Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    taidums            11-02-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hello! I am pissed. Know why? couple days ago I up my knee...some torn cartilage...a torn lcl...needless to say, I am sidelined as far as wakeboarding goes...guess I'll be the driver from now on! If anyone else knows how much this sucks, leave me a message...
Old    cam_warner            11-02-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
Yeah, i know how much that must suck...at least your injury happened this late in the year. I dislocated my shoulder 3 or 4 times this summer while wakeboarding, and ended up getting complete reconstructive surgery in the middle of August. It's still not back to 100%, and I go to physical therapy all the time to get the range of motion and strength back. It definitely sucks. So I'm right there with you.....
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-02-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
Did the knee in May, reconstruction in July, because of my condition, doctor has told me not to ride until atleast next July. I am in OZ and our season is just kicking in. By the end of summer I will be the best boat driver in the world. Frustrating, but at least I can get out on the river and enjoy the action
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-02-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
2 words, Vioxx and biking.
Old    sonicr1            11-03-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just found out I blew out my knee in August (at work thank goodness!!!)... wake boarded a couple times on it and played soccer... did not feel right, plus the LCL and MCL started to hurt which was my only clue that anything was wrong. Went to doc-Torn ACL, probably some issues with Miniscus and LCL, going back to doc today, and have an MRI this week. At first I was getting real upset, but a buddy of mine did the same thing last year... he was back to work in 4 months!!!
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2003, 5:04 PM Reply   
yup, broke my thumb in August and was out for a month. Rode once and had to go in for shoulder surgery that will keep me out until April.

Cam - what did you have done? I thought mine was a SLAP repair but it turned out to be a rotator cuff, a detached Bicep tendon AND a torn Labrum. Apparently I injured it about ten years ago snowboarding and I kept ripping it up ever since.
Old    odb            11-04-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
back to work in four months, wow. A real overachiever.

I had surgery last tuesday and I am typing this from my office, thats less than a week to return to work.

I am driving and hobbling around, but I do agree that it sucks. I am hoping to be back on the wakeboard by early spring, thats around three to four months. Six months is the norm, so we will see.
Old    ccalderon            11-29-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
Not sure if anyone is stilll reading this thread, but I just had an ACL replacement and I am out of any sports for one full year. I also tore my lcl, mcl and meniscus. It was a mess. I hyperextended it riding moto, but the funny thing was, I was only doing about 3 mph when it happened. The whole process really sucks, two surgeries, and a long long rehab with hopes of 90-95% recovery. Good luck and take care!
Old    simba            12-08-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
guys just buy a sky ski and learn some inverts on that thing. you go about twice as high as a wakeboard and you dont have to worry about your knees. Its a blast when your legs cant let you wakeboard
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-08-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   
Ok, stupid question but how come so many people are blowing out their knees. I have never hurt mine. I mountain bike a lot and go to the gym regularly, so my legs are pretty strong. Or maybe it's because I mess up my back before I have a chance to injur my knees.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-08-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
From what my doctor and physio said the more bike and gym work the better. Also doing a knee is not like your back where it gets more painful gradually. You can totally screw your knee for good with one strange movement. Most people do their ACL's (me playing basketball and just stepping past a guy at speed, knee dislocated, completely tore ACL). 2 main causes when wakeboarding is people landing just with their knees locked (knee can slightly bend backwards and tear ACL) or as your feet are strapped in, body goes one way while feet go another, pressure and weight on your knee can be too much and POP!

I still cringe when I think about that sound and feeling in my knee.

I am not a medical expert but keep up the bike and it will protect you alot.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-08-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
I have yet to any major damage to my knees only 1 broken leg, and a couple of mild hyperextentions, yea im sort of scared of getting my knee messed up wakeboarding seeing all these other people getting big injuries...oh well its worth it.

I also broke my foot early this season in like april testing out a new sport like thing me my brothers and a couple of friends were srewing around with, landed on my foot sideways, and yea it hurt to walk. it was healing up, so i tried to put my bindings on....OUCH!!! but luckly, or unluckly i didnt go wakeboarding till like may.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-09-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
The main reason I mountain biked so much is so I didn't look like a wounded seal when I put a wetsuit on, but I'm gld it has other benefits. I learned to snowboard before wakeboarding so I might be a little better at the landings than a brand new rider. Thanks for the tip.
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-09-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
First day of a 2 week vacation and first time on my new board, I did my knee. I only have partial tears of the ACL,MCL, and PCL. Dr. says no surgery now... He told me to go out and have fun and he'll fix it when one of them tears completely.... Can't wait!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-10-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
Join the club! Didn't tear the ACL or MCL but bruised it pretty badly. Got an MRI in June and Doc said stay off the water for 6 to 8 weeks. Blew my summer to say the least. Still doesn't feel right but PT and GLUCOSAMINE work wonders. I can't say enough about Glucosamine. Many professional athletes are taking it to rebuild joint tissue. If you're not taking it and have a bad knee, get to the GNC ASAP!
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-10-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
I ruptured my ACL at work last year. I had reconstructive surgery 12/12/02. I was wakeskating by April and boarding again (w/a brace) by June. Lots of work on the buke and strength and conditioning of the legs is the key to getting back on track. Good doctor too. Anyone need a tip on an orthapedic surgeon...Dr. Dillingham in the bay area. He's the 49rs team doc. He did Jerry Rice's knee and look at that guy still go.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-10-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
oops...bike
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-10-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
Steve, was the bike part of your re-hab? I usually bike a couple times a week but it's all crazy technical mountain biking. Average ride is about 7 miles. I'm starting to think I should do a little more if it keeps me from blowin out a knee.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-10-2003, 10:35 PM Reply   
Yes, the physical therapist said bike riding is one of the best things for knees. Non-impact and it builds calfs, quads and hamstrings which all support the knee. Also, a good conditioning routine for legs is good. Squats, hack squats, hamstring curls, calf raises and light weight on leg extentions.