Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-31-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
I just got a 99 sunsetter VLX and whenever I go over like 15 miles an hour water starts pouring onto my feet from under the dash. I looked under there and there are two little tubes the water is coming from and I have no idea what they are for or where they are supposed to be hooked up. I was gonna just plug them up with something, but I don't want to mess something up. The boat ran fine all day, just had water running onto my feet every time we pulled a boarder. Any else had this problem? Anyone know what I should do with those little tubes? Thanks
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
It is the lines for your heater. If you don't have a heater you can plug them no problem
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Oh second thought if they are really tiny lines it could be the pito tubes for your speedo
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-31-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
yeah they are pretty small. One says PRIMARY and one says SECONDARY. I thought they could go to the speedo but I don't see anywhere to hook them up...
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
Does your Speedo work?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-01-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbush11 View Post
Does your Speedo work?
Why yes.... it does.

But it works better when I stuff a sock in it.....................
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
If they say "Primary" and "Secondary" those are your speedo tubes. It's not going to hurt anything to kink them over and zip tie them for the time being and get out on the water but your speedo won't work.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of Malibus but on my '00 Mastercraft there's some kind of electronic gauge control module bolted to the partition by the driver's feet. On that module there are two male barbed fittings labeled "Pri" and "Sec" and that's where the tubes go.

On an older style speedo setup you'd have two different gauges and the tubes would go back directly to the gauges.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-01-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Gotcha. I will have to look around and see if I can connect them anywhere. Also, none of my gauges are working. No engine temp, no fuel gauge, nothing. How would I go about getting those to work?
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Jeff has it right there is a gauge module under the dash thats were the water tubes go. it will have an electrical connector on the end and the spedo tubes go on the pri. sec nipples.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
Gotcha. I will have to look around and see if I can connect them anywhere. Also, none of my gauges are working. No engine temp, no fuel gauge, nothing. How would I go about getting those to work?
If you have electronic gauges (Not necessarily digital displays, i.e. they could have analog style needles) then there is likely a box under the dash that feeds them all.

You'd probably need to get advice from someone more familiar with the specifics of a '99 Malibu but are there other wiring harnesses that aren't connected to anything under there? I'm wondering if that gauge module was completely removed.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-01-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
BTW I'm pretty confident that you have this type of gauge setup given the fact that none work. I suppose it's also possible that the grounding block under the dash has lost it's continuity to ground.

To test for a good ground locate the grounding block under the dash. Get an ohm meter and a length of wire sufficient to reach from the negative battery terminal to the dash area. Connect the length of wire securely to the negative battery post. Then check continuity between the grounding block and the length of wire by connecting the length of wire to one probe of your meter and touch the other probe to the grounding block. You should see 0 or near 0 ohms of resistance. If you see much more than 0 then you probably need to troubleshoot that lead from the grounding block.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-01-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
thanks guys. i will check it out first thing in the morning and check back...
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
when we installed PP a few years ago on our 97 sanger I shoved a golf tee up the tube to stop the flow of water...works great...unless of course you actually need to use the tubes!
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       08-02-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Sangeria I did the same when I removed my origonal speedo and put the PP display in I had water runing all over my feet from the tubes so I pluged them and was good to go.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-02-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
hmmmm. good idea with the golf tees. I will have to give that a try
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-03-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
That's funny, I did the same thing, good ole golf tee.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-03-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
You have a module called the MMD. It is about the size of a small book, and is black plastic. This controls all of your guages and it is where the pitot tubes plug into. I am guessing it was damaged, most likely due to water damage or freezing and cracking. You need to fix or replace this in order to get your guages working. Take it out (4 screws) and bring it to your nearest Malibu dealer and have them check it for you. If you do not like working in tight areas, remove the driver seat, trust me it is well worth the effort to have the room to manuever.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-04-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Troy. That's what I needed to know!