Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    mtbmudmachine            01-29-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
We went to the Nor-Cal boat show yesterday with the intent to look over the Nautiques and Mastercraft's we had looked at the Malibu's last Saturday. We were walking threw the show and walked threw the Calabrea booth looking in the boats and the Calabrea salesman started talking with us after about 10 min of him talking we were done and wanted to go but didn't want to turn our heads and walk. (The show was real slow) nobody was there. A salesman/friend that works at Malibu walk past us and said "Hi" we used him as a diversion to leave the Calabrea booth. We said thanks to Calabrea and walked. The Calabrea Salesman thinking that Malibu stole customers away pull the Malibu salesman back into there booth by his arm and start yelling at him and then shove him into the wall and tell him there going to take him outside and kick his ass, We went back inside the Calabrea booth and split them apart. The Guy from Malibu was totally caught of guard he thought it was a joke and they were kidding at first. They should change there slogan to "Buy our Boat or we will kick your Ass" and any other salesman you talk to.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-29-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
wow! It just proves those type of people are everywhere!

Must say it sucks to be Calabrea right now... how do you deal with a guy like that? Pull the dealership... slap him on the hand... follow him home and kick his a$$...???

People are so interesting!
Old    jsalem            01-29-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
I'd sue the shixxx out of that guy for harrasment and assualt, then tell him Malibu makes a much better boat anyway.
Old    leggester            01-29-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
Wouldn't it be great if you could actually spell the boat name?

I'd be tempted to call Calabria and let them know of the behavior of the dealer.

(Message edited by leggester on January 29, 2003)
Old    allaboutwake            01-29-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
you have to give the dealer a break. he is trying to sell $40,000 worth of crap. how would you do that?
Old    mtbmudmachine            01-29-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
Matt: Sorry I spelled it Wong. But actually you spelled Actually wrong we would make a great team Dumb and Dumber! And "Jeff" you would sue some one for giving you a shove and some words. I guess that's why we have the "Peoples Court", Judge Judy, ect. What ever happened to the good old days where you cold give some one a good old fashion beat down if they deserved it with no repercussions!
Old    leggester            01-29-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Yep, got me there!

Looks like we might have a WakeWorld, dumb, dumber and dumbest thing going!

p.s. I forgot the smiley face on the previous post. Sorry.
Old    kschroeder            01-29-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
Bill was that you again, bulliing the competition?
Old    jsalem            01-29-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
Then again I wasn't there, but it sounds like the Calabria salesman was out of line and no one who pays to get into an event deserves to be treated in such a way verbally or physically. If the salesman is that frustrated with selling boats he should get out of the business because he isn't doing Calabria or any of his co-workers a bit of good. Obviously it was a misunderstanding and the Calabria salesman jumped to conclusions and the didn't know the Malibu Rep. and the shoppers knew each other as freinds. Regardless of all that, the bottom line is the whole reason a show like a "boat show" exists is to cater to potential shoppers and customers. Personally I probably wouldn't sue but I know for a fact people do for less. I would definetly report it to show officials and demand that salesman be removed from the remainder of the show. If that didn't happen I would find the guy later an personally kick his a$$ just for being a instead of listening to some bixxx (fill it in for yourself) like judge Judy school me on the law.
Old    mtbmudmachine            01-29-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Jeff" getting him chucked from the show is what The Malibu salesman should have done. I think that would have clearly shown and told the Calabria salesman his actions were out of line. Brian the Malibu salesman was cool for not takeing it to the next level and just walking away
Old    matt_dettman            01-29-2003, 7:41 PM Reply   
Ah, the boat show wars...

I could tell you all some great boat show stories over a few cold ones!

Matt
Old    tc_boards            01-29-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
Lets be fair... (not that I own a Calabria)
I don't think that the Boat Manufacturer told the dealer to do this. It's not Calabria's fault. It's probably not even the dealer that is at fault here. I don't think the dealer asked thier sales reps to do what this guy did. I bet if they(Dealer) found out there would be some consequences.
Why don't you name the dealer and the sales rep rather then the manufacturer. So if anyone does want to buy a boat from this dealer they'll know to steer clear from that sales rep.
just my .02 cents....
Old    hlboatsnboards            01-29-2003, 9:16 PM Reply   
Justin,
40,000 piece of crap???? Care to express how you REALLY feel about the boat? I would love to hear why you dislike my product so much. Of course I put my heart and soul into this sport, and I understand people have different opinions, just like to hear there reasoning I suppose.

