Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
Im goin to look at an 2003 20' Moomba Mobius LS today. the only thing it doesnt have is the wake plate. It has ballast system, wake tower. Im new to boats like this ive been wantin one so bad, i keep telling myself i gotta save money but im selling my streetbike today and if i like this boat im going to leave a deposit. is 20,000 to much to pay for this boat with 450 hours on it. it looks clean from the pics. only thing that blows is i cant really test it out and take it for a ride since the lake is frozen. and will having no wake plate make a big difference. im just starting to wakeboard alot. i started behind my beat ass 89 larson so i think anything would be better.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-22-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
I don't know about the price being good, but if I was thinking about spending 20K on a boat I would make sure it was mechanically sound. Is the boat winterized? Can you hook up a fake-a-lake and start it? Will the seller let you take it to a mechanic and have it checked? Good Luck!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
If I was on your budget, I'd try to find a 1999 mastercraft 205v or a 2000 mastercraft xstar. Maybe even a pre 2002 super sport nautique.
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-22-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I'd give the 01 wakesetters a look as well.Great boat great wake.I wouldnt pay that much for an older moomba personally.I think there are alot better options for that price range.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-22-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
20K is a fair price. 18k would be a good price. I wouldn't worry about hours, provided the boat looks well taken care of and is mechanically sound. If you do decide to buy it, make sure a reputible service shop checks it out first, preferrably and indmar certified shop. Work that into the price of the boat.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       01-22-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
You can probably find a great V-drive in that price range with a little shopping as others have mentioned above.
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
thanks for the posts guys. I saw the boat today and i have to say for an 03 this guy kept it clean as hell its winterized he offerd to start it for me but its freezing. He lives 10 min from me and was mad cool he offered to be with me for a the day i launch it and gaurantees there are no mechanical problems. im pretty pumped.
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
this is killing me now i just want to board and i havent gone behind a boat like this.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
My advice is to be patient. Do not jump on the first nice boat you see just because the boat bug has bit you. $20k is a lot of money and you need to know what all is your options are before you commit to anything. Just slow down. It's not lime you're in the middle of summer. Not saying it's not a good deal, but most bad decisions are made because people rush into things.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-22-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
I agree with everyone here. I have a new mobius ls and like it alot but that mobius is much different and honestly think a fair price would be 17k. Newty also has a mobius and may know more about that year
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2011, 7:28 PM Reply   
yea i know what you guys are sayin. I might have rushed into it a little but i shopped around the area and damn these boats are expensive its cool becuase the guy its from is from my area i was just happy its clean. I was going to offer 17 but the boat was def well maintained. but now i know for next time look around more..
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-22-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
but besides payin a lil much how are these boats otherwise?
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-22-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
The boat is built by skiers choice. They are great boats. Sold no wood so if it's well
Maintained you should have many trouble free years
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
Congrats man! Hope it works out well for ya!
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-23-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
yea it was definetly well maintained. I just want this snow to melt now.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-23-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
I am one of the most impatient people in the world. When I want something, I don't wait, I just go get it. But as others have said this is a big purchase. As long as there is snow on the ground and the lake is frozen, why not expand your search and see what other options are out there? But hey, I understand the feeling of wanting something now.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-23-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
I had the same boat for 2 summers. Great boat... in about 6 months, you'll have wished you held out for a v-drive. Other than that, good boat. They have a tendendency to want to dip the nose when hitting rollers so be careful when driving it in big water.. Other than that - you should be good. You won't miss the wake plate since you've never had it.. I would run about 1,000 lbs in the back and about 750 in the nose and it made a nice wake. Sometimes we'd throw 400s on each side of the motor but there was no room then, probably wasn't worth the effort.

Enjoy it. Great starter wakeboat.
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-23-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
yea im def impatient i wish i could have financed something newer but i just got a house and its my first house and there was no way i was getting another bank loan. so i was able to use my cash and get a little help and make small payments. thanks for the tips on the bags jeff im sure ill be posting alot this summer im new to these boats and wakeboarding and i have to say im hooked.