Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (havasugirl)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-21-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
Ok, I've been riding for about 1 month now and it seems like I can't get enough....its like any sport with that "newbie high'.
But, how long does that last? How long have most of you been riding & does it still do it for you years later?
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-21-2011, 10:38 PM Reply   
It never ends.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-21-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
I'm going on hmmm 14 years I think... I've had some down moments and there's the occasional time I've taken a short break but for the most part... I just can't get enough!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-22-2011, 4:37 AM Reply   
I get pumped every time. Enjoy that.
Old     (supragirl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-22-2011, 5:05 AM Reply   
I just started riding this year and I'm definitely with you. I can't seem to get enough and I want to just continue to try and do more. My husband and kids just started riding too and we all absolutely love it. I don't know how long it will last but I feel like I'll be with J Bob and years later still be saying I love it! Hope you continue to keep that "high" going!!
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-22-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
On my 15th year, it hasn't gotten old.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-22-2011, 6:02 AM Reply   
So as I lay there last night, sleeplessly anticipating Saturday am thinking about some tips I read on Wakeworld I thought about just this topic. I have been riding on and off since 1998. I am 44 now and I am pretty much terrible for the amount of time I have been riding. I go w2w heel and toe and some surface tricks and a few grabs, but that is about it. I will probably never have any kind of bag of tricks, but I still get excited every time out.

Now in that time I did take a 5 to 6 year hiatus, still going a couple of times per year with friends, but two years ago we decided to buy a boat again and I looked at runabouts, deck boats, pontoons, but just couldn’t get the wakeboard boat out of my head, so I ended up buying 2003 vlx. Figured wakeboarding was the only real thing I liked to do, so might as well have a boat made for it, so I got back into it. Now my wife is learning(she always just watched before …if she even came along) My two kids are boarding now we are starting to figure out this surfing thing too which has added another element. I have spent the last two years unlearning bad habits and learning the right way to do things so I feel like I am progressing and best of all we are still having a blast.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
I've been riding for about 10 months, which is a really short amount of time, and I find that the better I get at wakeboarding, the more I love it! I'm starting to take my wakeboarding pretty seriously now and that's a bit of a shame because I find myself getting frustrated and upset when things aren't going my way. I would say that wakeboarding will always be just as fun as it is for a 1-month newbie unless you start to get too competitive about it. I'm still trying to figure out the perfect balance so that I can keep progressing without getting too caught up.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-22-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have been skiing since I was 4. I am 30 now and I can't imagine not being able to ride.I still ride at least 2-3 days a week normally from Easter till mid Oct. which is a good amount a time for Central Oregon. Still remember the day I got my first Skurfer.(Ya that makes you feel old). I still like getting out there and pushing myself to progress every time I strap on my board.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-22-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
YES. Every new trick, every new person you ride in front of, every new boat you ride behind, every single comp, every new video you see, every new obstacle you hit there's so much new in this sport that its hard to not get pumped each time you hit the water
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Riding itself is always exciting and that stoke never ends. However, as I am in the sport longer and longer each year, I lose the "boardshop" stoke I used to get when talking "wake" with other people. Just like anything as I see more stuff year in, year out, I kind of become numb to the "newbie stoke"...especially if you have seen it a lot...more just relaxed and slower paced about it I guess. Then when someone hits a new trick or rides well/learns to ride you get pumped again...but the initial stoke does fade a bit (for me at least).
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-23-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
On the Died (Do it every day) scale, I am at a 2 or a 3, I use to be at a 6, I could ride everyday for six days, then on the seventh day I would not be that interested in or I couldn't physically do it any more(died). Most people are a 0, one guy that wakeboards wanted to go to the beach instead of wakeboarding! Still am stoked though, everytime I go out I try to hit or improve on something, just hit a switch wrapped toeside backside one wake 180, and that felt better than going wake to wake for the first time.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-23-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
3rd year and it is literally the only thing I think about. I actually lose sleep most nights because I can't get visions of wakes and boats out of my head. Still pretty new to it at 3 years, but I don't see my infatuation slowing down anytime soon.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-23-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Lol, I think about wakeboarding trick every night before I fall asleep. My buddy actually rolls around and does handle passes and whatnot in his sleep. It's hilarious!
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-23-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
The night before I pretty much wake up every hour on the hour. Today I ripped a dime size callus off my hand, bled all over the place for a bit and still had a blast.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
I've owned a boat since 1989 and done some form of watersport ever since.Age has slowed me down some but wakeboarding is ageless.Ithink i'll still be wakeboarding 20 years from now.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-23-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have been boarding since like april and i cant get enough. my g/f will tell you about it.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-23-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
I could be having the worst day of my life... and it all changes as soon as i strap on... even if i have a bad set.... There is one trick in every set that make the set rad! the day i stop having fun is the day i find a new sport.... VERY doubtful thats going to happen
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
I'm always excited to ride......it's my passion to wakeboard. I honestly can't get enough of it and I drive my b/f crazy with it! LOL
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-24-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
All I can say it that my family and I look foward to the weekend because everyone knows what we will be doing. The lake we ride on is about an hour away from our house. If we can get home in by 5:30 in the evenings we hook up and go. Sunsets across glass is one of the best views in the world in my opinion. We are currently on vacation at a lake with 500 miles of shoreline. My youngest girl got a board for her birthday. She has watched us enough to know what she is doing apparently because she got up on her first pull. After her set, the smile could not be scrubbed off with a brillo pad!! Good way to start a vacation!!!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-25-2011, 12:00 AM Reply   
34. Fully addicted.

