Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-06-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Alright,
this is a preference question to every rider who sees this post. Would you rather have:

a. a lighter board that breaks more easily
OR
b. a heavier board that is difficult to break?

the voting begiiiiiiiiins
NOW!
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-06-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Isn't that what warranty is for? If it breaks it is replaced. Who cares?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-06-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
All boards have suggested weight limits for a reason. Also, it has been posted by many people that all boards break. As long as you are taken care of, I dont see an issue as well.

(Message edited by Byrd on November 06, 2006)
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-06-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Lighter board because I can get it replaced under warrenty, also I don't ride hard enough to break a board.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
c. a light board that doesn't break.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-06-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Lighter board....and learn how to land with grace.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-06-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
D. Wind up breaking 'em both, so does it really matter?

BTW: 1-2lbs difference a board does not make. Flex pattern is what the young Jedi priority should be...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on November 06, 2006)
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-06-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
I agree with Tackle on the weight issue and J-Rod on the landings... I just wanted to see what people thought about board weights & strength. I was primarily hoping to get some ridiculous responses.

And John, a warranty is to cover against manufacturing defects, not against abuse... When you buy a car you don't expect the car company to replace the motor if you drive the car into the ground within the first year. Wakeboard MFGs are just nice and loose about their warranties.

NOW BACK TO THE POLLS!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
I agree with Tackle as well. The weight doesn't matter.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-06-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
Lighter board all the way.
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
Lighter board
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-06-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
Lighter board if you land right its hard to break a board. Darin told me a long time ago if you take off on your heal side edge land on your hs edge.

To me a board is just like a skate board if you land in the wrong spot on a skate board off the truck bolts the board is going to break.

Heck if the companies are going to replace them who cares. Let the lighter boards keep coming.
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-07-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
oh yeah squid... when you try a trick for the first time you always land right right?? I don't... but then again I dont complain when I brake a board... which I never did... I tend to blew up my knee before that happens... maybe it's easy for you in the states to get board replacement... but here in canada, you can wait a while to get a new board back... and to be able to do that, you have to buy a new board each year or break it in the same year... I don't...

(Message edited by tantrum20 on November 07, 2006)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Chillz Pillz Jonathan. Squid is exactly right. If you can't land on edge (or at least try), then you might want to think about taking a step or two back... Sounds like you need to get outta Canada, it's making you irritable.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
Jonathan, no I don't always land on my edge on a new trick but I try to think about it cause you will have a better chance of landing it. Just like I said if you hit a gap on a skate board and you land on the tail then elsnapo bye bye board. I am suprised they do replace broken boards. Other board sports don't.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
squid most skate decks without trucks/wheels cost 100 bucks or less and not much too them...

wakeboard decks cost over 300 some msrps near $600 this year so if mine breaks within a year of normal riding no matter what happens if it hits the water and breaks its a factory defect..

they should last more then a season IMO ..

IF not id be buying the old board shapes for under 200 dollars..hell if they broke all the time i may even have to buy the three year old ones for around $100 :-)

I like lighter boards they seem more responsive and less drag after i release off the water.The heavier boards seem to make me more tired and harder to get the boost out of ,well they are for me..

So im all for pushing the limits of lightweight boards as long as its not rediculous.I would not want to have to warranty my board every other month.I think if its too light then it wont be in contact with the water very well and hard to ride in rougher water..

I ride the platty abs and have broke one after 8 months and yes it was replaced for free and im happy about that..

I weigh 165 and ride the 141 so no way im too heavy for that board and i dont ride it on rails nor do i go that big so if it breaks its CWBs fault and they SHOULD replace it free..
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Bill - With respect to warranty, try the surf industy. Boards cost $400-$800 each, no warranty at all, you buy a new one. Mother nature will snap the board for you, it's inevitable. We are lucky for the warranties the wakeboard companies provide.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
bill I agree with you on the (what happens if it hits the water and breaks its a factory defect..) but most of the boards I have seen break are from huge double or big inverts. I have never seen a board break from a reg wake to wake air. If it did than it has to be a factory defect.

Look at some of the injurys that have happend from wake boarding broken femurs thats the strongest bone in your body. Broken ankle bones compound fractures something has to give.

I would rather have a board give then my body.

Wakes just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I think you will see the platty get heavyer. We saw this same problem with honey comb back in the day to many broke and thats why they stoped making them.

This is also another thing that has not been explored in the wakeboard world are differnt material.

When I was with Surflight wakeboards we used spaceage tech to make board 4.5 lbs and they never broke so I know there are materials out there but will the people pay 900 for a deck.

Sorry went a little south.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            11-07-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Agreed Tackleberry, I could not even tell you the amount of money I spent on surf boards when I was living in socal and surfing every day. We are very lucky that the wake industry has great warranties.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Squid i broke mine on a crow...

if they get heavier hopefully not too much..i like my platty..maybe i hope this one wont break..

If Surflite was so great why are they not around,cost??

I remember seeing them ,wasnt one like transparent??I thiught maybe if you go too thin or lite then it may be too bouncy and flexible..we need a happy medium..
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
You are thinking Tubelite...
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
Bill, The owner of Surf Flight died in a Sky Diving crash and his wife sold the business and now they make only Sky Surfing boards. It was just way to hard to keep going with out him. I helped design the wakeboards and he did the sky boards. Just could not handle him not being around so I packed up and went on my way. Plus it was very custom. I could make the rocker shape width what ever you wanted I could do it.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 12:01 AM Reply   
"All boards have suggested weight limits for a reason."

But in the same respect... a 100lb dude going 10 feet in to the flats is probably more likely to break a board than a 200lb dude learning to jump the wake.

Think about it
Old     (wake4chicks)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
lighter and smaller board here. lifetime warranty works for me
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
Squid, Im really interested in your post here. In kiteboarding many people make their own boards and many custom builders are doing as you say you could do.

Most custom kiteboards are between $500-$600.

The advantage of prod mold boards is the cost, right? But as the cost is climbing, do you think their might be room in wakeboarding for the custom shaper again? I mean, heck, a prod board comes with 16 metal inserts, and I only use 4. I can save some weight there. Plus custom guys can use high end materials like carbon to make them light and bombproof (once you get the flex issues worked out). Might it be that price has made it "reasonable" to have a board made for an individual instead of having to conform to a board made for some pro and over outfitted for the masses?
Old     (tmoney8)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2006, 11:55 PM Reply   
lighter is better bro, i mean if youre huckin huge and landin wake to wake