Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    jonnyrotten79            07-17-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Should i get the Malibu LSV or and X-Star?

**(price doesnt matter)**
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-17-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
LSV BABY i just don't trust master rafts electrical systems to many friends with them falling apart
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-17-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
Tough choice man, go with the best dealer. Ask people in your area that own them and ask how the service dept. is. Also take a look at the service shop. That will tell you alot. Both boats are great but dealing with a crappy dealer will make your purchase miserable not matter which you get.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-17-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
Well, I don't think you can go wrong with either of those you have narrowed it down to, but I'd go for the X-Star.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-17-2004, 10:30 PM Reply   
Never ridden behind an LSV but we honestly could not be happier with our 04 X-Star, the only thing that I would suggest is if you go with the mcx make sure you have them change out the prop right away. If you go with the LQ9, or the L18 the prop should not be an issue.
Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-17-2004, 11:12 PM Reply   
Both great boats but of course I am biased so I would go with the LSV. Great interior and great wake. Can't go wrong with either. Chceck which boat dealer has better reputation. That is as important as anything.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-18-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Id got LSV, but Iam biased also, the xstar is just soo small inside in people space, the lsv just whomps it, thats y we went for it. But the dealer was the same for us they sold both mc and bu, so it was a choice between the boat. For you there might be a dealer choice. If the bu dealer is bad then go mc, or vis vursa. you can not go wrong in either boat
Old    absolutofft            07-18-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
hyperlitenerd surely you must be thinking of the X2 because the new X-STAR is HUGE inside, not to mention an insanely large wake.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
By actual measurements I took at the boat show this year, even a 21'8" Supra SSV has more cockpit space than an X-Star.

The X-Star is a great boat with striking styling. But the interior is surprisingly small for a 23' boat. Malibu seems to be the most efficient at building interior space into its boats.
Old    foobysmacker            07-18-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
> Should i get the Malibu LSV or and X-Star?

OK... am I the only one that finds this to be a question that has no good answer? To me it's like someone asking "should I eat asparagus or broccoli?".

If it's meant as a question to spur discussion in the community, I guess that's cool-- but I would expect something that sounds that way and is a bit more specific.

But if I'm going to plunk down more than 40K for a boat, I'm sure as hell going to research the differences, see what folks are saying about the two, and most of all DRIVE THEM. Buy the one YOU want.

While I certainly would never buy a boat without doing some research and talking to fellow WW members, I would at least expect a bit more focused research.

They're both great boats, no doubt about it. Good luck if you are actually buying one-- I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

*edit* So I didn't mean this to be inflammatory or anything-- but my point is still the same. The question wasn't stupid, but there's no good answer to it.

(Message edited by foobysmacker on July 18, 2004)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-18-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
no aaron the xstar has like no people room in the inside compared to the 04 lsv.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
We usually ride with anywhere from 3 to 11 people in our X-Star and space does not seem to be an issue at all.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2004, 2:06 AM Reply   
"Should i get the Malibu LSV or and X-Star?"

Well if you can afford it then get both!
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2004, 3:07 AM Reply   
Ugh gross after being in my X-star all day with 8 people I seriously laugh at you Hyper. What a stupid comment, the LSV "whomps" what? Get a clue and respond. As for the thread as people have mentioned try each out and take the one you like the most, each has it's high points.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-19-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
I've been in an X-Star with 12 people and I was very comfortable! Of course I was sprawled out in the bow with 2 other people but still I'm 6 feet tall. Plenty of space in both boats.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-19-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
we can fit 12 people in the back confortably, 12 people my size 6'1 170 lbs, and we couldnt do that in the x-star, Im not knocking the x-star all together, it is a kick a$$ boat, but im just saying Malibu did a better job with copit layout.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-20-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
I think it boils down to personal choice of the two boats styling. They are both very different looking. Go with the one thats more appealing to your eye.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-20-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
One of the nice things about the X-Star seating is how it encourages folks to spread out. Helps even out the weight distribution.

One thing no other boat can touch though is the handling of the X-Star. No other wakeboard boat I know can turn around in as small of an area. The X-Star is larger than the X-2 but can still turn inside the boat.

How is the wedge in tight turns? Does the wedge make any impact on driving?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
LSV.

Anyone else sick of listening to whit rave about his x-star?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-20-2004, 10:00 PM Reply   
The LSV turns the same wedge up and down
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Anyone else tired of people bad mouthing the X-Star all the time?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
I wish I had an X-Star, or an LSV, or a SANTE, or a........................................