As for the salesman at that show that was completely out of line. I am going to check into that. He certainly needs to be repremanded in some form. Those responsiblities are obvisouly not up to me, but I certainly can point Calabria in the right direction as to look into what he is doing.

B
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       01-29-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
"Buy our boat or we will kick your ass"

I like that, I hope grant doesn't have patent rights to that slogan.
Old    x10            01-29-2003, 11:01 PM Reply   
Maybe they should change the name from Calabria to Cloberya.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-29-2003, 11:56 PM Reply   
It seemed to be the gossip of the show yesterday, Boats and Boards! I heard about it all afternoon long. Actually, most of today too!
Drama!!!!!!!
Old    calawho            01-30-2003, 5:48 AM Reply   
cloberya-nice one tom!!! this is good stuff. i've been bored with some of the latest ww posts- but now...
Old    hlboatsnboards            01-30-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Calabria has been notfied, so I am sure they will check into more thoroughly. But shouldn't this be more about the dealer? I know the salesman reps for the manufactuer AND his dealership. But this should be giving his dealer more of a bad name then anything else. What dealer was it?

B

(Message edited by hlboatsnboards on January 30, 2003)
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-30-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
Does this have anything to do with the lawsuit I read about a couple weeks ago where a very well known deity was suing Clobberya? Perhaps the salesman thought the Malibu guy was in cahoots with God.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-30-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
Zedz Dead- as in Pulp Fiction? I love that movie!

Whos motorcycle is this?

It's a chopper baby!

(Message edited by aneal000 on January 30, 2003)
Old    viabaja            01-30-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
$40,000 piece of crap??? Now I have to put my 2 cents in. As a Calabria owner I disagree. The boat has its flaws and all the others do to. But unless you (Justin) own one and have experienced some time behind the wheel operating the boat, then your comment adds no value. The Cal-Air for what the boat has, offers great cost savings compared to the others. However, Calabria needs to improve their customer service from top on down. This is where they lack in my opinion.
Old    danno            01-30-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
I'll probably get slammed for this, but I kind of like the boat. Not as much as the MC or the CC (that we ended up buying), but I looked at them for a bit. Out here, they have a deal with Costco. For those that don't know Costco, it's a discount warehouse store. You know, "I need 17 pair of white shoes, 10 gallons of Teryaki Sauce, a Pallet of Coffee Cups, 16 dozen condoms, oh and throw in one of those boats you've got parked out front. I think that'll do it."
But then, you just never seen a Costco Employee threatening the WalMart greeter for infringing on their market.

~dan
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-31-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
A deal w/ Costco. You mean they're selling boats right next to TVs and vacuum cleaners? I hope that doesn't violate any patents.
Old    jsalem            01-31-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
I have to pipe back in here, this thread is great! Great plug on the Costco, Walmart thing. A lot of what you say is true for the one stop shopping. Personally I haven't seen any boats at Costco yet, but I'll keep my eyes open. Just for the record I only said that "in my opinion Malibu makes a much better boat" not the "$40,000 worth of crap" statement No comment on the "$40,000 worth of crap" claim. I was at the boat show last night, pretty dead, no fights broke out. I went to a fight once and a hockey game broke out, maybe the boat show will be better on the weekend. The only thing I saw worth buying at those prices was the BEER !!!
Old    bigd            01-31-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
They should have a "tough rep" competition where all the sales reps duke it out for 3 rounds. Then the grand champion gets to get up on the main stage and totally trash every other brand there for 15 minutes or so. Now THAT would be a good boat show!
Old    norcal_99            01-31-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
In the corner to my right, weighing in at.... ding ding.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-31-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   

Mad Man Malibu v.s. The Calabria Clobber

Lets get ready to rumble
Old    danno            01-31-2003, 1:07 PM Reply   
Jeff. For the record, the beer at the San Diego Boat Show was... well it was pretty awful for the price. Either that or my standards have changed since college.

