Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-13-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
Okay. I've started, never installed a stereo with amps before. Please help guys.....

My amp says to use a 75a fuse, I have a 100a fuse. Can I use this?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-13-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
Don't answer that question, already answered.

where is the best place to buy a capacitor and some 4 gauge wire. I bought an amp kit before i bought the amp, but it came with 8 gauge. the amp says only use 4 gauge.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-13-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
How big of an amp are you running that you need a cap? From what Ive been told the only reason for a cap is if you only have one battery or have huge pounding subs. I might be wrong, but....If you go ebay there are stereo equip dealers that sell everything . I bought an amp kit for around $25 thats better that the first one I got at best buy for $90.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
I got a good amp kit off of ebay as well for $25.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
i can almost guarantee you do not need a cap.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
Go to Wally World, (WalMart) and buy a Scosche 4 gau. amp kit. They are ridiculously cheap and come with a big fuse, holder and lots of wire, and connectors. 24$ I think. Caps are mostly a band aid for not big enough wire, but they do help BUT they are a hassle to mount and are a safety hazard, don't bother. Put a dent in one or short the terminals and they will explode. Don't ask.

There are fuses on the amp to protect the amp. The big giant (external inline) fuse in the amp kit is to protect the wire from the source (battery) to the amp in case it gets pinched. If your amp takes 75 amps and you have a 100 amp fuse, and the big wire shorts straight to ground somehow, that's OK, because the fuse will pop instantaneously with a dead short. Mount the fuse securely, in a dry place, in the 12v+ line, within a foot or two of the battery. It has to be close to the battery or it won't do it's job if the wire gets pinched and shorts to ground between the battery and the fuse, big fire bad juju.

Before you start wiring, buy a 10$ fire extinguisher, please:-) Also from Wally World.

(Message edited by cyclonecj on April 13, 2005)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2005, 10:15 PM Reply   
Oh, yeah. Keep the questions coming, Ronia. All of us knuckleheads have made the mistakes already and will be glad to help you NOT make them:-)
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2005, 1:09 AM Reply   
Psyclone, do you post on Big12 message boards like raiderpower.com ?

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-14-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
I am only running one battery (might install a second after the whole stereo is installed).

The amp is an MTX MXA6004. (75 watt RMS x 4 @ 4ohm) Plus one sub amp running one sub. The sub amp is an MTX6500D (400 watts x 1 @ 2 ohm).

I bought the walmart amp wiring kit. It came with the 100a fuse and 8 gauge power wire. The amp specifically says to only use 4 gauge wire.

Should I get the capacitor and should I wire that amp with 4 gauge as the manual recommends?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-14-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
Oh, the amp manual doesn't say anything about a capacitor. I read that somewhere else.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-14-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
I just double checked the walmart amp kit that I bought and it has 5 gauge power cable.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-14-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
I think 1000 watts RMS is about where you need a capacitor. Running two amps, you're probably going to want another battery. I would do this on the initial install - it may keep you from getting stuck on the water. Your power supply is not something you want to skimp on.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-14-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
5 gauge should work fine for your amp. I would check your alternator output and see if your over it. You may screw up your alternator if your always pulling to many amps out of it and or your battery. More than likely your fine but on a few boats they came with alternators that had not room for adding things. Our malibu had a 50 amp alternator that wasn't enough at all. The new malibu's have 70 so just one more thing to consider.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-14-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
Hyrum,
I have no idea how to check for that. We don't have a manual for the boat either.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-14-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
Clint,
No, not me.

Ronia, I think you could contact the engine or boat manufacturer, they could probably tell you what came stock. Or ask someone here with the exact same boat.
Mine has output stamped on a plate on the alternator.