, not perfect pass, but it had pull up speeds on it also. I think that's a big plus when teaching someone to surf. Anyway if your thinkin about getting one, test drive it and I'm sure you will be sold!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
if anyone has suggestions on how to ballast this boat, feel free to share the info. Jeff is this the same boat you have?
Old    surfdad            04-25-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Hey Tony,

Yeah same boat. CMS and Dennis put their collective heads together and ordered custom sac for both regular and darkside. I believe the regular side sac holds 1,600 pounds and the darkside sac holds 1,300. We fill the regular side sac plus at least 350 pounds of people ballast on the regular side and the center tank filled. We typically have the trim tab set between 33% and 50%. The boat likes weight balanced, so if you are adding MORE weight in the back, be sure to compensate with weight towards the bow.

The darkside needs the same basic weight as the regular side, so that means an extra 300 or so pounds either in people or water/lead as a minimum, PLUS we've been adding about 200 to 300 pounds in the opposite side rear corner. That seems to help clean up the wake and reduce some of the lean. We set the trim tab at 50% to 75%

The boat likes weight and seems to handle it well, as long as it's distributed "reasonably".

So...that's been our ballast routine.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-25-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
I also have one and mine was the first one Jeff rode. (see classifieds) Usually we have 2 couples, and we ride regular. I fill a 400 almost full in the locker on top of the hard, then I fill whatever I can into a Nautique wedge (less than 250) on top of that sac and still close the hatch, then I create an L in the corner on the seats with 2 400's. I Fill every hard tank and adjust from there. The boat likes some weight in the front and I find that we run about 4 to 500 less RPM's when we have the front hard tank filled and the wave is not as tall and gets longer. So if the factory 3 hard tanks are 1100, plus 350 with 200 on top, plus2 400's not filled, maybe 700, our total would be around 2400, plus people but I really do not think we are close to that and it is still a trial and error and sometimes I do not even fill the front or starboard-700. I don't like to slam fill / over fill and spill. In short if you only have 3 or 4 total peeps, you can create a killer wave only loading the side that you are surfing and none in front ( with gas around $4, watch the RPM's if you care), I find that the boat leans to goofy with less weight, maybe the driver thing. confused now....good luck ! nah it throws awesome and so clean either way!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-25-2011, 2:43 PM Reply   
Wow.... me and Jeff postin at the same time, HEY JEFF!, weird I set my trim 0% on reg and 100% on goofy? but I am learning that she likes some up front and some or all on the opposite side, anywhere in between is fine also. We could have different props??
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
thanks guys, very helpful info! My frend is going to be happy to read this! Here is what we had on Sat We only rode regular. so..Port side hard tank full(not sure how much weight) 700lbs on top of that, center full, 250 i believe, about 350lbs of peeps on the seat port side and about 250 in the bow with trim tab set at various levels. The wave was nice! We were wondering whats the best way to lengthen the wave from the set up were running? we can also add more weight if needed. Jeff, whats that speed control called on that model boat? Curious if its available for my Avy? I sure liked it better then perfect pass IMO.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
Smart Tow. Its a Mercury system I think only available on the DTS motors. It is by far the best system out there. I love the Launch Mode.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
that launch mode is sweet!!
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Dennis/Jeff - would you happen to still have those custom sac measurements handy for both the regular and dark side? I'm assuming the sizes are the same from the 2010 to the 2011 model, and would love to borrow those and put in a custom order!

Greg
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2012, 2:05 PM Reply   
Greg, I called wake makers and spoke to Jason. I think he said that he had the sizes on file. He also said the the regular side sac holds 1750lbs and 1200lbs of that weight is in the locker alone.
Old    surfdad            01-21-2012, 4:40 PM Reply   
Hey Greg,

Sorry I forgot about your question! I'm fortunate, we have Cal Marine Sports do all our work, so I just shot him an email to Grant and asked him for the dimensions. Grant, sent me back a sketch with the measurements he used to order the custom sacs! Hopefully, I've attached it below. In case I didn't, here are the physical dimensions of the port side sac:

Length overall, including the finger is 120"

Width is 20"

Height of the finger/extension is 10"

Height of the rear compartment is 29"

Length of the main part of the sac in the rear compartment is 48"

The drawing also shows where Grant had the ports placed.

