Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
Ok, so not a wrap, but a cheap way to really change the look of a boat. For about $80 I got 7" olympic blue vinyl striping and the same color custom boat numbers from vinylsriping.com. Originally my boat screamed mid '90's with the 3/4" purple/teal stripe above the rub rail and a 1" purple/teal stripe below the rub rail. Not to mention the purple/teal interior that was inside the boat, but I redid that a few years ago. For the last couple of years i had a 1" black pin stripe covering the origials but always loved the vapor blue Malibu boats. So this spring it was time for that project. It took me about 12 hours total, about twice what I expected but I love how it turned out. I used soapy water in a spray bottle and sprayed the boat and sticker when I put the striping on, then pushed the water out from behind the striping with a squeegee. The hardest part was from the bow of the boat to the middle of the windshield with the different contours. I used a heat gun and shrunk the vinyl enough to work pretty good. At the back of the boat I had to cover the original stripes so that is why it looks kind of different and the vinyl doesn't wrap around the corners.
Attached Images

Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-28-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
That looks great nick. You really have outdone yourself with that boat, all you need to do is learn how to lay some glass and you build one yourself from nothing. Nice job once again. We need to ride sometime this year. I'd be down for a road trip to you or vice versa for a weekend
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
That came out nice! Looks great!
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-28-2012, 9:48 PM Reply   
Now all you need is a cool looking malibu sticker on the sides and that thing will look dope
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-28-2012, 11:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_in_ssp View Post
Ok, so not a wrap, but a cheap way to really change the look of a boat. For about $80 I got 7" olympic blue vinyl striping and the same color custom boat numbers from vinylsriping.com. Originally my boat screamed mid '90's with the 3/4" purple/teal stripe above the rub rail and a 1" purple/teal stripe below the rub rail. Not to mention the purple/teal interior that was inside the boat, but I redid that a few years ago. For the last couple of years i had a 1" black pin stripe covering the origials but always loved the vapor blue Malibu boats. So this spring it was time for that project. It took me about 12 hours total, about twice what I expected but I love how it turned out. I used soapy water in a spray bottle and sprayed the boat and sticker when I put the striping on, then pushed the water out from behind the striping with a squeegee. The hardest part was from the bow of the boat to the middle of the windshield with the different contours. I used a heat gun and shrunk the vinyl enough to work pretty good. At the back of the boat I had to cover the original stripes so that is why it looks kind of different and the vinyl doesn't wrap around the corners.
Now it screams mid 80's?

Like it!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-29-2012, 5:13 AM Reply   
man i was so hopin to see somebody giving their boat the "krylon touch!" looks good though!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-29-2012, 5:48 AM Reply   
Can we see that interior?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-29-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
probably would look better with the whole side being blue, and the top (above rub rail) just white.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for the good replys, yea this thing has come along since I have bought it 5 years ago. Ballast system, interior, trailer, and all the other small projects dealing with a boat. Here is the interior link from a while back http://http://www.wakeworld.com/foru...d.php?t=745256
Don, definatly want to get togather some time this summer and do some riding I'll have to let you know when I'm down in the cities for a couple days, or you could come up here and bum around for a weekend.
Here are some pics I'll show them off any opportunity I can.
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-29-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
Wow, missed that thread from before. Sooo nice! Great job Nick! The old school Malibu logo is the business.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-29-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
excellent job and look, imo.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-29-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
you should build you two small benches on either side so you can have wrap around seating and cover it like the rest. that old school malibu logo on the sundeck is nothing short of pure awesomeness! please tell you rock out hard to 80s music behind this thing!
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-29-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
So you have a sac underneath the rear bench? Or does that plumbed to bags in the rear locker?
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-29-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
Don't do wrap around seating! I have the same model/interior layout and the open area is awesome! I hate wrap around seating, 2 people standing and there is no where to go. 2 people can sit in the observers seat right now and still have their feet on the floor, with wrap around peoples feet are always on a seat. Sorry about the rant, sweet boat! I will post my poor mans wrap tomorrow
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-29-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
dude how in the world did you do your interior so nicely? WOW! I would love to redo mine....
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2012, 2:57 PM Reply   
Sippi, like Matthew said, I love the open floor plan. Great for so many reasons 1.Wide open spaces to walk and move about the boat. 2. I can slide two wakesurf boards between the captains chair and the side of the boat. 3. I had Fly High make a custom surf sac, I think was 30"x30"x30" that fits perfectly between the back of the driver seat and the bench seat. Then when we switch to the other side for regular footed riders i just drain/fill the bags in the back locker and this one will roll right to the other side. Here are some old pics.
Bobby, that is a port with a Fly High quick connect that is hooked up to a 1200 tsunomi off my manifold. I have a 5' hose with the male ends on each end and just go from the pump to sac and flip a switch. I use that to fill my Surf Sac. I also have one of these ports in the walk thru to the bow to fill a bag in the bow. I did a write up when I did my ballast system in like '08 or '09 but doing a search I can't come up with finding it.
And Matthew I would love to see what you come up with for a custom look. If your interested I have some tips that I would share if I ever did this again.
Attached Images

Old    sperbet            05-29-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
Nice work on the boat. Upholstery is awesome
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-30-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
I also love a walk through bow. Most new boats have a playpen bow, I am not an infant, I don't want to sit in a playpen. Put the ballast under the floor! I trailer my boat and jump in the bow when they pick me up at the launch. I don't want to step on the center coushin and then butt-slide into the cockpit area!

Anyway, I did my ballast/heater/tower lights switches similar to yours, i didn't have the radio slot so I put mine infront of the throttle, we use it so much we wore off the lettering so I need to label it again, but everyone I ride with knows to "hit up on the first 3 switches when the boat hits the water"

Here is my wrap too, keep in mind I am a woodshop teacher so its cool to me. It actually makes the boat look sleaker since there is no tribal graphic to break up the lines if you know what I mean. $180 for the vinyl and $60 for the new malibu decals on the back. I know people are going to hate on it, but I just paid it off after 10 years
Attached Images

Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-30-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
That "woody" looks doPe! The teal ehh
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-30-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Thanks, I tinted the windows, added the wood stripe, and put on a bimini to shade my infant daughters eyes all for about $400