Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-10-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
I found one with a tower. Anyone know any common problems with this boat.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-10-2009, 5:46 AM Reply   
Floor and stringer rot is the worst thing you typically find, IMHO.

How many hours? I love the old 2001s!
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-10-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
Its loaded with hours like 1800 something. but it sure doesnt look like it have that many hours. I going to see it today. I will take pictures.

I have a friend going to check it out for me. He is pretty skilled with boat engines and boats in general, so i see what he says and kind of go from there. I looking for somewhat of a project boat but not replacing the stingers.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-10-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
depends how it is maintained. You can probably expect a tranny rebuild.I had mine rebuilt at 900 hours, cost me 500 bucks so not terrible if you are getting a great deal. My boat is on its 2nd carb rebuild at 900 hours. Some motors only go to 2000 hours, some 3000, depends how it is maintained. Actually 500 bucks was for the transmission, carb and throttle cable fix. So really not bad, I just shopped around. The nautique dealer cost the most but I found a small shop that had done older Nautiques before and had family that used him with great success. Post some pics and join the2001.com There is a ton of knowledge on these boats between a few of us on this site and way more on the2001.com
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-10-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Here are some pics of it
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-10-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-10-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
New Image3.JPG
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-10-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-10-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
You may want to consider going to an electronic ignition if it has the old points style distributor. The points can get fouled at times and can cause problems. The above posters covered the rest, stringers, tranny, etc. The early 2001's are my favorites. I like the air vents on the bow and the windshield. Classic lines.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-10-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
The stringer rot is the big one. Super labor intensive to replace and expensive like whoh if you have it done. Other than that, it isnt anything bigger than any other bpoat with basic maintenence worries and whatnot. The trannys and engines are great and easy to work on and reliable. I had one for 6 years and did the electronic ignition right away (worth every penny only about 200 installed) and a carb rebuild. Over the 6 years, I just replaced the exhaust manifolds and that was it. Cheapest boat I owned, and I sold it for about 1500 less than I paid for it. I got my 1500 worth in the form of about 350 hours on it. If you keep it up, you probably wont loose much value if any.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-10-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Check the floor against the hull right at the base of the observer seat. That is where my floor cracked and let water into the floor. I had an 86 and it was a good boat. Perfect starter boat or for a small crew.

Doesn't need much weight and good fuel economy
Old    Slingshot            04-10-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Check the floors and stringers and transom for dry rot. Pull the spark plugs out and see if they are black and kinda wet after running it. They should be dry and kinda white. I would upgrade to the electronic ignition. Your tune up will last longer. The tranny is usually ready to be rebuilt at about 1000 hours...not saying its going to explode on you, but thats usually about the lifespan of those transmissions. Get a Acme 542 prop on it if you are going to weight it down. 2001's are sick!
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Check the engine mount lag bolts to see if they are tight or spin in the wood freely. That is a bad sign if they spin.