Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-25-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
i used to have this simple trick a year or two ago, but have lost it.
i just cant get the twist or the grab anymore (all my other grabs are still fine)
needing to start over on this one.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
handle, eyes, edge type, pop type, body movements, etc etc

many thanks
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-25-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Trick is much easier the bigger you go. I take a big cut and really focus on maxing my pop off the top. Grab then poke.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Shift then grab. If you try to shift to early, you usually go off axis. Take it all the way up, then shift, and grab.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-25-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
what should i do with the handle to get the shift? should i look where im going/landing? or where i came from(to help twist that way)
i remember when i could do them coming in really hot seemed to help. i assume this is because it caused me to flatten out at the wake (usually bad) and the less line tension allowed me to get the shift, and then grab?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
It's a load and release trick for me, stand real hard at the wake, drop the back hand and let it drift, grab look back-sometimes and poke. Sounds like you're either not getting the pop or you're just being lazy about the grab
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-26-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Are you talking TS indy shifty...HS BS indy shifty...? For me each is different.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
After you pop, rotate the handle around your front hip to your back and look over your rear shoulder. if you don't look, it will be hard to spin.

You can start by keeping both hands on the handle and add the grab later
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-27-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
HS sorry.
thanks jarrod. thats the problem i seem to be having. is proper cut in setup and getting the shift. the few times i do get a little bit of shift/twist i seemed to get pulled forward hard. so obviously im going about the twist wrong.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-27-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
First off we mee to get a word out of your vocablulary. TWIST. There is no TWISTING in an INDY SHIFTY. You are Shifting your body, if you are twisting your body your motion is totally wrong.

J-Rod Nailed it with the description. Its all about handle control in this trick. I attached a pic to this post, its a roast beef, but you get the idea. Keep the Hanle in close dont let your arm out past a 90 at the elbow.

Notice that my body is Shifted NOT twisted.
Attached Images

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-27-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
good point on shoulders and hips being paralell, ie not twisting at the waste. so pull the handle to my back like a BS180 after i pop?
ill try the look back too. that may help. ive tried it a few times, but fully over rear shoulder as suggested, i was kinda looking where you would on a normal TS jump.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-27-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
I think I might do this trick differently as I keep my lead arm pretty straight but kept low below my butt. The way I do this is to come in on a strong edge and at the top really stand tall off my back leg while starting to shift the handle towards my back pocket. From there its just get the grab, give 'er a poke and transition the handle back in front of me.

I don't think you want to pull the handle at all until you want to get the board under you for landing. If you pull the handle like a BS 180, you could end up with slack and not be able to get the board headed the right direction.

Sorry to keep rambling about this trick, I just happen to really enjoy a good indy poke.
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-28-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
I think I might do this trick differently as I keep my lead arm pretty straight but kept low below my butt.
I see a lot of people do this. I think if you keep the rope in tight you will better off in the long run, especially if you want to take the trick to switch. When you go to take it switch, if your arm is out your will pop the handle when you go to pass it in front of your body.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
thats very helpful. i like the little tidbits of help like the rear leg strong pop. in the past ive found that one little thing someone says can make or break a trick. thats the kind of specific tips i was looking for. headed out on a wake road trip today so ill try all of these!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-28-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/ama...ur-colin-ryan/

this is a video of my Homie Colin Ryan, if you look at the 1:27 mark he does a indy shifty to fs 180. The rope is in tight and very controlled.
Old     (brandon_lee)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-28-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hey Cory,

I read through all of the posts and while several people have mentioned some good tips, I'm going to disagree with some of the information presented.
I'm siding with Stephan here in feeling like this trick is easier the bigger you take it. A good wide, hard edge and a solid pop off your tail should be your first focus. I don't like using a progressive edge on this trick unless I'm going to let it drift behind me. Keep the cut a little more consistent and it will keep your axis vertical and on balance.

Now, there are several ways to skin a cat and some of the explanations above might work for some people, but in my opinion you absolutely should be twisting at your waist for this trick. If you don't twist at your waist, then it's going to take a lot more effort to make your board go backside, and then bring it back.
The body position of an indy shifty is almost exactly like the body position in doing a backside lipslide.

Try this: Go do some backside lipslides or frontside boardslides on the lip of the wake next time you're out. Really try to get that board perpendicular to the boat or further. That position is the position you should ideally be in when doing an indy shifty. To execute it correctly, you should move your handle over by your front butt cheek and have it really low. Your legs and hips should be twisted backside. Try to keep it close, but it doesn’t have to be so close it’s touching your body.

Your upper body shouldn't be doing as much as your lower body. I recommend looking in the direction you came from instead of either toward the boat or away from the boat. Looking where you came form will keep your shoulders in the best position (parallel with the direction of the boat). Do this drill several times as it will get your body comfortable moving into that position and help with the muscle memory.

Once you’re comfortable getting into that position, I would say it’s time to take it to the air. After you take your wide, hard, but fairly even cut and shove your back foot into the wake to get as much height is possible, think “frontside board slide” with your body. Almost everything I talked about with body position earlier is going to be the same once you get in the air, with the exception of this: In the air, you will want to bend over at the waist (to get the grab) and suck your back leg up (to help get the grab and to make this trick look good). While you suck your back leg up, you should be getting the grab about now and once you get a hold of your board, that’s when you lock your front knee to get a solid poke.

After that, the rest is pretty self explanatory. Hold the trick as long as you can, let go and bring those hips back around and get your legs extended and ready for impact.

Note* taking the indy shifty to a backside 180 does require less twisting and more rotating, but that’s another story.

Here is a picture of how I do an indy-shifty:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Another for better perspective:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Last edited by brandon_lee; 07-28-2012 at 6:57 PM. Reason: Picture wouldn't upload
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-31-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
wow awesome post. i need help like that on my HS FS 3
HUGE thanks for the write up!