Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-26-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
Alright I am somewhat experienced boarder but my wife and I would like to also get into some wakesurfing, just plain looks fun!!

Since we arent located around other boarders here locally I need to rely on you guys for help...

advice on boards, etc...

Thanx guys.....
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-26-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
sorry forgot, 5'9 185lbs
Old    surfdad            02-27-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
It certainly is a great time. Let me ask a few more questions which will help us all give you some better recommendations.

Is the cost of the board a MAJOR consideration?

Is storage of the board in a standard rack a MAJOR consideration?

Do you intend to use the board to teach other folks and just want one board?

Your wife, she is lighter and smaller than you, presumably?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-27-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Yes cost is a factoe, doesn't have to be the lastest and greatest since sliced bread...

would like to be able to, IF possible.. (not major)

yes, just one board..

Yes she is smaller and lighter (5'6 150lb), shhhh
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
We have been successful with teaching multiple people on the Hyperlite Broadcast. As you get better you can move on to a more advanced board.
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
You could just buy a cheap used surf board on ebay or borrow a board. You may even get your local shop to let you demo a board.

I learned to wakesurf on a trashed short ocean board. It was a twin fin with one of the fins broken but that was all it took to get me hooked on it. Seriously the board was trash but I surfed it! I think my friend got it on ebay for like $25 bucks but the fin was not broken at the time.

Good Luck!
Old    surfdad            02-27-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Certainly I'd do as John recommends and check ebay or craigslist for a used board...I'd throw some traction on a beater and you can probably pick up a bargain.

If you'd rather have a new board, based upon the cost criteria, I wouldn't rule out the Trick Boardz Velocity. Around $250 and Larry is pretty good, if you don't like it, he'll take it back. Plus he's great to work with. The board selector on his site will help you select the right size board for your typical wake and size.

I'm NOT a fan of Hyperlite and I'll be honest, they don't support the sport AT ALL. Their boards are almost ubiqutous though and you certainly can learn on them. The 5'6" is probably the better choice. Last time I checked they were in the $300 range.

Both the Trick Boardz and Hyperlite will store in a standard wakeboard rack.

The Trick Boardz is cheaper, easier to store, has better customer service and the folks at Trick Boardz support the sport of Wakesurfing, so that would be my recommendation.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-27-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
I just wanted to say that Kenny has the coolest profile pic ever. WOW.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-27-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
any hyperlite in aa normal board rack? I'm not inot the hey I can afford the ----, but rather I just look to have a good time, I can't give up w-boarding but in the afternoon when the water gets choppy for awhile I see no reason to stop the fun.

Thanx Sean...

just curious do surfers stay to this side of the site and w-boarders the other? honestly I think I have only ventured over here a few times..
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-27-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
Kenny,

I have a few boards, my first was a HL Broadcast 5.6. That's been a good starter board for myself and many folks that I've taken wakesurfing for their first time. The Broadcast fits in my board racks just fine.

I have several Trick Boardz and I’m a big fan of these boards. I have to agree with Jeff, Trick Board offers great support, at one time, they were offering 30 days satisfaction or your money back, probably still do. They are also working on changing there product line from laminate wood to glass, I can’t wait to see that.

If you could get your hands on a used Inland Surfer Blue, that would be a great starter board. Many surfers that I’ve ridden with really do well on the Blue.

Jeff, isn’t the Phase 5 pretty reasonable?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-27-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
do any other boards fit in the board racks?
Old    surfdad            02-28-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
Hey Ed, the Phase 5 is fairly reasonable, but is around $340, the last time I checked. For just playing around, I would think that $300 is the cutoff - but that is my preference.

There are quite a few boards that fit in a standard wakeboard rack. All the Phase 5's, the Inland Surfer 4skim - I've struggled getting the other offerings from Inland into my rack - so a slightly wider gap in the fingers might make ALL of the Inland products fit a specific rack. The Walzer in 3/4" thickness. I do beieve that all of the molded boards (CWB, LF, HL) will slide into a standard rack. I've seen the new Composite X prototypes from the Walker Project and they will fit. When available, the 5'0" might be a good choice also.

The highlight of my wakeboarding career was a half cab both toeside and heelside...I about killed myself in one of the 8.7 bazillion times I tried doing a heelside frontside 360 and so, I'm not a big fan of wakeboarding any more :-) We literally almost never wakeboard any longer. So I almost never venture over to the wakeboarding forums, unless it's on a general subject area like the change in Boardstock.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
guess I don't have to keep wondering who called wakesurfing gay
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-28-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'll never forget it
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
"we think your sport is gay but that doesn't mean we aren't going to try and take your money since the stigma attached to our brand name enables us to successfully market a board without the need for R&D." -now that's gay
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Where did you pull that quote from?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
I made it up. Nothing more than a hypothetical conversation that went on in my head. (but I'm guessing it's not too far from reality)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Oh, I get it.