Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    tribal            11-07-2006, 4:48 AM Reply   
Anyone ever done any wakeboarding around PV Mexico?I'm heading down to that area for a 2 week surf trip and hoping to get a pull somewhere in that time to.
Any info appreciated.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-07-2006, 4:53 AM Reply   
I was there last Christmas and didn't see any place to wakeboard... PV is a huge toilet with expensive drinks... get out of town and head to Sayulita or San Poncho to surf...Way better vibe and you won't get your stuff lifted if you set it down on the beach....
Old    tribal            11-07-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm staying in Sayulita.I've surfed all through Mex in the past just looking to mix it up with a little waking.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-07-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
sean- when are you heading down ? I will be down there thanksgiving week and plan to head down to Sayulita for a day to surf. I have been there a couple of times but we stay up in PV. My father in law has time share there so we are kind of stuck there. I usually rent a car and drive down to surf.

I have got a pull there in the past. There was a lady who had an X-star a few years back that was kind enough to give me a pull. Just a local who was riding with her kids. I don't know where she lived though. I was in a kayak and just paddled up to her between sets. There also use to be a guy down there that I haven't talked to in years that ran a parasailing company that I gave a few bucks to that pulled me behind on of the parasail boats.

I was thinking about bringing my kite down with me but I don't think the wife is going to let me cause we have too much crap to bring down for the baby.
Stan
Old    tribal            11-07-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
sbt3 I don't know when your thaksgiving is [I'm Canadian] but we're going down this weekend for 2 weeks.
How were the rollers in the bay when you went for your pull.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-08-2006, 4:50 AM Reply   
I'll be down there after new years on a cruise.
and as far as it being a toilet, i disagree. ive been there several times and love it.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-08-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
sean- I get there on the 19th and leave on the 26th of November. Sounds like you may be down that way when I am there. I am not sure what day I am going to go down to sayulita yet. It will probably be mid week. I usually just go pretty close to the main area where they rent the boards at a restaurant and bar. I will probably have my wife come down with me and who ever else wants to tag along from our group. There are about 15 of us all pretty much family going to PV. I am going to try to have my parents stay behind and watch my 11 month old cause I don't want to have to worry about her that day.

As far as water conditions it definitely wasn't butter here is a pic from my trip back in 01 behind the parasail boat. I don't have any pics from the x-star and this pic isn't that great but you can see the conditions. I more or less just wanted to do it for something to do besides sit at the hotel.

Upload

Ty- I agree it isn't a toilet. It probably wouldn't be my first choice but it beats out some others I have been to and it sure beats wisconsin.

Stan

(Message edited by sbt3 on November 08, 2006)
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-08-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Sean - Just got back from surfing down there and the surf was great, never once thought about wakeboarding... But one day heading back to the hotel on the local bus my buddy asked, "what kind of boat is that?" as I checked out the back end of a MC X-80 that was white. Never was able to track them down, but I did get a good lead after meeting a surfer north of PV who had a board at his surf shop. If you want e-mail me and I will find his business card and give you his info. He might know these guys or someone in the area.

Where are you going surfing at?
Old     (newoldskool)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-08-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I am going in dec.Can you rent surfboards down there?
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-08-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
You can, and it' only like $25day/$100 week. I have a business card at home I will post info from later. The guys I hooked up with took care of me for rides to different points and good background info on spots. I even have the owners cell...

Bill - Have you surfed in the ocean before???
Old     (newoldskool)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-08-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
No I have never ocean surfed,just wakeboard and wakesurf.I am ready to learn.We go down for 10 days every dec. and usually just play golf and drink beer at the beach.Are the waves okay for beginners?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-08-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Jamie- It would be appreciated if you can post that info for us.

Bill- yeah you should be fine trying to learn there. I am not very good in the ocean, I have done it a few times and it is fine for me.

Stan
Old    tribal            11-08-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
sbt3 ,Yeah I'll be there to the 26th.Can't really say where I'll be surfing on any given day,depends on the conditions.
Surfing a little Sayulita and hopefully Punta Mita and some other reefs if some juice picks up.
I'm down with my wife and 15 month old son so sayulita is a nice mellow spot to base out of.Certainly wouldn't be my first choice for surf,then you want to head south...
As far as a pull just looking for an option if the surf is flat and it's always fun in an exotic location.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-08-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
There are 2 places North of PV and Punta de Mita is one of them, great surf for both beginners and advanced. I was able to drop back into some barrels, and one of the locals had me learning/working some airs that were pretty sweet till I had one with too much lip throw me too far forward. The wave coming down on top of me and pounding me into the sand let me know why I don't want to do that.

