Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       10-17-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
Reading another post, I am now pretty confused on my approach to the wake. I know the terms...progressive edge, standing tall etc. I think I understand the concept.

Approaching heelside, weight back on the heels all the way up the wake, then someone suggested actually "locking your knees".

Thinking about this I get the picture of being "thrown", but not necessarily on an even plane...if that makes sense. I think my tendancy is to flatten out a bit so the board comes off the wake under me in control.

If done correctly, should you "pop" up with the board completely underneath you...or does it have a tendancy to swing under you a bit throwing you off axis a little?

My god I am confusing myself, but just trying to get a mental picture here.

Here is one of me a couple of weekes ago...

Heelside
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-17-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
you're thinking too much about it. Your form in the picture looks good.
Old    veganx            10-17-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quit looking down. Other than that, I agree with Jarrod.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
i agreed with jrod and bird. your form looks good (minus the looking down - remember the adage, the body follows the head).

i being of the overly-intellectual mindset never believe you can over-think hehe. so that said, here's how i understand it - two things control where your body goes when it leaves the wake:

1) upper-body position (includes handle)
2) weight distribution between your feet

if your weight is distributed evenly, you end up even in the air. probably the factor you aren't considering is the boat. the rope is pulling you forward, even as you cut in, which is a balancing factor when you release into the air off the wake.

i wouldn't recommend locking your knees (especially as you only hold the position momentarily), but that gives you the idea of what you want to do at the top of the wake. keeping your body in a strong position allows the combined force of the pull of the boat and the wake to propel you up.

hope this helps. i love breaking down the physics and technique of the sport. i find it fascinating and a helpful adjunct to my riding. you definitely look ike you've got your form working well. keep it up!

Old    absolutofft            10-18-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
Dave just looking at your wake, I have to say it looks pretty pathetic for a sunsetter, It looks like how my boat would look if I put all my weight in the nose and none in the back.

If you create a more vertical wake with a nice lip it throw you straight up of the wake more. I acheieve this shape of wake using a fat seat at the back and a fatsac on either side of the motor box (not totally filled) for a weight of about 2100lbs.

(Message edited by absolutofft on October 18, 2003)
Old    upupnaway            10-19-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
When you are properly standing tall, you will swing slightly off-axis. your board is on a progressive edge, your hips and shoulders should be at a 90 degree angle from the board directly above your feet. a good example(although greatly exaggerated) is on Higher Education when you see Shapiro doing a raley from the side.
If you were to have a broomstick strapped to your back, it should go from the back of your head, down your spine, between the cheeks and hit the middle of your board.
Old    upupnaway            10-19-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   

edge
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-19-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
aaron,

You can't really tell what the wake is like in that pic because the spray pattern from his board could be causing it to look flat when it really isn't.