Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
I am unfortunately in the market for a rigid knee brace. I had knee surgery last December and was rehabbing just fine. Took a nasty fall last weekend during my first set and my knee is not happy. It doesn't feel like the previous injury at all.

So, the big question:

What knee brace do y'all recommend? I have seen a lot of reference to CTI braces on WW. Does anyone have experiences with other brace manufacturers?

Thanks.

Mario-
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
CTI for sure. They have the best product on the market, and the customer service is second to none. They don't slip at all in the water, and are so comfortable that you'll hardly know it's on.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-12-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
CTI... they slip just a little and the velcro doesn't work that great after a few months of abuse (which is totally expected btw)... but they are still without a doubt the best brace on the market and I love mine. Can't imagine without the Anti-migration strap though... a necessity for sure.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
had a don joy. knee hurt all summer. the next summer replaced it with a cti- no more knee pain. enough said. i will add the dj never stayed in place.....
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
My cti is working perfectly so far (been out twice) and it doesnt slip or whatever. Definitely recommend one.
Old     (jondextan)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
i'm currently using a breg, i'm okay with it but sometimes my knee hurt in not-so-good-landings. could someone link me up on the CTI brace you're wearing?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-13-2010, 5:00 AM Reply   
Dex - here is a link to the custom brace they specifically call out for wakeboarding. I had a Donjoy and switched to CTi with the anti-migration installed. I have to tighten it after my leg gets wet, but after that, it doesn't move.

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
Dex - here is a link to the custom brace they specifically call out for wakeboarding. I had a Donjoy and switched to CTi with the anti-migration installed. I have to tighten it after my leg gets wet, but after that, it doesn't move.

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668

Kat, just get the brace wet before you put it on. That is what I do, and that way you don't have to retighten it.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-13-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
I used to do that....until I dropped it and it sunk to the bottom! Luckily, we were in a Florida lake that isn't too deep and I was able to retrieve it!
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-14-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
I had a DJ brace with migration strap since 2002. Finally gave it away and got a new DJ. It never moved and never failed in a hard crash. I use it for every physical activity and the velcro never wore out and neither did the pads. Every wakeboard set for 8 years it was on. I will never leave DJ braces
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-17-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
I had a Don Joy brace worked very well but i retired it quickly after my rehab like 8 months. if you had ACL surgery ask you doctor but he will say you dont need it other than a piece of mind to get back to were you left off.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-17-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I've been using knee braces for years and after recently breaking my tib i had my doc give me a prescription for new knee braces. I can say i am more than happy with my newest generation Donjoys...anti-migration straps, air condoyle pads, extension stops, power strap....i've only ridden once this season but they didn't move an inch. I also ride moto so the bolt on shin guards are awesome. I am super happy with my braces
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I would have to disagree with Jim, Each Dr has their own opinion and reason for it I am sure. Had the fortunate part of having a stellar Dr who did my knee(ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus from wakeboarding). While he explained to me for normal everday stuff, basketball, baseball, running, even hockey which i do still play very competitively after 2 seasons in the AHL no brace required and he encouraged me to ditch it prontofor those.

Wakeboarding on the other hand he strongly strongly recommended that I wear my CTI II. The water has funny ways of eating you up he explained. It' worse than any pavement. He also said if I still snow skied to wear it. (I was a rail,park junky so I would be all contorted up, but retired for snowboarding). He explained wakeboarding and skiing are the 2 top sports for knees and a brace for my injury in bith of those would aid me tremendously
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
I hope to hear from my medical insurance this week whether or not it will be covered. I had some arthritic material removed from the backside of my knee cap. It looked like a sea of jelly fish before the operation. After they were done cutting away, it was all nice and clear.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Mario-
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
If they deny APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL!
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-25-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
UPDATE: First round = DENIED.

I have started the appeal process. Hopefully it works. My biggest issue is how a surgeon (the one who fixed my knee) recommends the knee brace and someone else denies it. I was told the process will take up to 30 days.

I have a feeling this is going to take some time.

Mario-
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-26-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
What's the best way to get fitted for a CTI and what's the price??
Old     (jondextan)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2010, 5:40 PM Reply   
my local ortho shop has a pair of CTi Morphs for a very very very low price that fits me well. really consider getting them to use while riding. any opinions on the CTi Morph? will they hold? shift? last?.. as well as the CTi OTS?