And, no fights to my knowledge to report there either.

I don't know who Costco makes it's deals with, give them a call about boats. I know they are brokers for automobiles. I've seen different boats parked outside different stores around the San Diego area, mostly Maxum, SeaDoo, Calabria... I think for the MC/CC/Malibus you need to hook up with your local dealer.

~dan
Old    calawho            02-03-2003, 5:12 AM Reply   
does costco have a service dept. for a calabria? gotta buy oil in 55 gallon drums for it???
Old    matt_dettman            02-03-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
We did a Costco display with our Stingray runabout two years ago. It used to be cost effective but they have changed their policy.

It was a killer deal. The employees would push the boat in at night and out in the morning. That is until they got tired of doing it everyday. They started ramming the fenders intop the door jamb and running carts into the hull!

The real killer though was the genius employee who started putting merchandise in the boat while he worked the night shift, then removing the goods during the day when the boat was out front!!! Busted!

Matt
Old    upupnaway            02-03-2003, 11:52 PM Reply   
Instead of a battle royal between the dealers, they should have a demolition derby. the last dealer in a running boat gets the front display, the rest get to set up by the dumpsters and port-o-potties.
Really though, who could possibly think they would impress a customer that way, unless you were selling self-defense classes.
Old    biddyb            02-07-2003, 5:37 PM Reply   
I was just reading all of your entries and I found it kind of interesting. The thing I found so interesting was that half of you work at Malibu Dealers. I know however that you all must be upstanding people and never form biased conclusions. That statement was almost as full of as much sh$% as all the comments above. People, don't believe the hype. Let me know if you want to know the real deal. Peace!
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-08-2003, 2:49 AM Reply   
Ok Brian: I started this Post. I was there tell Us all what really happend. Read the first post and tell us all "how diffrent it realy was". And rember There were 3 other people standing right there with me. becarefull not to put your foot back in your mouth, that was what started this whole thing. And what are you trying to say This is a conspericy started by Malibu. Oo And I don't work for Malibu.
Old    biddyb            02-08-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
First of all Grant you fail to mention how your so called buddy told the Calabria rep how he would kick his ass and preceeded to poke him in the chest. Also don't think you were the only people there. It is a big show and there are eyes everywhere. By the way buy a dictionary or take a english class.
Old    ratm3706            02-08-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
By the way, buy a dictionary and take an English class.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-08-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
Brian the forum is not a place for a spelling exam. Don't even go there.

Of course there are two sides to every story. The end result was dealers were out of line at the boat show. It has nothing to do with what type of boats was in the booth.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    kiwi            02-08-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
Was that boat show or bout show . At least nobody pulled a gun .
Jeez the worst you get at a boat show in New Zealand is lattes at 6 paces
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-09-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Brian: I don't know who you are or where you were standing maybe you can tell us?. But me my brother & my friend were right there. I didn't mention the Malibu sales man poking the Co-Lober-ya sale's man because I didn't see that happen. I would have personally would have done allot more than poke someone in the chest if they did to me what they did to the Malibu salesman (Throw him up against the wall) "yes there were 2 Col-lober-ya sales men” Hey Brian it's funny how you are trying to turn this thing around and some how say the Malibu sales man deserved what he got. Like I left out some of the fact's The Clo-lober-ya salesmen were so far out of line you don't have a leg to stand on. As far as leaving out things that happened there was more that happened in that booth than what I said in my original post, I just didn't want to say it because it made the Co-lober-ya sale's men look even more stupid. As far As I was concerned this whole thing was kind of dead but if you want to re-cap it. Brian If you know the "Real Deal" why don't you post it??? Or was that it "The Malibu sales man poked the Co-lober-ya guy in the chest and started the whole thing?????? Open Mouth Insert Foot.
Old    hlboatsnboards            02-09-2003, 9:30 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what provoked the salesman to do that to the malibu guy?
Old    hlboatsnboards            02-09-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Let me restate that...I know malibu guy walked by and said hey, but I would have to believe that it stemmed from something previous. I certainly don't know anyone that would do such a thing for saying hello. Anywho....anyone have the scoop as to what was going on before hand??

