Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    boardofreality            06-20-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
Impatient to get on a board, I purchased a package deal last summer (01 Hyperlite 143 Vero with Split bindings). Fine for da boyz, but way to big for my 5'5, 125 frame. I can ride it, but looking for a better fit...any suggestions are welcome!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2003, 3:50 PM Reply   
Ironing board?

flame away ladies
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-20-2003, 3:56 PM Reply   
premeir 135 would probally suit ya really stable
Old    lukeh2owalker            06-20-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
chris thats funny your going to take heat for that one buddy. this is keats first post and you bust on her thats so sweet. try a pretty board. the prettier the better you'll ride.?
Old    boardofreality            06-20-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
hmmm...a pretty ironing board...do you know where i can get one with pink flowers and ruffles on it? and for the bindings...do you suggest a cute pair of high-heel sandals...you guys are a world of knowledge:-)
Old    beth            06-20-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
OK guys, the girl wants some help here. Did none of you read the "Respect for the women" article? Keats, I am built pretty similar to you. I ride a 136 TFD. I would say for your size not to go bigger than 136. You can go all the way down to 131. The rest depends on what you like. Where are you in the learning process? How aggressive are you? The Premier is a 3-stage board and won't be as stable on take-off. My previous board was a 5-0 w/ a 3-stage rocker. It was fast and fun, but I was always a little unstable on take-off. The TFD is a good board, fast, stable take-off, good pop. If you really want a smooth board try a Belmont(or the Divine 134.) Unfortunately there aren't alot of boards out this year less than 136. It all depends on how you ride.

(Message edited by beth on June 20, 2003)
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   
seriously, my buddies girl rides an LF Nectar. Not sure if they still make them. She's a begginer but it works for her. Reminds me of another joke. What kind of watch do you buy a woman.........................you don't there is a clock on the stove.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-20-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
"WakeWorld.com had over 75,000 visitors in April. But the same 20 that are locked in the chat room everyday wouldn't let them get a word in edgewise" -- Alliance Magazine

Keats, a good place to start might be our Board Wizard. This should definitely narrow things down for you and give you an idea of some boards that you might want to demo.
Old    lukeh2owalker            06-20-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
my board is pretty i ride fine. sorry jeez?

joke: three blonde women are stranded on an island and they find a magic lamp. they rub the lamp and out comes a geanie that will grant them each one wish. so the first blonde asks to be smart so she can figure a way off the island. so the geanie makes her a red head and she swims off the island. the second wishes to be even smarter then the last. so the geanie makes her a brunnette and she builds a raft and paddles off the island. the third wishes to be the smartest. so the geanie makes her a man and the man walks over the bridge off the island.

have fun with whatever board you choose.
Old    flipside            06-20-2003, 5:02 PM Reply   
Well, I may not be the best one to give advice. But, I say go for the Hyperlite Belmont 131. It'd be MUCH more suited toward your frame than the 135+ boards.
Old     (razz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-20-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
Keats,

My wife is about 5'10" and approximately $%# pounds. (I'm smart enough to know that she can divulge that info if she wants but not me.) She is in great shape. (She runs 50 miles per week.) She rides a Hyperlite 135 Premier. She loves that board. Swears by it and probably won't ride anything else. Just a caution there are many good boards out there. Hyperlite is not the only good board manufacturer. (Hint...Liquid Force and many others) If you can, demo some boards and choose the one you like.

Aloha!
Old    beth            06-20-2003, 5:09 PM Reply   
Blonde Jokes? You guys are tough. The board wizard is a good starting point. It's pretty broad though. I used it and I think it gave me about 40 boards. Granted one of the ones it listed is what I bought. Demo as many boards as you can, see what YOU like.
Old    minty_fresh            06-20-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
03 Hyperlite Essence 131...hands down!
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-20-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
I say demo. Motive or belmont 136
Old    flipside            06-20-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
John,

You really think that a 125lb person would need a 136? Again, I'm probably not one to talk, but isn't that a little long?

FlipsidE
Old    boardofreality            06-21-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
Your input is greatly appreciated! I have tried the board wizard, it was a little difficult to narrow down though, that's why I thought I'd put the question out there. I would love to demo boards...just not sure where to do that in the northern VA area. Again, thanks!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
hell i was riding a belmont 128 and weigh 140 lbs, seemed fine for me, maybe not quite as much pop as id like but probably most ladies just starting out dont want to be bucked into the air like a parks board will do
Old    lindsayl            06-22-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
Keats, I don't know about Northern VA, but if you're willing to make the trip down to Richmond, trust me it will be worth it. Give Glass & Powder a call and talk to Cara, she's one of the owners and she rides and will totally hook you up with demos. www.glassandpowder.com, 877-We-Go-Big
Old    lindsayl            06-22-2003, 10:55 PM Reply   
Also, I ride a Premier 135, but there are so many great boards out there...LF Evo or Trip, HL Belmont. DEMO! I wouldn't recommend the LF Nectar (the board I used to ride), you'll out grow it quickly as your riding progresses.
Old    brianthomas            06-23-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
what type of ride are you looking for? It makes this alot easier so we can tell you a board with the characteristics you want.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
I am 6'0 170lbs and I ride a belmont 136. I am going to be upsizing my board to the 141... Anyway, the 136 will be too big for you, get something smaller.

