Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-24-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
Eubanks

4920lb in mine.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Anytime Walt. You know that.

Eubanks, It's really not that much. I think a lot of it is where it's placed and also the fact that a lot of it is lead. Just like BCH I think that a lot of people get a 700 sac and assume it holds 700lbs. When you have 700 lbs of lead there is no way to contest that.

We have 600lbs of Pop bags, 300lbs of lead bars, Factory ballast somewhere around 1k (probably less, really), a 500 fly-high in each rear compartment and a 500 in the front walk through.

The first pic had 10-ish peeps on top of the ballast that we run. We usually have 3-4 on top of ballast when we're riding. If we're light we'll add another 500 sac on the floor in the center of the boat.

Also, for some reason X-stars run really A$$ heavy. It takes a lot of motor to push around the ballast that we run. I ran almost as much in my X2 and had no trouble getting it on plane or keeping it there and that was with the 350 MCX instead of the LY6 or L18. For reference we run a 500 on each side over the motor. In addition to that there is 130 lbs of lead bars as far back as they'll go behind the 500 sacs and 4 pop bags (an additional 160lbs) under the 500 sacs. So in all there is 790lbs in each rear locker. All the front of the boat gets is a 500 sac and 6 pop bags (so approx 740lbs). Sinking the back of those boats is what makes the wake big, meaty and full. Too much up front and it has no kick.

My old X2 was basically completely even. Add more weight up front and add more weight in back.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
So I guess to answer the question.... 3400lb-ish. All sacs as full as they'll go without popping
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-24-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Cool. You guys are obviously bragged on a lot about your wakes but I had never heard how much you all actually run! Thanks for sharing.

In my Malibu LSV, I run stock (1,250) plus 750's in the trunks (although they never fill up all the way), 400 in the walkway, and then another 400 up front. So 3,400 or so. Add some folks in the back and the wake is really nice!
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-24-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Eubanks- Hell ya!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Sounds great... Like I said earlier: I'll ride with anyone posting on this thread anytime. Ha, ha, ha. Once you start talking 2.5k+ in ballast it gets my ears all perked up.

How we weight our boat has never been a big secret. I'm pretty sure we've posted a few times. It took us a while to figure out how we liked to weight the X-star. We started out with wayyy to much weight up front. For that boat it's not the same as other boats. Too much up front and the wake just gets wider and suckier (is that a word????).

I'm pretty sure the reason our boat has a reputation for a big wake is the lead. Some people will claim that lead makes a harder wake. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if it's lead or water. Like I said, though, too many people believe that a 500 sac holds 500lbs. We talked for ever about running a boat through a truck scale fully loaded with sacs to see how close they actually are to what they claim. That and the fact that when we add lead to the rear compartments it's very centralized. We an push it all the way back to within about a foot of the transom. Something that you can never do with water.

(Message edited by guido on July 24, 2009)
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-24-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Slammed! Our method is fill it till it doesnt get on plane then add some people to the bow and if it still doesnt get up drain a lil at a time till it gets up!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-24-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Can't imagine the BC, or any other slammed boat, gas bill...5-6 gallons per 1/2 hour pull?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
thats about right ewing...
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-25-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
1500 in the bow today. and 3 people in the back. it was pretty funny.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-25-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
We were running about 8-10 gal/hr with her slammed before we re-propped, not sure now, only have 1 day on the 1235....Should go down, that thing jumps out of the hole now!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Here's another shot of our wake from Friday. This is how my pictures look when someone else tries to use my camera. Nice landing huh? lol...

Upload
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-27-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
man if this thread has taught me anything,it is that i need to ride with more weight. for all of you that like to talk smack about stock being fine or whatever. here it is, when you get to a certain point you want to really innovate w/the sport. you kinda need to ride w/extra ballast to throw down say a nine or a heel 7. unfortunatley i dont live near too many people who have this interest in common. only if i could ride w/nintzel, his set up sounds unreal to me, not to mention, the x-1 is the sickest overall wakeboat ever. best in shallower depths 4sure and good for deeper depths as well, last but not least check out the shape yo. Andy throw us some picks of the loaded down wake please????

(Message edited by tom13knotek on July 27, 2009)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-27-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Tom I will Toss Up some Wake photo's when I get home tonight, its a beast in deep water its about mid-thigh in height on me and I am 6'3".
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-27-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
I run close to what Eubanks runs in our LSV.

Stock (1250)
400 in walkway
400 in back lockers (need to upgrade to 750's)
400 in sand in midship

Here's a couple big questions for LSV or VLX owners.

Wedge or no (manual wedge for me) for the extra lip or just more weight in the back? I think I like the wedge lip it adds but honestly don't know if it makes much difference with that much extra ballast.

Running this set up with 2 peeps in the bow I have a VERY difficult time not dipping the bow. I consider myself to be a very good boat driver with lots of experience but I'm having issues and can't figure it out. Is this a common problem with these boats or do I just need to be more careful? Maybe just more weight in the back to kick the nose up higher?

Sorry for getting off topic but wanted to know if this is a common problem in all slammed boats or malibus in general?

Thanks guys!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Adam - Yeah, I would say a bit more weight in the back will help out your nose diving issues, plus it might give you a bit more lip that way.

I don't use the wedge with all the weight filled up but that is personally preference. It just kills too much gas and I don't feel like it is that necessary when you have a bunch of extra ballast on board.

Try it both ways and decide for yourself!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
I agree with Eubanks. I bet what is happening is your wedge may be adding that extra bit of lip your looking for on plane but once you come off plane that force is gone from the wedge making the bow a lot heavier (effectively). If you used weight instead when you came off plane it wouldnt change the attitude of the boat as drastically since the weight is still pressing down on the transom.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I didn't read every comments, but, for me, before loading the boat with fat sac, it's better to try how place the weight to produce your kind of wake!
We tried yesterday with 3300lbs and the wake was too much rampy than our 2300lbs set up! to keep that steep wake, we should place like 1000 more pounds in the back and the engine won't follow I think!!!
I love to read all that arguments about the wake of whatever boat! I ride behind a Session Si (s a boat that a lot of people don't know and other .... on) and the wake is just crazy because we tried some different weight set up! I regulary ride behind a 210 with a lot of lbs and the wake is not poppy as our Session! So just try different set up and you'll find yours!!!
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-27-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Thanks J. My biggest problem is I desperately need to upgrade the 1235 prop. I have a hell of a time getting on plane, sometime it won't even make it without dumping a lot of the weight. By next spring I will have upgraded the prop and 750's in the rear compartments. I'm hoping the extra 500-600 lbs I can get in the back will get rid of my nose dipping issue. Maybe I'll try adding a hundred of lead in the very rear of each compartment like the CIE boys and see how that works out. Thanks boys! I love seeing how people slam out their boats.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-27-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
It would be great if you guys could list what prop you're running as well.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-27-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
So what's all that weight without the right water? Time to load up!
Upload
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-27-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
2006 tige 22v

inter. bow sac fills maybe to 450
550 in rear lockers
750 in walkway
125 hard tanks under each dash
350 infront of the rear seats

2900 to 3200 lbs
Old     (maryxie3)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-15-2009, 1:58 AM Reply   
Sell full range of LED lights

E-mail: mary@illusion-led.com

Upload
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
ooooooo.....K?? ^^^^ WTF?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-15-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
Brett I run an Acme 1235

What the hell is up with that LED post?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-15-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Mary Xie I believe you are lookig for rollitup.org
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
thats a good ol' fashion skeezy ad