Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-07-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
So I am thinking about upgrading my boat this year… Yes, another stupid thread about boat upgrades. If I don’t mention the boat below, please leave it out of the discussion as these are the only ones I have narrowed it down to and simply want opinions for the boats I list.

Price is important to me, and I am trying to keep it right at 60k, really cannot go higher. Also, it will likely have to be a new boat to make it work. Warranty is important, bling is cool, but not mandatory, wake (surf wake too) is really important.

First is a list of “want to change” or things I don’t love about my Mobius LSV. First off, the wake is pretty damn good, but to get it where I really like it I had to sack it out. The problem with that is to get it balanced properly, is you gotta have sacs laying in the bow exposed. I really want all the ballast to be hidden and off the seats and walkways (except surfing, don’t care as much). Power… pretty simple really, when you go from 1200lbs to 2850 you need to upgrade the prop or motor or both. With stock ballast, it is great, but it needs a better prop to sac it out. Exhaust… after a day of surfing and wakeboarding, I am tired of fumes and I generally get a headache at night after a day behind the boat.

So the first two boats I am looking at is a 08 Supra 22SSV, or a 07 Supra 24SSV GG (new left over). They both will have the 340hp EXT CAT engine (fixes exhaust problem). They both will have the wakeboard prop (fixes power problem). They both will have the playpen bow (fixes exposed ballast problem). They both have the Z5 cargo rack, swivel board racks, PP, heater, etc. Pretty much loaded.

Normally I would rather have the 24 hands down, but it will be tougher to store, eat more gas, and I hear they don’t handle as well. I have driven a Sunsport 24V loaded down and it is pig to drive, but the wake was killer (made it worth it). Is the 22SSV really much better to drive, are the wakes pretty close? As far as my storage, my dad has a barn on his property and the bay I park my boat in is 10’W x30’L x 8’H so there is not a ton of room width wise. I could always add on to the side of the barn if I need to for a bigger parking spot, but don’t need to if it will fit as is. Are the trailers the same width?

The third boat I am looking at is a 07 Epic 23V. I really love having all the ballast under the floor and still having all those compartments for storage. The dual rudder system seems pretty cool to me. The sounds setup is pretty cool as well. I like that you really don’t see them anywhere, and I love the way it looks. Some of the things that bother me about it are the seating, not quite as good as the Supra (just my opinion) as I like the playpen bow. I would not get the Z5 bimini with it (want it). And the warranty is not as good as the Supra. And I cannot get the EXT CAT engine (could get FAE though). The Epic dealer down here is trying to see if he can get me a new 07 since the 08’s are 72k and the 07 is about 60k. If I can’t do a 07, it is just not gonna happen.

So basically, it is between the 08 22SSV, the 07 24SSV GG, or the Epic 23V (pushing it on the price, so not likely). Is there anything I am missing about these 3 boats that I should know?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-07-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
...cant help with the boats.....but if your getting a headache behind your boat...your getting the first stage of carbon monoxide poisoning......for sure not a good thing....if the wind is blowing right one day and all the right factors come together you may just pass out one day...and maybe worse. Anyways not to scare you but the headache thing is a red flag and you should not get that .
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-07-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
^^^Agreed, which is why the CAT engine is important to me.
Old     (lunchbox)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-07-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Get a Fresh Air Exhaust kit and it will take care of the headaches... Best upgrade I've done to my boat hands down...
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2008, 2:47 AM Reply   
Doesn't the Epic comes with side exhausts?

Remember that a CAT doesn't eliminate all fumes, it just reduce them...
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-08-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I have found a huge diff with the cat for surfing. I will never own a boat without it!

The playpen seating in in 22SSV, 24SSV and the Moomba XLV is your answer to sacking out a boat without steping on any bags.

Order the 1150 bag for the left rear side. It is very long and slides under the seats on all 3 boats above. It might not fill all the way but it make a huge difference. Some of my friends use that bag all the way around.

Make sure to get the $95 upgrade wakeboard prop
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
The wakeboard prop will be mandatory, I don't care about top speed but it takes forever to get on plane when you put close to 3k lbs of water in it with the stock prop.

Side exhaust is fine and all, but not a real solution. With the cats, I realize it does not take away all the poisonous gases, but it helps a ton and helps the environment. I am no tree hugger, but if I can help out, I will.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-09-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
While we appreciate what Epic started out trying to do many years ago, but 1) it changed from an affordable boat to just another expensive boat and 2) they fell short not in the quality of the product, but on the business end. From a VERY reliable source (who has experience behind an epic), i would no longer consider an epic...ever. Go with the supra, at least you know they'll still be around in a couple years.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Nick, run your boat on propane. Then you don't need a cat and it MUCH better for the environment.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-11-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Propane is not really an option, I don't want to have to make any changes.

Here is the hard part. Right now, I can get the Epic for about the same payment as the 24SSV. They are close enough for the money to not be the deciding factor. So I need to hear from ANYONE who has ridden behind an Epic, and preferably has also been behind a 24SSV. How do they compare? I love the wake on the 24, but have not been behind an Epic.

The Supra has a much better warranty, it is bigger (we always have a big crew between family and friends) but will not have all the storage of the epic if the ballast is full. It does have the EXT CAT engine which is something I really want though, as well as the Z5 bimini.

I am not sure about the resale value of the Epic though, I cannot really find any used ones for sale to base it off of except for the few pre-production boats I have seen for sale. I really need to make my decision ASAP, but I am torn and don't know which one I want more. FWIW, the wife wants the Supra over the Epic, but she does not ride so it is merely a suggestion.

I really need more info people, if you have ridden behind an Epic, let me hear from you!!!!!
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Nick, I just traded my 24 for the 22 and love it. In my opinion, the 22 drives much better, handles and responds much better and so far seems to save gas. I like the wake on the 22 more then my 24, it is easier to shape and change then the 24 was with less weight. I rode on the Epic last boat hop and was impressed, but they are very different. You would have to decide what works better for you. You are welcome to hit me up for a pull behind my boat around March, after I rehab from my surgeries.
Old     (nautique25)      Join Date: May 2005       02-11-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
i rode behind an epic and loved it. its a sick wake and the boat is gorgeous. it is smooth and it doesnt plow through the water.it gets up and goes. its definitely worth your time to check it out before you buy anything. you wont be dissapointed. j