Got an old boat 7 years ago (15.5ft trihull) got a costcowake board, liked wakeboarding.

Bout an I/O and some sacks, learned a Tantrum, loved wakeboarding.

In 2008 bought a Moomba XLV and have rode a lot and learned a lot of new tricks, fully addicted.

Went to Provincials and nationals last year, competed, did crappy, even more addicted.

I figured by this age I would have lost the thrill but I haven't. We went out tonight (wife, and a couple friends) and had an amzing sunset glass ride. Life doesn';t get much better then that. Especially in Canada.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-25-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Im kinda burned out on it at the moment after riding 4-5 days a week for the last 5 summers. But thats mostly to do with frustration from a lack of progression and having to save money. I still get out 1-2 days a week but thats about all. Golf is my new hobby for this summer
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-25-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
It never ends. Been riding for ~4 years, but I'd say the first year was super fun cause of the "newbie high." Just fun being on the water and carving around with friends. After that, it helps to progress every so often to keep the same high.

Just don't set your expectations too high every time youre out on the water. I think that's where most people fail in their progression, & ultimately get frustrated with wakeboarding. Ride the way that feels natural to your progression (dont just keep trying a trick over & over because you like it best). Eventually you'll pick up a little something here and there which will get you to the trick you wanted to learn (+ more). Learn it all as best as you can, and you'll never stop riding.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-25-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
9th year rider and the only thing that keeps me off the water- injuries. I remember when i was 16, I was out on a sunset ride on my jet ski and saw this boat pulling a rider and he just went huge with a little tweaked grab and i knew immediately that's what i wanted to do. Rode over and said hello to the guy, we hit it off and still ride together to this day. Even after 9 years of riding, a bunch of surgeries and countless money... I'm still an addict
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
been on the boat since i was a newborn(1983). ditched the kneeboard and skis at 11 yrs old. been ridin almost non stop since. Goin on my 18th year now
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-26-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
Wish I could answer this, I haven't strapped a board on in a year. I dislocated my knee last summer and that took me out. First outing this year and the block cracked in my boat, it's still in the shop. But hey, my knee is 100% now and ready.

All seriousness, I still enjoy wakeboarding a lot, or I did until my knee injury. I'm anxious to get back out there and see how it feels.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-26-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
I think I've been riding for around 8 or 9 years. I still suck but I still love to ride and hang out with my wake friends.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
12 years and just last week I had the best set I've ever had!