Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
I have an 04 X2 and whenever i go to fill my ballast sometimes they fill and empty fine and other times they won't. Sometimes they will throw the reset button under the switch when i try and fill or empty. Does anyone know what the problem could be. Sometimes they work fine and other times only 1 will work. Need some help!
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-04-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Mine do the same thing every now and then. I just flip the fill and empty back and forth a couple of times and then either fill or empty them. Since the pumps self prime, its probably air that trips the breakers and it prevents your pumps from burning up.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-04-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
My 06 X1 does the same thing. I do what Elle does and sometimes it works and sometimes it dosn't. I read about changing the impellers to the yellow osome where to the yellow ones. Maybe someone can help us out with this problem?
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I hope someone can help b/c it sucks paying so much for a boat and crap not working the way it should!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
There have been a ton of threads on this problem and a search will yield a lot of results and experiences of how to deal with it...from impellers, to wiring, to 'tricks'.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Brandon,
I did some searches and maybe I'm not using the correct search terms b/c the returns weren't that great, so I'll explain further.

This issue has been a source of irritation for many, so you are not alone.

The manufacturer has recognized the problem(s) and responded with the yellow impeller. I think they are more flexible and 'slippery' to help alleviate the issue many have had with these systems.

Some people think the impellers get 'stuck' in a position and have found different work-arounds and some people feel the wiring isn't sufficient to properly power the pumps.

From my experience, what you can try w/o investing $ is:

1) Make sure you bump up your RPMs (~1000) when filling/emptying to help prevent too much of a draw on your electrical system and help power the pumps. You can actually hear your pump whine at a higher pitch as you supply higher RPM.
2) When filling, just before you are done flick the switch to empty (your next anticipated direction) for a couple seconds. This changes the direction of the impeller vanes to (hopefully) increase your chance of proper operation when you go to empty.

Paul

(Message edited by phat_in_cincy on June 04, 2007)
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Thanks Paul! I will give it a try! It is just really frustrating when they don't work right! It messes the whole day of boarding up. It's just some days they work fine and other day's only 1 will work! I had to come home from the lake yesterday with the back tank full b/c it wouldn't empty
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-04-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
brandon, I was having a similar problem with my port pump last year. The dealer said it was a bad pump and replaced it under warranty. Even though you might be out of your warranty, it might be worth a shot, depends on how much your dealer will go to bat for you with MC.......Good luck.......
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
I think my warranty was up on the 26th of May, MAybe being that close MC will still Honor it!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Brandon,
I understand. I had been there.
Yes...talk to your dealer. See what they have to say and ask about the new impellers.
Paul
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-04-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
New pumps come with new impellers I switched the other two earlier this year.......I had a hard time priming the starboard pump, but now they're golden.....
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-04-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Word on the street is, (which my 04 X-2 did the same thing on all three pumps) was that the gauge of wire running to the pumps was on the "small" side. Causing the wire to run hot and pop the breaker. Again just my two cents.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Paul,
Would the motor still be whining even if the impellers are bad, or would nothing happen at all?
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-04-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
Brandon,
They would.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
A lot of times when i flip the switch the light comes on and i don't hear anything, and then it will just throw the breaker under the switch!
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-04-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Are you filling the tanks separately, or all at the same time?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-04-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
shawn - does that matter? i used to fill all 3 at the same time. now, i cant run the 2 rear sacs at the same time. only one will fill.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Shawn,

I fill the middle tank first and then the two rear's, but sometimes only one of the rears will fill and it will throw the reset on the other. and same situation when i go to empty
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-04-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
07 X1 - Starboard tank pump does it's flashing shut off thing before I can get it completely filled. Port has no problems. I am also loosing water in the starboard tank. Port seems to work fine.

Last week, I filled them up seperately and it seemed to make a little bit of a difference. I finally got the starboard to overflow for the first time but this weekend - same thing started happening.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-04-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
I just checked my manual and it says it's important that the engine must operate at 1500 rpm's during the fill and empty processes.

I opened my pumps up to look at the impellers and they were fine, also they are the black one's. So I dont know about the 07's but my 06 did not come with the yellow impellers. Should I just buy and install the yellow one's and be done with it? How much can they cost?

(Message edited by bwood on June 04, 2007)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-04-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
Woody, your dealer should be able to test the pumps to see if they're OK. The yellow impellers I believe list for around $35/piece, I got mine for less. Mike with Mastercraft of Charlotte or Eric with MC of Chicago should be able to get you them for cheap, if your dealer won't hook you up.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-04-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
I had similar problems with my 05 X-2. No more. I changed the impellers to the yellow ones. My method is to fill the rear tanks first and then the front. When full, I reverse for a second or two.

Similarly, when I empty, I empty the rear first, then the front. And when empty, I reverse for a second or two.

Running all the pumps at once tends to overload the system and pop the breakers. I also keep other accessories off when running the ballast pumps. Also turning on the pumps while perfect pass is on tends to cause a surge in the speed, which can be strange.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-05-2007, 2:55 AM Reply   
Bryan, I bought the boat used and the closest MC dealer is 2.5 hours away. It sounds like I need to get the yellow impellers.