Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-28-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Going out on a house boat for a few days for the first time at Melones. The question is how far should I secure the Sanger away from the house boat for the nights?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
We houseboated for ten years in a row, and always tied right up next to the houseboat without any problems. Even in some Lake Powell wind squalls
Get some good fenders, and use a couple lines to keep it secure.

Here's an old pic from 2001 at Lake Powell, just get up in the morning and slide right in...

Name:  Powell smaller version.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  94.7 KB
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-28-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
yep, just tie her up like youre on the dock.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-28-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
What I like to do is drop my anchor 75-100' away from the houseboat (cliped to a buoy when away from houseboat) and using my anchor buddy I back up towards the houseboat and tie off a rope to the two boats. This way you can pull yourself to the houseboat to get off and then the anchor buddy returns it to a safe distance away from the houseboat.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have never tied up to a houseboat, but I took the advice off WW and purchase two "hipity hops" for cheap at wall-mart. Perfect when tying up to other boats.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-28-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
hipty-hops?
I have 2 med size bumbers.
First idea was like Phatboy does because that is what we do on the beach, but would rather have the boat right there and not have to pull it in, but I don't want to damage the my boat either.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-28-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
On the houseboats we have rented in the past, it is tough to get good bumper placement due to the design of the houseboat. Always seemed to have a big edge or unusual lines that made it difficult to tie up without damage. Similar to the picture above, my boat always seemed to be below the deck and made it difficult to tie off without damage. I keep my boat 15-20 feet away from the house boat, two pulls on the rope and it is right there. It also keeps the foot traffic down, if I was tied to the houseboat everyone would walk through my boat and hang out on the swim step, etc. It isn't a huge deal, but the less traffic the better. I also noticed that with a large group of people on the houseboat, I would find "garbage" finding its way into my boat when attached. Beer cans, food, smokes, etc, that either the wind or people tossing food into the water seemed to end up in the boat.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-28-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
If you have board racks, make sure to swivel them in. I left mine out and a wave caused a board rack finger to get hooked under the rail of the house boat. Needless to say I had to replace a board rack.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-28-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
I tie right next to the house boat with no problems.
Attached Images

Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
Hippity Hop..
Attached Images

Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-29-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Hippity Hop..
Where is the cheapest place to get those?