Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-12-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Ok so here is the deall
I have tried a Tantrum many times, and always drop the handle. The last 3 times iv tried it i dont even get upside down and my rotation stops, and i bust my butt.(basicaly i land on my BACK HARD!!!)
So then i fig hey... why not a 360. So i tried it, }and as i spin im on axis, and it really looks good...... until i try to pass the handle i miss it and keep rotatin. So i land w/o the handle.
THENNNN i tried a backroll and i either land w/o the handle or i try to hold the handle and under rotate...... so the point im gettin to is
should i just commit to one or keep tryin them all..... im just so confused
O i can do a 360 and a tantrum on a trampoline so i just dont know i need some help!!!!!!!
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
Im in the same situation as you are, I was trying all the three at the end of last summer. I would say backroll is the easiest of those three in my opinion, theres alot of people that stick backrolls alot quicker than 3's. Just try all three and see which u get closer with then stick with that one and try it every set
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-13-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
I think the backroll would be the easiest,I havent landed it but I am pretty close after a few attempts.
Old     (rimreaper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Out of all 3 of those tricks i've landed backroll b4 (only once though and it was at the end of last summer). Now i can't really do it anymore cuz i've gained like 10 pounds and my arms can't hold the extra force unless i hold on w/ both hands. I would recomend getting good at 180's and grabs, and only try those tricks like 1-3 times every time u go cuz there painful when u crash. If ur in good shape and can get air then 4 sure do backrolls. But if ur not just try backside 180's (u have to pass the rope) and then progress to 360's.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2006, 3:22 AM Reply   
Watch some wakeboarding instructionals. I'd recommend "The Book". Try to perfect your progressive edge and your take off heelside and toeside. Learn all four frontside 180s over one wake, then w2s. Learn high and clean HS and TS wake jumps - also switch (that would be four non-rotational w2w jumps). Try to cleanly grab every one of these tricks. These are the most important basic moves to learn. They are the foundation for almost every more advanced trick. A HS back roll will not be that much of a big deal once you have perfect HS w2w jumps. Same with TS back rolls and TS w2w jumps.
Old                08-18-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
You should go with the backroll. I tried 3's all summer w/o alot of success and then tried the backroll and got it on my 3rd session of trying it.
Old     (intchamp)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-23-2006, 2:22 AM Reply   
I worked on the H/S 3 all year last year, finally got it down consistent now. Landed a T/S 3 a few weeks ago, but... you know how everybody you talk to asks if you can do "flips". Learn the backroll. That is where I am at now. It is ALOT easier than a tantrum.
Old     (bdeisel)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Yup, Backroll is the way to go for a first base invert. I just got back from camp and I saw I guy trying to learn Tantrums and knocked himself out! He even had a helmet on. Or if you have a good TS 180 maybe Fronts or Scarecrows might be an option.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
The tantrum is the easiest to me. The very first time i tired it i let go of the handle about 10 ft form the wake and just rode into the wake and did a straight back layout flip and i ended up landing on the other wake perficly and rode away with no handle. I then tried it with the handle and landed it on my first real time with the handle. The backrol gave me alot of trouble though. After about 30 tries i finally got it. 3's wernt to bad i just kept missing the handle but finally got it.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-30-2007, 4:23 AM Reply   
Taylor,

Don't give up on any of those tricks. It sounds like you are very close. The handle pass on the 3 is the whole trick. My first time landing it the driver cut into my landing creating slack helping me get the handle. You might want to try that as an option. You sound like you are i a position where you could easily stomp 2-3 new tricks in one set. That's pretty exciting.

If you stop trying a certain trick a lot of time it only slows your progression unless their is a building block you are missing for that trick. If you have video of the 3 tricks we could help break each of them down for you.
Old     (bdeisel)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Steve, thats a great tip for learning the 3. I'll be making sure to try that. The 3 is on my list for my next trick to learn.
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
one of my tips for the 3 since you seem to not be able to pass the handle
first just get used to pasing the handle on the tramp and then start doing flat spins on the water
then the easiest way for me to pass the handle is to just give a really big tug the second you get off the wake
this makes it so there is a good amout of slack in the rope so it makes it supper easy to pass the hadle because nothing is preventing you from doing it

but overal backrolls are the easiest
good luck
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-26-2007, 11:48 PM Reply   
Trick for the handle pass start your cut witth the handle no more than 6 inches off your waist. the closer the handle is to you from tthe start the closer it will be on the landing. good luck
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-08-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
The handle pass w/me depends on two things, how close the rope is to my body when leaving the wake and also waiting a second before throwing it. If I throw it right off the wake then it's harder for me to get the handle. Although it doesn't help me, a fellow rider couldn't ever make the handle pass unless he flattened off of his edge before he hit the wake.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
i do all 3 of them and i stick backrolls and tantrums everytime, the 3's im about 3/5

id stick with the inverts first, there alot easier since you dont have the handle passes to worry about.

and ive heard stories of people being taught backrolls that couldnt even go w2w yet

(Message edited by dlwsrider on May 10, 2007)
Old     (wakeboarders197)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
we think the tantrum cuz its the best and easy! But yet keep tryin them all
Old     (ncwake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-20-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Dude just focus on the pop and the handle pass for the 360. I landed my first one today and it was the best feeling ever
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-20-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
hey I am looking at starting the tantrum next month, question is when I first start to throw them should/can I start off like at 21 at about 65/70. I took a month just to get the nerve to do flips on my tramp last year. just something about going upside down. I can do everything to the point of the excution at the wake, I know "SACK UP" but I need to get over this mental freaking block! So I figured this would be the easiest way?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-22-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
I like that idea of letting go of the rope before you hit the wake on a tantrum, then throwing it without the handle. Has anyone else done this? What are your thoughts on this learning technique?
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 12:28 AM Reply   
360: Concentrate on jumping first, if it is a good jump then spin it. You do not need a lot of speed or pop to spin a 3. I learned by taking my fins off and spinning surface and one wake 3's without the worries of catching an edge.
Backroll: I think this is easiest, since the edging is familiar. Again you do not need a lot of speed for this one either, remember to keep the rope low and lead with your hips. You want to be very consistant on your wake to wake jumps. I actually landed a roll to revert first, I kept landing sideways so I just went with it and added the 180. If you are over rotating you may try adding the 180, you can always remove the rotation as you come down for the landing.
Tantrums: I would keep the handle, you can always use it to save you from crashing really hard (sometimes)with a late tug. This one you need a lot of speed to trip you at the wake. I actually landed this trip before a standard backroll. But, looking back the backroll seems easier.
I always have several tricks going at one time to help me avoid frustration when something is not working.
Keep riding hard and don't forget to stretch this will help save you from injury and keep you on the water.
Mike
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 12:37 AM Reply   
Kenny-
Attach a rope and handle to a nearby tree or something else that is sturdy about 20 feet away from you tramp when you are centered in a riding position. This has saved me many times, especially when under or over rotating and flying off the tramp. You can use the handle to either pull you onto your side if you think you are going to land on your head/face or help you get your feet under you as you get ejected from the trampoline surface. It also helps you maintain your position and orientation on the tramp. Hope this is helpful.