Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2006, 4:44 AM Reply   
I received my issue of wakesurfing magazine yesterday - very nice!

One question...
why are so many people shown wakesurfing without a life vest?
Old    surfdad            04-25-2006, 4:58 AM Reply   
I was troubled by that also. I think that most of the folks associatd with the magazine are pro surfers (Mary Osborne is a pro women's longboarder I do believe) and they typically don't wear life vests, but still, I certainly hope that the folks at Wakesurfing Magazine will not condone such behaviors for the boating public. Most major wakeboarding magazines stopped publishing pictures after notable professionals died from drowning while not wearing a life vest.

I'm a bit disappointed in Tige for thier ad with Ruck not wearing a PFD also.

It seems rather convoluted to read the safety warnings on page 32 - "Always waer a PFD while wakesurfing" and then (wink wink - nudge nudge) show so many folks NOT wearing a PFD.

Hopefully the folks at Wakesurfing Magazine will develop enough photos to be consistent with their warnings and NOT just give this lip service.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-29-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
I finally got a look at it and it read more like Shoreline promotional material then an editorial endeavor.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-29-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
ok when people surf in the ocean on big waves no one wears a vest and nobody says anything about it, so why does everyone get on here and say OMG hes wakesurfing without a vest?
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
I think it is because of the CO hazard of passing out and then drowning. Also you have the boat right there to hit your head on.
O yea and the water is generally much deeper
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-29-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
Entrust,
Don't give the Government any ideas. Besides you float better in salt water.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-29-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
well i can say ive come much closer to drowning surfing in the ocean then i have wakesurfing.

the boats wake doesn't trap you and hold you under
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
I know 2 people that have been hit by other peoples boats.
Old    surfdad            05-01-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Folks, don't give Entrust any power, he just tossed out rhetoric and we are supposed defend against his unrelated comparison?! LOL! Entrust, please enlighten us on the virtues of riding behind a boat without a a PFD. Not the "it hasn't happened yet, so it won't" We all are breathless in anticipation as to why riding behind a boat without a PFD makes so much more sense than riding with one.

Thanks for your time.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-01-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
i never said it makes sense, i always wakeboard with a vest and surf about 90% of the time with a vest. my point was how come no one thinks its dangerous to surf in the ocean without a vest but it is behind a boat?
Old    surfdad            05-01-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Okee dokee, I misunderstood your point. I'd presume that not all that many people who post on this forum also engage in ocean surfing or don't consider it a point of reference.

I personally think it's best to wear SOME KIND of floation when participating in any water realted sports. The risk of drowning is inherent in all water related sports and can be averted so easily.

I had some buddies that flew in WWII, Korea and also in 'Nam off of Air Craft Carriers. They would tell stories of losing a life senselessly simply because a comprade didn't have a PFD on. On their houseboat, if you you went in the water, even off the slide, you donned a PFD. To me, it's so easy to wear and most of the PFD's nowadays are so comfortable, why take a risk?
Old    wakesurfmag            05-16-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Just to set the story straight. Hi everone, I'm the editor of Wakesurfing Mag and the 1st issue did include many photos of surfers that were not wearing pfd's. We wanted to get the 1st issue out by spring and the only photos we had ready were from a photo shoot we shot last fall with a Fuel TV program.It was on their boat which did have sideswipe exhaust, and we were in the ocean with surfers. Surfers dont usually wear pfd's unless their being towed into a 30'+ wave. We brought boards and pfd's, but these guys felt right at home surfing a boat wave like it was their favorite point break, I'm sure some of you know what that is. Anyway, rest assure that we are aware of the situation and will do our best to promote safety in future issues. We do not allow anyone to ride behind our boat without a pfd , even though it has sideswipe exhaust,whether or no we are shooting.
We are here to promote the sport and keep it safe. Thanks for the support.

Sincerely,

Michael
Old    surfdad            05-16-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
Michael thanks for the post and for representing the wakesurfing community so well. I for one, appreciate your mag and the post.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-16-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Were can I get the New issue. I have looked everywhere.
Old    wakesurfmag            05-17-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
You can subscribe to the new magazine at www.wakesurfmag.com. Also, the mag was distributed to boat dealers across the US and Canada.

Michael
Old    pigmoder            05-30-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Just wanted to add that it would be pretty hard to duck dive waves in the ocean wearing a vest. I would never surf in the ocean with a life vest. You would be worked constantly. Surfing in the ocean is very different than riding behind a boat.