Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
I have just about finished building my own fiberglass swim platform and have ordered the gator grip for it.

All the good things posted has me excited to get it and see what it looks like installed.

Will keep you informed..

Kelly (weskel)

Will also post picks of my built project once completed.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-28-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
I'm a huge fan of gator grip. I thought about putting it on the platform but wasn't sure if it would get torn up.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-28-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
Did you order the grip yet? Check out www.wakejunky.com Gator grip for cheap!! I just put some on my boat also. Good
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
Keith,

I pulled a couple of your pics you posted and put them on my web page. Hope that is okay with you. I'm always looking for pics.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-29-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
Yeah, I ordered it from WakeJunky good prices and really cool looking...

Did I read somewhere it was about a 1/4 inch thick?

Kelly
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-29-2007, 5:41 AM Reply   
That sounds about right. We put it on the back of our crownline. I just need to do some better cutting & clean it up a bit.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-29-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
yah sure man, that's cool!! I can give you more after the weekend when it looks better on the water.

:-)
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-29-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Hijack thread - Hey Chris, you want me to send you the original pics. They are larger with more pixels (a better looking pic) for your site. Apologies bro, I have been buying gator grip from you since I've lived in Hawaii and never gave you any pics for your site.
End Hijack-

I'll take some sweet shots this weekend for gator grip fans.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-29-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
Put Gator Grip on my platform the beginning of last summer. Works great! Still looks like new and I get alot of compliments. Especially when people stand on it barefooted. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-29-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Is this stuff grip tape or foam or what?
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-29-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
I just ordered some myself. Should be in next week.

How do you get a even cut?
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-29-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
I am assuming you would cut from the back side where it would be smooth.

Kinda like cutting asphalt shingles for a roof, hard to cut from the front, but cuts like butter from the back..
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Use a ruler and cut it from the back side.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-29-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
I have cut a lot of this up for my boat and cut it with a razor blade (utility knife). I have a very long level that I use to guide the razor blade down a straight path (after making sure my measurements are correct). I don't cut it from the back because I want to make sure the knife cuts thru the bumps in the gator grip.

It's very easy to work with and everyone compliments on it.

Wakeman, it's not harsh like griptape, etc.. It's soft, but still very grippy.
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
I didn't have a prob cutting from the back...but I did use cutters. Here is a pic or two of mine. Upload
Upload
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-29-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Installed GG last season. Great stuff.

Upload
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have cut mine by holding the razor knife at an angle while following a piece of plywood lined up with the cut line drawn with marker. You can get a great beveled look that won't get scraped or curl up.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-30-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
gator grip on the floor? Has anyone done this? I am thinking of doing it but not sure how it would look.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Nick, i think there is a picture of a boat on there website of a boat with it in the floor.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
I'm putting it on the floor of my rear ski locker. I ripped out the carpet because it always gets wet and moldy.
Old     (jbugai)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Talk about great customer service. They went out of the way for me and this stuff is great.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Received mine on Saturday, Now that is Service....

I will be ready to install it in a week or two, still finishing up the platform.

Awesome looking and feel.

Thanks WakeJunky

Kelly
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-03-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Does the stuff hold up well on the swim platform? If not, where do u get the rubber stuff to apply to platform? Having my new platform glassed and painted and need a covering for the top side.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-03-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
how dark blue is the white/blue. it would be going on the back of my boat on a dark navy section.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-03-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
Wakeriders, the white/blue is not very dark, I was going to order it and wakejunky told me after time it fades to purple.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2007, 5:30 AM Reply   
Actually, it doesn't fade to purple it starts out more on the purple side and turns dark blue when wet. I always recommend samples specifically for that color. It's a hard match.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (chadly22)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Does that black grip get very hot to the touch?
I thinking of ordering some for flooring in the bow and for the platform. I would like all black but maybe that's not a good idea.
Old    ausbill32            04-05-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I was thinking about doing this on my swim platform too but I was also wondering if the black would get too hot or how fast it's going to fade. It sure looks comfy on the feet.
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
It is very comfy! The black wont be any hotter than the black rubber that is normally on a swim deck.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
The black doesn't really get hot at all. I think it's because it's not a solid surface so the heat escapes sideways?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
How does it do with swim platforms? Does it hold up well?

Changing the subject: How often should you change out the black rubber (br) on the swim platform. My br is slowly shrinking because of the sun. Any suggestions or comments?
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-06-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
When you guy's have cut gator grip for swimplatforms and other ares with alot of shapes, did you make plywood templates first to use as a guide???
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-07-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
We all seem to have the same questions about the swim platforms. Fade, durability??? Hopefully someone will give us replies. As far as the template, thick cardboard works best.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
I used posterboard because I had some laying around & already threw away my boxes. As for hot, I don't recall it getting too hot, definitely not like the seats do.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
I've sold to a lot of people who have used it on their swimplatforms for a few years now. I don't have any personal insight on Gator Grip's durability and longevity under those conditions.
Ideally, somebody who has done this could report their experience.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-08-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
as for people that have questions about the platform....I don't have it completely laid out all over the platform. However, I just have a strip along the back ridge of it. That being said, if you look really close in one of my pictures in this thread, you will notice that the "white" has begun to come off. Doesn't mean that this stuff still no longer works anymore.

I would just say if you are going to get a color for the platform, make sure its all one color (black or grey). It doesn't help that i'm in Arizona and have this boat out in a 116 degrees and water temp sometimes gets to 90-93 at the hottest days. :-)

As far as getting hot, the gator grip on the top of the boat that gets the most sun of all (probably) and barely gets wet, is never hot.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-10-2018, 9:06 AM Reply   
I know this is a VERY VERY VERY OLD thread..But does Wakejunky still exist? can he or others get ahold of this Grip still?