Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-30-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
I got my x30 this year. I've just recently started landing some tricks and getting some really nice air. My buddy has a 2007 malibu wakesetter and the wake is twice as big and much steeper. I have always just filled the ballast tanks up and gone with it. Is there a way to make the way steep and crisp without adding any bags. Does anyone sett the trim tab or only fill the ballast up half way or anything like that to get a better wake? If i need bags what weight or how many gallons should i get?
Old     (thomas_arballo)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-30-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Weight the front
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-30-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
so if it's only me and one other person I'm going to need some bags to go in front?
Old     (beau4889)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-30-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Weight up front will make the wake solid. good for getting good pop. But just in general Malibu wakestters have a lot steeper wakes then mastercrafts from what I have rode and experienced. Mastercraft seems to go with the more rampy style wake while malibu and nautique seem to go with the vert wakes. Just add more weight all together. How much is your stock ballast? I ride behind an x-star with 1500 to 2000 pounds in it. Plenty for anyone. But more can never hurt. Just when you put more weight in you usually need to adjust your speed. and sometimes your rope length.
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-30-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
just going off memory here but the boat weighs bout 4000 and the ballast 900 so if i'm gonna have to get some sacs for weight I should get a couple one for the front and another for the back right? I need about 1000lbs more for the best wake?
Old     (k2rider2690)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-30-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
my friend has a 2006 x30 that i ride behind every weekend and we just completely fill the ballest and the wake is perfect...not to steep but steep enough...idk how big of a wake you are looking for but the pro where i ride when i ride with him we fill over 4000lbs of ballest plus the weight of the boat which is an xstar haha biggest wake ever but yet still not super steep
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-30-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
I'd put 600-750's in each of the rear lockers and run the trim tab down about 30%, my buddies run their X-45 that way and fricking rave about it.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-30-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/portal.php

^ Josh, try asking other MC owners. I'm sure there are many who have weighted an X-30 like yours.

For a major improvement, fill 2 400# v-drive sacs in the rear lockers and put a 750# sac in the walkway. Couple that with your stock ballast and you should be in great shape.

BTW, what prop and engine do you have?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-30-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
josh- my 2 favorite wakes are mastercraft (xstar) and malibu (vlx) I ride behind an 07 vlx often that has approx #3500's in it, equally distributed from bow to stern. In my opinion, the vlx and xstar wakes are similar in width and how rampy they are. I do not know about the x-30, but I strongly disagree with the previous posts that "malibu and nautique seem to go with vert wakes."

The 07 vlx i ride behind does NOT use the wedge. Wedged malibu's will give you a little bit more of a lip on the top of the wake, so this may be why you noticed more of a vert on that bu than your mastercraft. Even when I have ridden a vlx with bags full and wedge all the way down, I would still hesitate to call it a vert wake. go ride a nauty or epic to see a vert wake.

to answer your question directly. If I wanted more of a vertical wake I would add weight to the back. when you add weight to the front it will mellow out your wake, make it more rampy, and it will tend to make the wake feel harder. If you add weight to the back you will steepen the wake, make it a little bit softer, and make it a bit harder to clean it up (the last two issues can be fixed with increasing speed).

i would add a #500 sack to the rear and see how that affects the wake. then adjust from there.
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
thanks fellas, looks like I got some ideas to try. I also put a tread out on that mastercraft team talk thanks dave. oh my engine is an mcx 350hp not sure bout the prop.
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
hey i found a fly high fat sac couch that is 1525lbs it can go in the back of my boat x30 2006 what will that do to my wake? any ideas
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
any ideas
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
you dont want that...you want something like these http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/FL_EsUTZ for the lockers and one of these in the walkway or across the bow http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/FL_Fp3pA

just an idea..any brand of sacs will work but this is what we use in our x-15
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
will this make much difference to the wake? that's what 1550lbs? do i need the weight in the bow? I'm looking for the best steep wake i can get behind my x30. so walkway/bow weight or no?
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
I know i'm asking a lot of questions. just don't want to waste money. is 400 on each side of the engine enough. is 750 in the walkway to much with just the two 400's in the back.any ideas
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
i honestly dont know cuz i've never weighted an x-30 or ridden one. i'm only giving you a place to start.

if you put just those 3 bags in you're putting 800 in the back and 750 in the front. thats pretty close to even. if you did this your wake will get much harder as well as bigger in size. the shape you'll have to tweak by moving weight around from front to back. you can do this by emptying and filling the factory tanks. more in the back and the wake will get steeper. more in the front and it'll get rampier(if thats a word)
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-31-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
We ride behind an 06 X-30. We fill up two 400 pound sacks in each back locker, then fill up a 300 sack up front. Usually, there are only two people in the boat, and they balance out the center of the boat. We run a little back heavy, but the wake is good with the trim at half or 3/4 up at 75 feet at 23 mph. Ill try to post pics later tonight when im back at my computer.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-31-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Josh, ran my X-star with stock ballast plus (2) 400's in the rear and the 750# in the walkway. This would be a good starting point for your boat. I only run it this way for the more advanced riders in our group.

(Message edited by njskier on July 31, 2009)
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-31-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
on my x30 we run stock ballast 70' at 23 with trim at 1/2 and at 75' at 24 with trim at 3/4. I would say to add more ballast, it would have to be 2 sacs in the back and one in the middle . I have added 2 sacs to the middle and the wake gets washed out. good luck! let me know what works for you.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-01-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
here are pics from our x-30 set up...they are old, but I'm pretty sure we still run the same weight. There are two people in the boat with these pics. im riding at 75 feet, trim 3/4 up, and 23 mph

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-01-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
wake looks nice to me.
Old     (gator_gator)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-01-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
aight sweet, Looks like i'm gonna try two #400's in the back lockers and a 750 in the walkway. Thanks for the help fellas
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-01-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
Check out the guys at Chicago MasterCraft. They weight the s**t out of everything and do a good job at it. I have the XStar and the 300lbs on either side of the engine and its not enough. If your looking to get more lip on the wake for Master Crafts than your going to want more in the rear. I would get the two 750 put them on each side of the engine and you’ll be golden. If its to much than just take out a 100 lbs or so. Then start adding a little to the front if you need it. It’s a big boat with a lot of hull so you’re going to need a good amount to sink that bit*h. I use to own an older X30, not the same hull, but that needed more in the back as well.
I have the acme prop 1285 I think it’s a 14 X 14.25. You’re going to need that prop for the MCX with that kind of weight.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-01-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
^^^^^ most definitely that prop i have that prop and its the only way......