Hope that helps and if I didn't get that PDF to upload correctly, shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf V226 Supreme custom ballast sacks.pdf (28.2 KB, 334 views)
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
Tony tell Don to order up the custom sacks.I relay enjoyed his wave last year at banks was very impressed with the 226
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Brian & Jeff - I managed to connect with Dennis @ CMS as well, and he reminded me that when/if I upgrade to the custom sacs, I'll need to pull those stock tanks and re-fabricate the firewall. I did that on my V220 (port side only), using Starboard and a hacksaw and router to clean up the edges and worked great...but would definitely prefer to have someone like CMS fabricate them for me, so I'm checking with them!

My only other challenge is that Semper (where I bought my boat) created some nice bracing between the engine and port compartment that would need to get pulled out and rebuilt (attached pic). IF my math is correct here, I currently have a 250lb stock port tank with the 1000 lb sac on top of that in the port compartment (which fills pretty much full, maybe up to 900 lbs?), plus the 400 under the port seat, which gets me to around 1550-1600 lbs. (I also have (8) 50 lb lead sacs, for a total of 400 lbs more of moveable weight, and a center ballast tank @ 600 lbs.)

Jeff, how many pumps you guys running to each custom sac? My "idea" is to double-up 2 pumps to each custom sac if I go forward with this project, but use 1 pump as a 'floater' between the 2, depending on what side I'm filling up. Semper installed an extra Jabsco ballast puppy (attached image) in the engine compartment for me, plus I have the 5 stock tsunami pumps that came stock with the boat.

So the idea here would be to run 1 of the stock tsunami's PLUS the Jabsco to the custom sac, but add a T-valve off the end of the Jabsco, allowing me to switch the fill/empty line from port side to starboard (we normally don't fill the 'dark' side much but that needs to change this year, since we all want to get better on both sides!).

Any thoughts on the method-to-making-my-wave-madness?
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            01-22-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
Hey Greg,

Jeff, how many pumps you guys running to each custom sac?

Just 1 Tsunami 1200 per sac. We don't have the 4 minute fill times that folks seem to strive for, that just wasn't a priority to me. It sounds like you'll have blazingly fast fill times.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-25-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
H, I dont think Don want's to change his set up. I agree He should get the customs for his 226. Right now I think he fills three bags for the port side. Would be nice to only have to fill one! Can you help me plumb my enzo sac in on switches? Raj gave me a ballast puppy and I have 2 1200 tsunami pumps. I would love to get all this plumbed in on switches! Just not sure I can handle the install by myself
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-26-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
Tony what did your boat come with for stock ballast??
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
LOL, just a center 250 I have a enzo sac,(1500+) and 250lbs of lead, I run under the enzo. basically want to get this Enzo sac plumbed in before next season starts
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-27-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
Jeff, can you please post some pictures of how they set yours up? I would like to see how they made a new wall.
Old    surfdad            01-27-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Hey Brian, yeah happy to. I can get pictures of my boat this evening, both sides of the wall.
Old    surfdad            01-27-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
Ok pictures! All of them are from me standing on the swim deck looking into the compartments. They are also all of the starboard side wall.

One sort of a general picture looking forward and down.

One looking across toward the port side giving a close up of the top brace

One from the port side looking towards the starboard side showing the clips that hold the "wall" against the frame.

One showing the close up of the aluminum bracing on the wall.

There is a frame brace on the floor that is similar to the brace at the top, but I seem to have failed to get that picture!
Attached Images

Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-28-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Jeff, did they fabricate a new piece of plastic for the wall or just extend it down with another piece. I do like what they did, it looks very strong.

Also, where did they relocate the battery's? I'm guessing up front where they should be in the first place.

Thanks for all your help.
Old    surfdad            01-28-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
Batteries are up where they should be They are located in that storage compartment forward of the observers seat, and under the glove compartment.

Those separator pieces were newly fabricated and run from floor to the cross brace at the top.

We "may" be heading out tomorrow, let me know if you need me to take any other pictures for you. Happy to help.