Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-04-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
As some of you may know, the GCWA is having their Spring Round Up next weekend (April 12-14) at Bethy Creek. I was talking with some friends here in the Kilgore/Longview area about going, but we all decided it was further than we wanted to pull our boats and that the water would probably still be colder than we would like. After a bit of discussion, it was suggested that we have our own little spring kickoff event locally at Brandy Branch Reservoir (Pirkey Power Plant). We were out there last week and water temps varied from 85 at the outlet to 66 at the dam. Also, the lake is SUPER full. It's actually flowing into the drain (first time I'm ever seen that in the 20 years I've been going to Pirkey). First Annual "Brandy Branch Blast Off"? Who's interested?

Old     (bwood357)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-04-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
i might be interested. is there anywhere to camp?
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-04-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, there is nowhere to camp. There's a picnic area that is only accessible by boat on the western side of the lake. That being said, there is almost always somewhere smooth to ride on the lake, regardless of the wind direction. My favorite part of the lake (other that it being heated) is that it is essentially a private lake. There are rarely more than 3 or 4 pleasure boats on the lake at a time, even during the summer. Also, the water is exceptionally clear for a Texas lake.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-04-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
Mr shelly the water in the Trinity is not bad at all. I went last weekend and it was 70-75 water temp and it was fine with just boardies. Spring round up is going to be a great event.
Old     (bwood357)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-04-2013, 5:50 PM Reply   
i might drive over sat. morning. my wife will be out of town on a girls trip and i will have my 2 yr old. she has yet to give me the ok to take him out by myself. it would be a struggle trying to load and unload with just me and him. im so ready to get some water time in, i might have to sneak over there anyway!
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-04-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
I'm not knocking the GWCA event at all, I just don't wanna drive that far. We just figured it would be fun to get a bunch of local folks together to kick off the season in our area.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-04-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
I know your not trying knock gcwa I was just saying the water is not all that cold. It would be awesome if you could make it but I totally understand with it being so far. Bwood if your worried about launching by yourself you can always find some people to help you out. Join the gcwa group on fb and post for thirds. Cheers
Old     (bwood357)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-06-2013, 1:13 AM Reply   
shelly-
i noticed you are on the wake the world FB group. i am on that group and have been in contact with bill about being a driver at the august 5th event. i would really like to meet and hang out with some of you guys before event. that being said, the weekend of the 12th is not looking so good for me, i probably wont know if i can make it till last minute. just wondering if you guys would be out there the following weekend also?
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-08-2013, 6:00 AM Reply   
Added you on FB Brandon.

Starting to get a lot of interest in this. Tell your friends! Let's make this thing BIG!