I would recommend a relatively slow board with a continuous rocker and good edge hold. The speed of the board isn't that big of a deal but the rocker and edge hold is critical especially for beginners. Hyperlite models that meet this requirement are the TFD and Belmont.

Does anyone know what Liquid Force, CWB, Double Up, or Obrien offers for boards with good beginner characteristics?
Old    damnation            06-23-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
Keats, if you are wondering where to demo boards, come down to lake Anna this weekend. Glass & Powder is having one of their Mid-Atlantic Wakeboard series tournaments there this Saturday.

We will have several boats there and ladies with different boards to try out. Also, you can demo the boards from G&P right then and there.

Lake Anna is only about 1 hr. south of NoVA on I-95. Check the link for directions and details.
http://www.glassandpowder.com/shopinfo/events.html
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-23-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
What are your opinions on a LF Squirt 132 or the Diva 135?

(Message edited by wakeripper on June 23, 2003)
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2003, 2:38 PM Reply   
Definetly demo, most of the girls I ride w/ borrow my friends EVO 128 (? the elephant one) great board.
Old    bwinxs            06-23-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
I ride a CWB Worm its for 140lbs and less but if you want something thats longer lasting that you can grow into then i go with something larger.
Old    damnation            06-24-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
Here are the Lake Anna directions from the G&P website:

Lake Anna State Park, Picnic Area B

DIRECTIONS TO LAKE ANNA CONTEST
(or click here for Mapquest directions)

Directions from Richmond:
I-95 N toward WASHINGTON
Take the VA-606 exit- exit number 118- toward THORNBURG.
Turn LEFT onto VA-606 - From this point you should see signs toward the
state park.
Turn LEFT onto VA-208
Turn RIGHT onto LAWYERS RD/ VA-601

From Washington, DC,
Follow 95 South, then take the Thornburg exit number 118, see above!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Keats, just for a little perspective, my fiance is just a bit shorter than you and she rides a Trip 138. Definetly try and demo and find out what works best for you. Good Luck
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
My Suggestions are:
LF: Diva 135, Trip 134.
HL: Devine 134, Belmont 131.
and get some nice bindings, like HL Belmonts.
Old    guywithpants            06-24-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
My sister is basically the same as you, but she found a board she loves. Try the CWB sol, its a great board to learn on, and also when you get better you con still pull tricks on it. I would highly reccomend it
Old    shanday            06-24-2003, 10:55 AM Reply   
I'm 5'5, 125lbs and I ride the 02 Belmont 131 (it only comes in the biolite), and I love it. The ride off the wake is smooth which helps me really develop the proper technique on the jumps. Removing the center fin changes the ride (loosenes it up) and I probably won't buy a new one for a long time. I just watched Murray on his and I'm speechless!!!! Demo... Demo.... Demo....
Old    todd_fish            06-24-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
My girlfriend has a Rythem 134......
It works well for her... I would suggest it.
Old    isaac_d_funk            06-24-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
DoubleUP Nelson 135
DoubleUP Pro 133
Hyperlite Premier 135
Liquid Force Balance 135
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-24-2003, 2:11 PM Reply   
It really depends on your style and experience. I bought my wife (she is the same size as you) a new 2003 Hyperlite Divine 134 with 2003 Hyperlite 3060 bindings. She is a beginner and used to ride an old Byerly board. She really likes the Divine and can tell a huge difference in her riding. She says she feels more in control. Plus it has some cool graphics.

Old    wakejunkeygirl            06-26-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
I am 5 feet tall and 100 pounds..this is the Hyperlite Essence 131
good luck.
angisimpson.comwakeboard
Old    debsxstar            06-29-2003, 11:24 PM Reply   
I use a LF 134 and so far I like it. This is just the 2nd season i started wakeboarding and I consider myself a beginner. I've never taken a really bad fall YET. (hahahehe) But I also have just learned how to cut through the wake heel side and shift my weight to toe side as I carve back in. I use to think the board was too squirly because it just has a center fin and a grove close to the edge but it's because I wasn't edging. Now I love it.