Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'm working on a couple video projects. Specifically, I'm working on posting quality video to the net while maintaining relatively small file sizes. Here is my test project. It's a work in progress but still fairly entertaining. There are few really good crashes and a ton of really lame crashes. Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think of the video quality and the speed your able to access the video.

Disclaimer - yeah I know the artistic value isn't all that great... again, work in progress.

Notes: video was shot in mini DV by numerous different camera holders; hence, some video is shakey. When I captured the video I captured it in 4:3 format; therefor, I have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen - lesson learned. I'm sure I can reduce the video file size even further by getting rid of the black bars. If I reduce the video size then I can increase the quality and maintain a similar file size.

We have new cameras for next year... HD from now on, but for this project I'm stuck with mini DV.

Editor is premiere elements 3. Will be using Final Cut Pro to edit future HD Video.

Anyway, here is the link...
http://www.liquidglassmedia.com/wake/wakemain.htm
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
weird x-mo transitions are lame. Try and learn how to fade in and out, you can make it look pretty seamless as opposed to a bunch of clips with lame transitions.

On a happy note, the crash of the front roll almost halfway through has made my day. That guy eats it so hard!
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
I was experimenting with transistions in this clip. There are a lot I like and a lot I dislike. I agree that the shaped and push transistions are farily bad for wake vids. I primarily use dissolve transitions.

That front roll to face plant is me and it hurt like hell.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
steer clear of fancy wipe and dissolve transitions. don't overuse cross dissolve.

yeah, that froll crash made me jump outta my seat!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-14-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Dude great compelation. Some of those crashes looked like they freaking hurt. I can't wait for summer. I don't know what it is but watching knee borders makes me angry
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-14-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
Nice work! Don't you hate it when you're trying to make a video and someone has shot really shaky footage? The video ran smoothly for me.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-14-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Any video compelation is rad. I give you much props
Old     (yeldarb)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Very nice, makes me wish it was summer

Most of the falls I saw were the result of going early.. glad I'm not the only one with that problem
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-14-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
Dude great job. It just reminds me that I wish Summer was here.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-14-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting the vid, really makes me wish that summer was here.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-14-2007, 11:59 PM Reply   
Nice vid...thanks for posting - cant wait to get back out there and start getting worked again.
Old     (scottyr7)      Join Date: May 2006       02-15-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
That almost makes me miss face plants....One more month!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-15-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
I use final Cut and Adobe Premier Pro. I actually prefer Adobe. Its a little more user friendly. Not a bad video, keep it up. I actually bought both of these books they really helped me figure out smooth transitions.

Upload
Upload
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input.

I will be using Final Cut Pro because it is more compatible with the HD format I will be using (1080p DVCPro HD). If I can get a student price for Adobe Premiere I might purchase that as well.

Now that I have played with an editor for a bit I realize how important it is to have a good camera operator. At the least, instruct people how to use the camera properly to get good usable footage. A lot of the clips end as soon as the crash occurs, which makes it difficult to add a smooth transition.

I have been playing with that clip a bit to test different screen effects and transistions. The zoom effect I use early in the video blurs the image a tad. Most don't notice it until I point it out. Also, I have been elimiating different transitions. I have an updated version (I'll eventually post it) that I use nearly all addititve dissolve, and dissolve to black transitions. It flows a little better. I noticed a couple of the different dissolve transitions, specifically cross dissolve, produced a pixilated look; therefor, I replaced those transitions with something different. Also, I eliminated all shaped and push transitions. On a side note, I do like some of the push and 3d transisions for other types of video they just don't work well in a wakeboard video.

For the video quality. I'll be sticking with the FLV format. It is very nice for web video. Depending on the length of the clip I may increase the video quality a bit. Short clips get high quality, longer clips get less quality.

So far no one has reported problems playing the video so compatibility has been a non-issue.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-15-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Nice video, but the music on the second half was just unbearable. The worst line went something like this:

"...Like Johnny Cash walked the line..."

After that, my brain shut off. forever.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Daniel - I feel you on the knee board comment. We have one guy who likes the kneeboard. He only comes with us once or twice a year. Anyway, he had some decent crashes so I threw them in there. It was his first time behind an Xstar on the kneeboard and he still charged the wake - and paid for it dearly.

Brad - I go in spouts of leaving the wake too early on my tantrum. Somedays i'm perfect and somedays I go too early - it's all mental.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Garret - that song is perfect for our crew because were all getting older... Older being upper 20s low 30s.

Anyway, your right the Johnny Cash line is pretty bad... but I like the song anyway.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-15-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
one.. the moby dicks were real close and looked cool even as crashes.

two.. agree with the ts front roll comment. ahooch

three.. i dont like kneeboarders

great vid

the one kneeboard shot from the dock. like a side angle was good. mixing up angles will keep even old tricks looking fresh.

i have a question for everybody though. how does everybody do lens flares or flashes. i just use the brightness and contrast effect on premier. anything AVE does like pull and stuff have a bunch of flashes and they really add to transitions. I would like to know how to do them with different colors intstead of white. like a yellow or purple or something. thanks

great wrecks root! quite exciting
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-15-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
I don't like watching knee boarders land, but I do like watching them fall. I'd keep a few of the more gnarly falls in there.
Old     (truk)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
I was in the boat watching the kneeboarder. I am not a kneeboarding fan. Usually I would say that kneeboarders are a waste of gas and space on the lake. But I have to admit, I wouldn't charge an X-Star wake like the he did in the video. He is crazy!!