Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-24-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
First ride of the morning on some glass, only a handful of jumps into my run, I throw a scarecrow and my board snaps down the middle of where my boot is. There's a fracture on the top but nothing on the bottom side. For such a pretty penny I would never of thought it'd snap after no more than 20 runs on it. Tried not to let it bog me down for the day and rode a friend's board to rid my sorrows Hahah.

What's the best way to approach this? It was purchased at TSR yet I do not still have the receipt. Should I contact TSR or Hyperlite for assistance? Thanks for the help, guys!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-24-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
First I would go to talk to Tsr they should be able to help you out. If that doesnt work then I would call hyperlites warranty department. They were very helpful to me. Hope it works out for you.
Old     (wallnut21)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-25-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen to me. I contacted the dealer who I purchased it from (As I was told to do from Hyperlite) and they then submitted a warranty claim. Hyperlite will then send them an Return Autorization #. Once they dealer gives you this number you will send it directly to Hyperlite. I'm still waiting on my new board but it should be here anytime.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
i snapped my 09 Marek in early september of last year (landed real back foot heavy on a hs bs 360) and basically did what mike is telling you to do. they replaced it and i haven't had a problem since, and am still riding the board (i am 6'2 220lbs).
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-25-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
2 of them. same trick, same place on the board. If you have the green pvc core its one of the first ones off the press. If its the pink pvc core....congrats your one of the few to break those. lol They are breakable....just depends how you ride. do what jack says and go shred your face off.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-25-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
We were doing a hyperlite demo today and one of my friends broke the tail of a 2010 marek on a poorly landed dum dum. He landed right on the tail of it.

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 06-25-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-25-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
there seems to be a pattern here. mine was right behind my right binding. same scenario, different trick. but none the less, still broke
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-25-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
Odd it's happened to so many people in the exact same spot on the board. My deck from 2001 has been ridden countless times, can handle abuse from rails, sliders, etc., but an '09 top of the line board can't survive longer than a year. Hmm...
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
yeah but i bet your board is two to three times as heavy as a board like the marek. i have an 05 gator gonzalez that is virtually indestructible but is super heavy. its the same thing with bindings i love my 2010 bindings because they are really light and real comfortable but im almost certain they wont last more than two seasons max. you gotta decide what you like durable or light weight. (yes i wish and hope that it isnt always this way)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-26-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Exactly ryan, the new marek is apparently super light (I didn't ride, just filmed for the boardshop), so I can see how it would break easily. Plus this guy is a board breaking machine, he went through 5 boards in one summer a few years ago, it was unreal.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-26-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Torrey, have you slid the board? Being that you got it at TSR I would assume you have. If so then you are SOL. If not, just go back to TSR's pro shop with your board and exchange it out. I'm sure they have your name in the computer. Did you pay cash or cc for it? If you used a cc just go online to your statement and print it out, but like i said, if you slid the board you voided the warranty, so if there are some slider marks on the bottom, make sure to try and scrub those things off as hard as possible before bringing the board back lol. You can definitely break a board in 20 sets though with how light they are nowadays. After 20 sets, I would definitely notice a significant difference in the pop of the board unless you weigh only 150 lbs or something.
Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-04-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
didn't snap it but i pulled the insert right through the fiberglass top sheet....blows big time since i've had it out on the water less than 10 times (and yes I did check that my hardware was tight i check damn near every time i fall)
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
seems that Russel and Hype need to do some RD on this issue lol
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
yea! i had a crack on the top but nothing visible on the bottom, right under my binding. from doing a scarecrow also. I brought it to my shop, Ultimate Wake Watersports, and it was only a small bubble that was forming under my binding. The guy said it was cracked a little bit, stepped on it till it broke in half, and now ive been waiting for almost 3 weeks because they said they sent it to hyperlite because it looked like it had been hitting rails.

The only thing that upsets me is the fact that i have a company board for hitting rails that i use... and it was only a small little crack and i was riding the board fine with it there. Now I have no wake board and now i've been told that hyperlite might no warantee it...

Also, im 18 years old and had to work all last summer just to afford it... sweet.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   

from Nick Schrein on Vimeo.

There's the video where the Marek breaks. It's the first rider, Joel Wagner.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
OK, I will try to answer as many questions as i possibly can in a single post. I am sorry if this gets a little lengthy.

