Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-22-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
ok so on my newly found journey of installing some HLCD's in my stock cans I come to find out that there is a 1"x 1/2" hole cutout of one of my cans, and a 1/2" hole with a plastic plug in the other. Also 1 of the holes the stock screws go into is busted out, and 1 screw is stuck inside the other can where the head must of snapped off.

My question is will these holes have any effect on the sound #1 and #2 will moisture get inside this way and start to rust and destroy the speaker?

Ill get some pics uploaded here in a sec.
Please keep in mind I am the first owner of this boat, its brand new. Should I contact my dealer to have them get me some new cans, or will everything be ok?
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-22-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
here are the cans. as you can see in the 1st and 4th pic, it appears a dremel or something was used to make the holes. Then it looks like on the one can they just drilled a 1/2 through the chrome ring and put a plug in it, however you can still see light where the chrome ring and can meet. My guess is they ran LED's or something through here? and the last pic shows the bolt thats head is broke off inside the can.

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

(Message edited by smitty1258 on January 22, 2010)
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-22-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Smitty, While I do not condone working on a boat without opening your beer (cap is still on it in the top pics...LOL), I think I know what is going on with your cans.

While I am not sure about your specific questions, I do think I know where the holes came (since I have Skylon speakers as well).

Go to the bottom of this webpage and you will see the lights that go to those cans and that is what it looks like the hole in your 3rd picture may have been for:

http://www.skylonsports.com/products/lightsmirrors.php

Hope that helps in some way....maybe you should just put your speakers in and order a new set of lights to plug those holes????
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-22-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Ya the beer was to go with the install, which is on hold until I figure out what exactly im going to do now.....

im really not interested in putting lights on my cans. Im not even sure that would have been the purpose being that only 1 can has that hole on the outside.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
diywake sells some nice cans cheap
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-22-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
I think you should be able to plug/patch the hole. The chrome ring is the structure that holds the speaker, the white basket is just the enclosure. you might want to get a little creative with JB weld or something like that to patch your problem areas but I would think you could use those cans to house some of the drop in HLCD now available on the market.

Just re-read your post. If these are brand new I would request a replacement set from your dealer. If they were an ebay purchase, I would probably take the time to make the repairs.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-22-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
They are brand new. Its a 2009 boat, Im the first and only owner.