Bill - There is a great spot south of this surf shop I will tell you guys about that is perfect for beginners, but also has two points for advanced riding due to some reef & rock.

Oscar's Surf Shop:
Cell- 01-322-120-8394
Home- 01-329-291-6554
**Take the local bus to Punta de Mita, get off at the last stop and head back south down the road. On the right you will see a little line of shops some guys, a dog and a inlet of water with about 10-15 little boats. You are there; just ask for Oscar (who really doesn’t look like a surfer).

The other shop (Oscar’s other shop) is called Anclote Beach Surf School:
Tel- 01-329-298-1468
Cell 01-322-134-3383
** This is actually down the road from his other shop, but this is where I meet the surfer with the wakeboard, and who took me to two other spots north for Punta de Mita that started with an “S” and we worked on airs.

Bob – E-mail me at jammin29jamie@aol.com And I will give you some really good background info on scheduling, rentals, lessons, what to bring, what to watch out for, what not to do, what to do, etc…

Sean – If you want or need more info feel free to e-mail or ask away.
Old     (newoldskool)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-08-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-08-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
Here are some e-mail addresses from my PC...
tzahui_poo@hotmail.com
mita_tours@hotmail.com
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-08-2006, 10:28 PM Reply   
Jamie,

I was in KC and stopped by the shop the other day, missed you, talked to Rick for about an hour or so. Looking at an '07 Supra or maybe picking up an '06 22V if you still have one left next spring. I'll try to catch you next time I'm back that way, shop looked great.

-HiJack off-
Old    tribal            11-09-2006, 4:51 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info there Jamie.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Just trying to help a fellow surfer/wakeboarder. Hope you have a good time, I'm working on taking another trip down soon.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Get out of town and head to Nuevo Vallarta (sp?) cause IMO its much nicer! Its a lot newer and is much more like a resort town. There is a really nice marina next to the hotel we stayed at and two or three times during our stay I saw an x-star head out into the ocean...but never saw anyone wakeboard cause its the ocean.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
I was told, later read in Alliance Mag about a small clear lake near PV that a Grubb, Byerly, Reed, and a few other wakesk8ters hit last year. When I asked around about it no one really knew anything. I was also there to surf and not wakeboard... my bad... I did hit Nuevo one day and it wasn't bad. I'm trying to find the other place that was further north abound the point that started with an "S". It rocked!!! There was one day I sat and watched to locals for about 3hrs because the surf was big, rough, and I didn't know much about the rocks I had already seen riding there.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Nick - Call me and we can set some time up to get you out in that 22SSV, knowing your love for both wake and ski, that's your boat!!!
Old    tribal            11-09-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Yeah wakeskatings my thing so iheard of and researched that lake.It's Santa Maria located between Tepic and Guadalajara.It's inside a volcanoe crater and very cool but I can't figure out a pull there so I doubt I'll drive the 5hrs.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Sorry I'm not much help on finding a pull, but when I went down it was all about surfing, good times and "Lolita my little love seniorita"
Old    tribal            11-27-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
Well I wish I had done more research on the waking because the surf sucked.
DO NOT GO TO THIS PART OF MEX IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR WAVES WITH SOME JUICE.
It's a longboard and beginner heaven but sucks for serious shortboarding.
Turns out I could have got a pull on Laguna Santa Maria but I didn't bring my skate
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-27-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
Sean - Where did you go to surf???
Old    tribal            11-28-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Staying in Sayulita which really sucked.
Surfed Venero's,Burro's and La Lancha.Got to a little overhead but still no juice.Would have liked to try El Farro but was told it needed more size to work.
I know for a fact that other spots I've surfed in Mex before were going off during this same period.
Old    tribal            11-28-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Staying in Sayulita which really sucked.
Surfed Venero's,Burro's and La Lancha.Got to a little overhead but still no juice.Would have liked to try El Farro but was told it needed more size to work.
I know for a fact that other spots I've surfed in Mex before were going off during this same period.