B
Old    bigd            02-10-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-12-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
So Brian, what is the other side of the story then?

As far as Grant trying to start a conspiracy for Malibu, you should check out Grant's website. He's true blue through and through to Nautiques as anybody could get.
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-12-2003, 7:10 PM Reply   
David: What do you think the other side of the story is? I bet you have a pretty good Idea. I bet it's the same Idea as my'n (there isn't one)
I know If there was some un-truth in some story that was floating around about me and or the product that I was selling, And I wanted to call B.S I wouldn’t wait weeks to respond??

as far As Conspiracy's go I do believe is som here are a few.
#1 Popeye's chicken put's secrete chemicals in there chicken to control black people.
#2 Elvis Shot JFK
#3 Alien's come millions of light years to shove things in our butt's
Old     (jds1)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2003, 8:27 PM Reply   
I know who Brian is...my guess he was there, possibly observed it as well?
Old    liquidforcer88            02-12-2003, 10:26 PM Reply   
God if yall wanna see a fight go watch American Fighting Championship, you ppl go crazy over a little unfriendly competion, the man is just tryin to sell a crappy boat. Well i dont know i just might be a crazy redneck from Texas

(Message edited by liquidforcer88 on February 12, 2003)
Old    waksetr            02-12-2003, 11:41 PM Reply   
O.K. here we go. I have been watching this thread for about a week. Here Is the deal. I was the guy who mr. calabrea salesman was talking to. Thats how this whole thing started. I am getting a boat this spring I am fairly set on a wakesetter. A friend of mine thought i should check out a natique, Just to compare. So on our way to chekout the natiques booth we stoped and were looking at calabreas.
The show was dead and the salesman was talking to us, he had asked if I had a boat and I told him I was planning on getting a wakesetter. we talked About there boats for about 10 min. as we are getting ready to leave a buddy of ours that works for malibu walked by to say whats up. My exact words to him where"bro you cought me we were going to check out a Air before coming to see you" we said thanks to the calabrea guys and walked out the door to the next pavilion where natiques had there booth. Once outside the door I watched Mr calabrea Grab Mr. malibu by the arm "why don't you come inside for a minute" he sais mr. Malibu taken buy quite suprise nearly falling from the strong yank on his arm responds with "dude what the %$#@". as they got closer to the door MR. Calabrea says "don't you ever take someone out of my booth" and shoves him back this time the door breaking his fall. Now mr. Calabrea#2 joins in they have Mr. Malibu up against the wall and are both tearing into him about how he was stealing one of there coustemers. Hey Calabrea did you Not hear him the whole time this was going on and he was trying to explain to you that he was a friend of ours not a shark stealing a sale. Here is the part that really confuses me. If you indeed had thought that i was interested in your boat, and was a prospective buyer. Would you not you wait till i was a little more then 5 feet from this guy before you pulled this little stunt.
So there it is the whole story the whole thing. Calabrea is there anything you want to call false!!!

Old    liquidfergie            02-13-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
I just caught on to this post and must say I have seen and heard alot of stuff at shows. It is a time to wheel and deal not fight and feud. Some dealers are in way over their heads trying to make it in the business. Some dealers try to personify a life style of thrills and fun when they really are just getting buy themselves. Hence the stress and pressure of trying to captivate any and every customer they can.
This is a common case, imo, of an inferior complex. I know because I had it when I worked for Centurion. I never felt like we were capable of being the best boat on the market because the way other guys produced, marketed, and sold their boats.
I love this sport and the boats are awesome. Right now is a buyers market. With the amount of used boats on the market these reps/dealers are stressing out about how to pay bills and not loose their pants.
It would seem that people doing most of the feuding are the ones that are struggling. How unfortunate. Even more so they have opinions on how we should buy then bash us when we give ours!
Cant wait to go to the boat show next weekend~!

Bill are you gonna be Garys bodyguard/bouncer?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-13-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
What is funny is why is the manufacturer involved. Shouldn't it be the marine dealers.

