Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2011, 3:42 PM Reply   
Ever since I got these tower speakers, they have been giving me a headache.
They are the Liquid Audio double cans with Polk 651UM's.
So I've tried different amps, different wire, different hooks up's from the head unit, and nothing helps.
Problem is, when I turn the volume up, the cans start to distort, but all my other speakers sound fine, and can go a lot louder(tried it without the towers hooked up).
If you don't remember from my other post, I'm powering the tower cans with a Rockford P500-2.

So, I go down to a local shop, and explain the issue, and the guy says it's because there isn't enough air space in the can.
Does this make sense to you, or is this guy blowing smoke?

Thanks,
Jordan
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
Well, I just went out and pulled one of the speakers out and tried it that way and it does the same thing.
This is really irritating.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-28-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Do you have an EQ on your system (Wet sounds WS-420 or similar)?
If so you can fine tune your towers and in boat speakers separately as well as run different volumes.
I just put one on my system and it was the best $ I have spent on my system... very cool!
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
No I don't, but I may have found the problem. I'm an idiot. I've been tuning with the same song. Well it just happens that the song has an overload of bass. I decided to try some other songs, and they are fine. Looks like it may have just been operator error....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
Don't you have the crossover on your tower amp set to high pass so the bass doesn't even go to those speakers? If you don't you should.
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
Yes. Filter is set to high pass.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-29-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
Jordan,
Those are infinite baffle speakers, designed for the expansive displacement of gunnel cavities. They must be in some form of enclosure for isolation but need alot of air space as compared to the tiny pods in which they are placed now. As a result they are not going to play low frequencies past a certain point that will be above 100 Hz. So, make sure the highpass crossover setting is high enough that the speakers are not trying to reproduce anything below their capabilities.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ok. Thanks, I've got the x-over set to about 150Hz.