Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (akajimster)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
I've been getting the infamous warning light & sound on my boat more frequently above the 1,200 RPM range. Not sure what it could be. I've read it is either heat related, bad sensor or low fluid level. Any ideas?? I plan on changing the fluid this week and I've read Dexron III and also read SAE 30. Not sure which is correct. It's a 2000 Ski Supreme V210 with a 350 MPI Mercruiser.

Thanks in advance
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
If im not mistaken Dexron III is for the transmission and SAE 30 is for the V-drive. ID call a local dealer and ask a service guy just to make sure. Good luck.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
The Walters v-drive uses SAE30 HD. Dextron III is in the Borg Warner or Zenith Hurth transmisson. The sensor is an oil pressure switch not a temperature switch. Either oil level or oil pump in the v-drive is the problem.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-05-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
I was getting that problem with my walters v-drive in my 2001 ski supreme and it was not the switch or the pump it was a leaky oil line on the input side of the pump.

It leaked air in and the pump was sucking air instead of oil. It works great now and it only cost me 25 bucks for a new hose.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-05-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
call the guys at walters they were really helpful for me.
Old     (akajimster)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Thanks to all three of you for the responses and feedback. That clears up why I've read both Dex and SAE30. horn - I haven't noticed any leaks at all. Then eng compartment and the entire are around the V-drive is not the slightest bit oily. Where exactly is the oil line? I assume your talking about the pump where the cold water intake goes in and out?
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-08-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
I'm not talking about the water hoses.

On my v-drive there is the raw water hoses that pass through the v drive and two oil circulating lines on either side of the v-drive. They circulate the oil through the raw water to cool the oil. If the one that is before the pump (I don't remember which but I'll take a look at my boat tonight) is leaking then air will get sucked into the hose and stall out the circulating pump. That will cause a loss of oil pressure and the red light will stay on.

You might not see much oil because it would only leak when the tranny is not engaged and there is no oil pressure. It doesn't have to leak much at all (one drop of oil leaking out with no pressure can mean a ton of air leaking in with pressure) wipe the hoses with a clean rag and see if you pick up any oil on them.
We might not have the same system so call up Walter http://www.waltergear.com/ and ask them what they think.

If you take a picture of your v-drive I can give you a better description of what I mean.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
How do you troubleshoot the problem? I get the light, but i think it might be the sensor, I'm not sure...