Thuneman just showing your ignorance I assume. Just because they are a smaller company does not mean they are crap.

For the record it is CALABRIA.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-13-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   

Who cares even if the Malibu salesman was "stealing a customer", though I dont think he was. Those guys get paid to sell boats. Period. You dont think other industries go head to head to make a sale. Its just business, eat or get eat'n.
Old    liquidforcer88            02-13-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
its not that i dont like the company because it is small i just dont like the boats they are selling, they dont look good at all.
Old    bigd            02-13-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
This started out funny... now it's just sad and pathetic.

Who gives a sheet if some rep rags on one of his bros at a boat show? Let 'em tussle - it's good for the business.

You guys act like these fookwads split the atom or something...

Seems like I'm on the PussWorld site.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-13-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
Grant,

I think you misunderstood my post. I was bagging on Brian because he mentioned that we needed to hear the "other side of the story" but never elaborated, and also saying it was a Malibu conspiracy when you're a Nautique man, not a Malibu man.
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-13-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
Dave: Ya It's all good I got where you were comming from. I was just saying "You and I know" Brian is full of S" Thats waht I ment when I said "I bet you have a pretty good Idea. I bet it's the same Idea as my'n (there isn't one) > It was funny to see Jude Post in. He was there and he was the guy Mister Mabilu said Hi To Pretty funny!
Late G
Old    liquidforcer88            02-13-2003, 9:53 PM Reply   
God you ppl act like my principle, why not pull them each into an office and ask questions then we can give em detention for 3 hours hows that punishment????

(Message edited by liquidforcer88 on February 13, 2003)
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
We don't do that because High School and the real world are two very different things.
Old    nohalfboats            02-27-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
Who would want a "BUILTWITHGLUE" ANYWAY.sounds like calabria has the last laugh.
Old    xtremrider            02-28-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
Yea the Calabria Dealer was out of hand, which is terrible because it is a great company with great inovators. THe top guys are nome of the nicesest in the Business. I grew up around Mike Murfey and those guy. Plus I dont feel the Calabria is a bad boad, i Rode behind one for the first time last year and loved it, it was my first choise until i got this awsome deal on my Supreme. The wake was sharp and firm, great for a stable take off and big air.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-28-2003, 5:37 PM Reply   
Barry,

If you do some research, you'll discover that properly designed bonded joints are so much more efficient and stronger than fastened joints. People always rag on Malibu for being assembled with adhesive, but I just laugh when I hear that. The adhesive is orders of magnitude stronger than the parent fiberglass material.

Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-01-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
Dave, wouldn't that depend on your definition of strength? Are you referring to shear, tensile, fatigue or what? Certainly you don't mean to put forth that strength is the only property by which an adhesive should be judged. What about reactivity, or resistance to solubility? Wouldn't a primary bond using the proper adhesives be more appropriate than the secondary bonding techniques employed by Malibu… regardless of the adhesives used? And exactly how many orders of magnitude is that? Wouldn't you need to know exactly what the parent material was before you made such a broad statement? I'm no "rocket scientist" so I was just wondering...
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-01-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
You're right. That's why I said it had to be a properly designed joint, as well as the workmanship has to be good. I'm assuming that Malibu is using the proper adhesive for their particular application, since that is their specialty (they are in the "top three"). I guess I don't know what you mean by secondary bonding techniques by Malibu. As far as orders of magnitude, when a properly designed and properly bonded joint is tested, the substrate material (it would be the fiberglass in this case) always fails first. However, when an improperly designed joint or a bonded joint with poor surface preparation is pull tested, it can fail adhesively (the adhesive pulls away from the substrate, the worst) or cohesively (the glue sticks to the substrate, but not to itself- better, but still not as good as when the substrate fails, usually a sign of poor surface preparation).
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-01-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
Oops, I realized after I posted that there was an error. The poor surface preparation is when it fails adhesively.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-01-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
David
Malibu is in the top three for selling not construction.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    skippyh2o            03-06-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
sounds like, to me, the calabria boys dont have faith in they're product.
Ski supreme---
Sumner washington