Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Epic had a debut of 2 of the electric boats last Friday. Here is some of the video of the boat and propulsion system.
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=10447814
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
holley molley 28 batteries.... thats a lot of extra ballast
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-02-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
150K...wow.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
and over 10 sold already
Old     (osu_bcky1)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-02-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Anyone else skeptical of this hybrid boat thing? Correct me if im wrong, but hybrid cars get their gas savings by converting the energy used for braking back into electricity. Last time I checked there are no brakes on a boat. And Epic says you can go 1-3 hours without using gas...how much gas do you use when the juice runs out...and what does your electricity bill look like at home? I would love to be wrong about this cause no one likes spending more than they have to for gas. Any thoughts?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
The generator is a Volkswagen Diesel I think less then a 2 liter. The amount of fuel used during a normal day on the lake will be far less then the normal day running the 8.1 liter gas powered engine.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-02-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
I've got a couple friends that work for a solar company installing commercial and residential arrays. I was mentioning this to them. They thought it was pretty cool. They said the systems they install could definitely power this. How cool would that be? Boat house with a solar array to ride up to and recharge your ride? BAM!!

Props to Epic for pushing the envelope. I can imagine that in the next few years the prices will come down and others will start to explore the technology. Ben, any idea on how long it takes to recharge when plugged in? How sick would a fast turnaround time be? I imagine ski schools would be all over that!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
I had no idea it could go 3 hours without using fuel. That's about the time we spend on the lake each weekend morning. 8:00-11:00 and off, hook up a solar charger and let it trickle through the day and/or over the week. If they get that price down, I'll be trading in the bu
Old     (cwitham)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-02-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
electric motors are natively suited to boating so much better than gas engines. There isn't much load on the prop like there is the wheels of a car. Turning something like the prop at low torque high rpms is right up an electric motors alley. Its great someone is finally trying it.
Old     (calabriaman)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Big Heavy, which solar company do your friends work for? My company sells our product to Solar companies.
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
those people have for sure never heard of wakeboarding before and for sure never ridin on a "wakeboat" before
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
Still Impressed and wish I could afford it.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2009, 3:14 AM Reply   
This is great!!

The generator is a diesel, this will work great in Europe!

Which the price is a bit lower, but still..