Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kuz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
Hi,
Have a couple questions for anybody with experience with the ProFlight Chubby tower. We have a 2012 Sanger v215. Came with a Chubby Tower. We are hydrofoilers that use the trick pressure release for safety. So a lot of pull is applied to our tower. It CREAKS with hard pull. We have no tower speaker or extra weight on the tower. Does anyone else have this problem?

We may be spoiled because our previous boat had a Samson edge that collapsed either direction. We would go forward to get it out of the way in the garage. To get in and out of boat. It was very quiet. We do not remember getting all the creaking noise this tower gets. Does anyone know if you can fold the Samson tower forward on a Sanger? we are considering changing out towers.

Last question. Is there any market for minimally used towers? If we do change out.
Thanks
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-11-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
We have that tower on our boat and no issues with it creaking. For reference we have a bimini, tower speakers, and racks on the tower. I go through the boat and tighten/check hoses, bolts, etc...every season. The bolts can usually be tightened yearly I've found. Maybe that will help your issue?
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-11-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
I have the same tower. Mine doesn't creak, but I have noticed that the bolts can work their way out. Specifically the ones that hold the upper tower to the lower tower (the pivot point when you take the tower down). Tighten them up to remove any play, maybe it will quiet down. I haven't had any problems with the mounting bolts (the ones that go through the gelcoat) coming loose at all, but check those, too. To me creaking implies movement somewhere. If tightening everything up doesn't help, maybe it's as simple as putting some lube in some strategic places. I know it helped on my mtb handlebars.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-22-2013, 2:16 PM Reply   
I had a bit of noise once on my Chubby and found that the connection bolts through the rod ends on the hinge were loose. Never had any other noise from the tower. Only thing I don't like about the Chubby is that it does not fold down very low.
I have had some squeeks from the plastic pivot on the post at the tower top. Fixed that with some silicone lube.