Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-15-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
just started looking at moving, been thinking about atlanta, but my company has openings in austin, Hows it like to live there. I am from pgh pa thanks for the help
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-15-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
effin amazing!

I live in San Antonio, but go to Austin as much as possible...keep Austin weird!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-15-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
i think i am going to take a trip there and check it out. i have a brother in atlanta and its a growing area, but it would be nice to get away from the weather. i am in sales med/dental i would have to think that austin would rock, and it seems to be a growing area
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-16-2010, 5:41 AM Reply   
Fun town, but not sure I'd call Austin a growing area, its pretty much all growns up. Its an awesome city, but has the worst traffic in the state, which is saying something, but it also probably has the best looking women per capita in the country.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
Its absolutly horrible. Please reconsider. There are no good wakeboarding spots and its cold all the time. Plus, the mexican food is horrible, its expensive to live there when compared with other large cities in the states. It is impossible to find good live music. I would completly stay away.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
google "live music capital of the world"
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
It's boring, filthy, crime-ridden, and everyone is rude.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-16-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
PS. Most true austinites dont' want any more poeple discovering how awesome it is to live in austin.

To add on Sanfields stmt. beatiful women are almost everywhere, while austin has a ton of them, it's their approachability that makes them even more attractive.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
Also 4th worst traffic in the nation:

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2010/01/18/daily28.html
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Ben,

Heard of sarcasim? It is a JOKE!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Mike,

Heard of assume? I was telling Doug to google that, not you...calm down Airman
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
My bad....calming down. And you assume i am an airman why?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
You like my example? :-)

I assumed you're an Airman because you're profile says military as occupation and San Angelo as town. I know Goodfellow AFB is there. I went to school there when I was active duty.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Well you assumed right. I am a MSgt stationed in Iraq right now.

Back to Austin. It sucks. Stay away.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
You can live in a quiet suburb of Austin and avoid all the typical urban issues. You can also be in downtown Austin from Round Rock or Georgetown in 15-20 min assuming you don't hit rush hour traffic. I have a house there you can buy from me:-)
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-16-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I actually wouldn't mind moving there, but I would take a huge pay cut and teachers already are not paid a whole lot. Seems like a pretty fun town though.
Old     (wakesheazy)      Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Irvine, California       02-16-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Eventhough I'm not a fan of texas in general... lived in houston and south texas for a significant amount of time... I would pack up and move from here (socal) to austin the VERY second a job opp presented itself. I am absolutely in love.

If you love the outdoors, music, and wakeboarding; there is nothing better. The southern hospitality and low cost of living is icing on the cake.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-23-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
My wife and I have been looking hard at moving to the Austin area also. What is the weather like there year round? 30 years in Bend, OR is going to be hard to leave I can be on my snowmobile in the mountains and 45 mins later be on the lake wakeboarding, but with Oregon slowly becoming California it is looking like it's time to get out of here. I can deal with no snow but I live on the boat 6 months out of the year what are the lakes like? Blown out and crowded or is there still some good area's.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-23-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
That depends on the lake. There are some beautiful lakes in TX with very clear water that stays warm late into the season. However, most lakes in TX are Corps of Engineer lakes and don't allow private boat docks. So most people store them on land and use the public launches. Depending on the lake, this is either no hassle at all or quite a bit.

There are lakes either in Austin or within an hour that can suit anyone's needs from party meccas to virtually deserted.