First, there is a reason why all board companies void the warranty when you hit sliders, park features, rails, ramps benches or slide across cheese graters. The damge to the bottom of the board negativley effects the life of the board. So if you want to hit a slider that's fine, but just know you are voiding your warranty. That is why I (and lots of other riders) use a different or older board for winching and cable parks. If you cant afford to destroy an $800 Marek at the cable or behind a winch (I know I cant), then dont use it there. Go to your local shop and ask if you can buy a blemished board from teh factory, or go to ebay and buy an older board, or take your buddies board and use that. What ever you do dont use the board you want to keep in pristine condition to slide that perfect concrete on the side of a canal.

Second, some people's riding style is conducive to detroying boards. So if you always break a board when ever you try a dum dum you might think of changing something up. Maybe it is buying a tank of a board that you can use as a diving board also. Maybe it is not trying a dum dum again? Or maybe it is just going to a camp and learning how to land the trick with their instructions so you dont go through so many boards. A day at most camps is less than buying a high end board. In some cases it might be just changing the shape or the company on the board too. I am confident in the Marek board though, I have put these boards on the breaker, I have seen the worst Rusty can throw at them and I have talked to alot of riders. The Marek is a tough board and trust me when I say the guys here at Hyperlite hve put a ton of time R&Ding the Marek and the Strata track system. It is a tough board.

Third, there is a reason why car companies put mileage limits on their warranites. the more you use a product, the shorter the life of the product might be. (not a guarantee though, I have a roam board that is still functioning after sliding, grinding and an encounter with a metal sprinkler pipe) You are putting your board through a very hositle enviroment. Jumping, landing, fliping, twisting, carving, sun, heat, water & cold tempratures will effect lots of products. Same with a wakeboard. Think about the hell you put your board through in a summer. That can effect the life span of a board. But you dont see any of the companies putting odometers on the boards.

Fourth, I know it sucks to have your board go down in the middle of the season. That is more reason to have a great relationship with the shop you bought your board from. All of our shops get updates from me personally about warranty policies and procedures to make their lives easier and in turn making your life easier. I may be a little biased, but I am very confident in our warranty policy and the length of how long it takes to get products replaced. Again, I might be bised, but I think we have the best policies and procedures to get you taken care of if there happens to be a defect in your product. If you dont want to take my word for it, ask the shop you are buying your product from. This is a smart thing to do any way so you can be an educated consumer.

Fifth (& final point I promise) using the wrong hardware can effect the life of your product also. If you have a 2010 Marek you noticed a warning label on your board about this. You MUST use the right hardware to attach your Hyperlite boots. Using the wrong hardware can void your warranty & there is a reason for that. I can tell just by looking at the board and tell you what bindings, what screws & what ever extras you have added on. For both of our sakes use the right hardware. You will thank me, actaully you wont have to thank me and you wont have to even deal with me because more than likely you wont have to warranty anything.

Like always, if youhave any questions feel free to email me or call into Hyperlite. Our customer service is here all week to answer your questions and if they cant answer it they will call me. Hope I answered all of your questions. Thanks.

Corey M @ Hyperlite
coreym@hyperlite.com
800-938-4646
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
Word, I love it when industry guys get on here.

By the way Corey, in no way was I trying to rip on Hype's stuff. It was a couple of demo boards that had been ridden to death, and not many boards ever stood up to the guy in that video (Joel). He landed way tail heavy on that dum dum and ate it. Up until that point, he loved the board, and honestly, it's possibly the biggest I've ever seen him go, but he just breaks boards. Like I said, he went through 4 or 5 CWB's in a matter of 2 or so months the year before last.

The only reason I posted that video was to see if that was the same fracture line that the others had, probably should have made that clearer. I feel like that's probably a key weak point in a lot of boards, and unless you're riding a tank, that's where it's going to break the easiest if you land tail heavy, just because the binding acts as a focal point on it. I've seen my fair shair of broken boards, and the majority are nose/tail breaks, and only one fracture through the middle. I mean, maybe someday that is something that could be fixed, but that's likely a little far ahead in the technology department for boards, haha.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-08-2010, 12:32 AM Reply   
No worries Nick, just trying to keep everyone informed. If I thought it was a personal attack i would have responded that way. I took is as a legitimate question. Teh technology is getting there. Look at the Conspiracy, or the strata track or "The System" Hyperlite is progressing in the right direction. I am VERY confident in our product managers, riders and crew here at Hyperlite. You guys will see soon enough what I am talking about.

Corey M @ Hyperlite
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-08-2010, 4:06 AM Reply   
Amen