Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
So I am pretty set on picking up a new rebel xt as my first digi slr. Ultimately I plan on getting fast glass and eventually upgrading camera's when I get used to shooting (and decide its something I would like to poor more $ into). From all my research I have found that this camera is a great first shooter dslr.

My main question is: Has anyone purchased the warranty and what was your experience with it, was it worth it?

I want to have the ability to lug the camera anywhere and really enjoy using it without a little voice in the back of my head saying: "be careful or your out all that money, dont take it there it may get dropped blah blah blah" to find out I never really even use the thing.

This is a pretty large purchase for me and something I really want, but also want to be able to actually use the crap out of it. I live in the bay area, are there any places with really good warranty programs versus an online vendor such as B&H? How much should I expect to pay for the warranty?

Thanks guys.

Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Costco is the best way to go IMHO. I bought a Rebel @ Costco and it had a battery problem so I took it back and upgraded to the XT with no questions asked.
Old     (mcinvale)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-08-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
+1 Costco
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-08-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
Warranty for what? It comes with a Canon 1 year warranty and you'll have to send it down to Irvine for repairs under that. If you buy from B&H and go beyond the 14 day return period that's what you'll have to do. Costco and some local vendors are more liberal as Walt pointed out at the cost of paying sales tax. I think the warranty B&H sells covers you for damages you inflict as well but I've heard those are hard to actually get anything done on.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich, I had a suspicion that excersizing a warranty bought online would be a headache.

Looks like costco may be the place. My biggest fear is either water damage or accidentaly dropping it. Of course I plan on protecting it as much as possible, but dropping that kind of coin and having a warranty will let me sleep a little better at night and be less hesitant to let someone use it to take pictures of myself.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-08-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Check on getting a writer policy on your insurance. That's what I'm getting ready to do for my video and digital cameras. I have a $12,000 writer policy for my tools that doesn't cost alot.

(Message edited by shutupandboard on June 08, 2006)