Damn glad I get to ride in a boat with a good wake. (PERIOD)
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
What is wierd about this thread--all the older folks, that have actually bought a boat, seem to prefer the X-Star. While the younger, not so college bound, non-boat owners seem to prefer the LSV. Tough to post and satisfy both target audiences...

There seems to be lots of negative energy directed toward the X-Star from folks that have possibly only been on one at a boat show. Which really is too bad--Right now there is no other boat that rivals the X-Star.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-22-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
this is tru the new xstar is baller. but it is made by disastercraft which have been notorious with electrical problems. I understand boats break but their are certain unavoidable circumstances that should not be occuring. Maybe the problem has been corrected but mastercraft in my mind will always be behind in quality in my eyes. anyone want to buy a prostar 205.....just got a SAN....looked at all options and mastercraft would be close to the last thing I would choose. it does beat out a gekko though and that gay looking doublejet boat pos in another post.
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
Xstar ....hands down.No problems from day one.Anyone who has been in the boat make comments like"wow nice boat..so much room".How many times are you going to have more than 12 peeps in it.I got the front cushion. The best for parking peeps up front(like kids).If you have any question on the boat send me an email.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Owner of my 4th MC in 8-9 Years, No problems. I would think if "disacraft is notorious for electrical problems", that I would have experienced or at least heard of it from my other friends, but I haven't. Everyone will different, choose the boat that makes the most sense to you. If you go with a Malibu and a MC or CC owner talks trash, move on. Odds are they aren't old enough to make that purchase decision and if they are who cares? Hopefully we all purchase boats to enjoy, not one to try and impress others that we pass on the water.

(Message edited by prostar205v on July 22, 2004)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-22-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
LSV!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-22-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
Who has the thicker vinyl? Malibu uses 32oz, what does MC use? This is an honest question. I am not trying to start any sh#t.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-22-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Malibu uses 38 oz. G&T Marine Vinyl not 32 oz on the new boats.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-22-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Fine. What about MC. I could not find any info on their website.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-23-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
rode in and behind an '04 X star yesterday. I was not impressed. With a sack on each side of the bow under the seats, a sack in each locker, the stock ballast full, and 6 people in the boat, the wake was not impressive, and the boat still took forever to plane. When turning around on 3 or 4 occasions with a very experienced driver at the helm we took water over the bow. Interior was cushy, but the snapout carpet was not pleasing to my eye. With all the white around the floor of the boat I felt blinded when I was just riding in it. I was impressed with the storage.

Pro's - Cushy interior, Storage

I'm not gonna list the cons. I will just say that although interior and storage are important, they're not near the top of my priority list when I would consider buying a boat.

the verdict is in:

LSV
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
Whose X-Star?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
Thane is a MC basher.. that boat revolutionized the sport of wakeboarding. Ask Mastercraft.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-23-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
2005 LSV Much better deal for the money.
Old    rtm            07-23-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
Price wise I might agree . . . Malibu's in Canada are a way better bang for the buck in the new department especially when you add the unavoidable 14.5% sales tax . . .OUCHHHH!

I recently referred my friends to the malibu dealer who I bought a used x-star from 3 yrs ago . . . he's a great guy and will treat them well. (RON PHOB - MALIBU AMRINE)

These electrical problems??? never heard of any either and am the happy owner of a 2000 X-star with now over 700hrs and no problems other than a vinyl replacement of the rear sundeck and some welding on the old discontinued zero flex of the 99 and 2000 yrs. I'm proud to say she still runs as she did at purchase. The malibu guys I deal with all coment on the qulity of the matercraft construction . . . they recognize that all these boats are great and that they will just appeal to poeple for different reasons.

It's all about preference at these levels . . . I will give malibu props for there interiors hands down. But, there are pros and cons to both boats. Once again, I agree at least here in the Okanagan Valley in BC, the price spread doesn't always justify the better known brand . . . but recognize is Kleenex (sp/?) really better than tissue paper . . . I don't know . . . you decide.

In addition as someone stated above - to date, the new X-star is the only truly Wake Specific boat on the market . . . so it makes it difficult to compare it to the others . . . I also regret to share that I have yet to have had the pleasure of riding behind one . . . and for me that is the deciding factor - - do i like it a 75 feet off - - and that's it.

I will add out of curiousity that the new X-star had some issues at the pro tour in Kelowna and rumours were that this was not the first time. Does anyone know what the mechanical problems were??? You may want to consider that before you spend that kind of dough on any boat . . .

Good luck and congratz!!!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-23-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
Honestly, I was not bashing. I just finally got the opportunity to ride behind one and wanted to tell people what I thought.