Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-03-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
I was a ski world a coulpe of days ago and i over hear someone talking about a brand new hyperlite wakeboard cost 50$ from factory and the rest is mark-up or profit that means the make about 350$ profit thats just insane if you have heard any difference please post
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-03-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
i doubt it is that low... but at the same time the markup is pretty high... i am curious on the cost per board
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-03-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
i own a boardshop. basically i will spill the beans.........

find 3 chinese hookers
ask their prices for half and half
divide by 7

there is the cost formula
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-03-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
they are not that great of margins. i wish they were like that because i get hooked up at dealer cost. each company is different, but i know hyperlite charges dealers a ton, as do most others, they only make their margins at all if they sell a ton because then they get an extra discount. mainly if you sell a few, the freight alone takes away all your margin since you have to sell at min ad to sell because everyone else does. if a dealer sold at retail they would make some money, but that would be overpriced...
Old    byerly137pro            09-03-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
When I purchased my board at my local boardshop in Toronto the guy gave me dealer price plus $50 so that he could turn some profit and he said the reason was its hard for them to move (sell) such high-end wakeboarding gear so he just wanted to get rid of it and thus I got about a $300 discount. Pays to be in a town that has no clue about wakeboarding.
Old    catalyst            09-03-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
you can buy a 3rd hyperlite board wich means it has like a graphic problem or a fin hole drilled where it shouldnt have been drilld,real minor stuff for around 200 bucks straight from the hyperlite factory.
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-03-2004, 6:42 PM Reply   
do you just call them up or sumthin?? how do u contact them to get one of those boards
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-03-2004, 11:16 PM Reply   
Zack, stores buy the boards for about $150 from the manufacturer. They do buy in bulk so they can get them cheaper that way, but they still get about $250 mark up. I know this because I bought a board, it came damaged from shipping, so the guy offered to sell it for the same price he paid for it which was $150. So I end up buying a top of the line wakeboard for $150 and it took 5 minutes of applying epoxy fiberglass resin to fix it.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-04-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
Wkerat has it down exactly. Shipping is the real killer. Most of the boards ship from Washington, so if you are on the other side of the country...like we are, most of your profit (at min. ad. price) is taken up in shipping. Now, if you are a huge shop, you get a better discount, and still do ok. It's the little guys like us that struggle.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-04-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
And by the time its been shipped to the UK taxed, taxed & taxed again they really have your pants down
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-04-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
It cracks me up how little some people really know...
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-04-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   
This is really funny. You people really are clueless when it comes to pricing. If I could get all my boards from the Manufacturer for 150 bucks I/we (boardshops) sure would be making a larger profit then we are. The 150 bucks you paid leo was for the damaged board not the price of a first quality board. The dealer can buy 1st 2nd's and thirds' 1st are what we sell on the shelfs 2nds we sometime use as demos and thirds are good for benches. But if you can make it and sell it to me for $150 you are in the wrong Biz.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-04-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
well said Ben
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-04-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
I was told once by Curt Narmore that he had $120 just in the cost of the materials for each board he produced. Granted, he was a smaller operation and was using slightly higher quality glass, but still. Not a lot of room to cover business overhead, let alone any profit if he were to wholesale those boards to the dealers for $150.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-04-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Actually, I maybe was the total cost for him to produce one deck including labor in that cost, not just raw materials. It was a while ago, I don't recall exactly. But still, it is consistent with what Ben and others are saying. Dealer cost has got to be fairly high, and then add the shipping...
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-04-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
In a retail boardshop situation, the markup on clothing is much, much higher than it is on hardgoods. That being said, retailers don't make as much as you think off of selling you your new ride. Whoever said $150 earlier was way, way off of cost on the average.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       09-04-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
i bought a liquid force board from a board shop around here (manager is a friend of the family), they sold it to me for cost supposedly and it was 200 dollars so... im not sure if thats right or not but thats what i got it for.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-04-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
The $150 number is definately off. You could swing a number close to that on pro-form but for a shop they charge more. I remember talking to a shop owner and I could get my stuff cheaper than he could get for his shop. Most retailers make their money on the clothes.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-05-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
The store that sold me the board said "I paid $150 for the board, and thats how much I will sell it to you considering the damage." I did buy the board at the end of the summer (like september), so possibly he bought the boards cheaper with the newer boards coming out.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on September 05, 2004)
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-05-2004, 10:52 PM Reply   
Who cares what it cost , support your sport. Competition keeps prices in check and with Hyperlight, LiquidForce, Gator, CWB, all making good stuff they will keep $ in check. What ever the market will bare.........it's the American way.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-05-2004, 11:09 PM Reply   
It has been many years, but I used to work at a board shop and a Proform board (hookup deal from the factory to sales employees of shops in hopes that you'll probably push the board brand that you personally ride)I think was around $250 for a decent board (not a special cores). But prices have increased some since then overall. The proform price was less than the shop could get the boards for..but we were also a pretty small shop. Definitely made the $$ on the clothes.
Old    jojomantor            09-06-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
im sure it depends on the board they are making the byerly would probably be more expensive to make than say the era, so i think it varies but i highly doubt its as low as 50 bucks thats hella cheap
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-08-2004, 8:03 PM Reply   
I think that dealer cost is about 65% of msrp. They can get additional discounts for ordering in quanity. Most manufacturers are going to have minimum order requirements for each season. Definately more mark up on accesories.

Kinda like going out to eat, most of the profits are in the beverages , not the meal. ( the cost of a med. fountain Coke is about .10 to .12 & look at what they charge)
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2004, 5:02 AM Reply   
ive gotten a few boards for dealer price board and bindings were about 400
the bindings would be about 200 same with baord
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2004, 5:02 AM Reply   
ive gotten a few boards for dealer price board and bindings were about 400
the bindings would be about 200 same with baord

i just wnana know how much boats get marked up they gett mighty expensivve
Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-09-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
The best deal is to buy a season old board. I was able to buy my 04 Byerly at the begining of the season out of a board shop for $300.00 This is a smoking deal. However, my buddy just (this week) bought a new 04 Byerly (now last years model) for $180.00 shipped off ebay. This is a great deal for anybody.
If your like me, and need to have the newest model, then a good deal is a little different. If you can get an 05 for under MAP then you got the best price available right now. My 05 Premier was $40 under MAP delivered to my door. I'm not going to say what I paid, but by the time I sold the 04 Byerly, I only had to throw $110.00 at it, and I'm on the newest equipment money can buy.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
dave, just buy from wileys in seattle, they do their best to get around all the overseas crap
Old     (blev2)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-10-2004, 10:54 PM Reply   
I worked in a wakeboard shop for 3 years.... you can knock off about 50% and thats what the dealer cost is.... the company probably marks that up about 50%.. so $100 to make..... $200 to the dealer... and about $400 to you. so if you get a chance... talk the dealer down.. if you bug them enough they will go