Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (yodrew)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-14-2012, 10:47 PM Reply   
Hey Im 5'9" 155lb looking for a 2012 board that will let me get real aggressive on it, but naturally with at least a little forgiveness to it. I often ride smaller wakes and I'm looking for something with all the pop I can find to get the most out of my wakes. Also kinda finicky about swing weight...
Here are some of the boards iv kinda had my eye on...
Ronix one time bomb
Ronix ibex
Ss hooke
Hyperlite Murray
Are these wat I'm after? Are there others I should b considering? Also along with that any input on sizes welcome as well! Thanx in advance!
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
The Ronix Mana is perfect. The board is super poppy, looking for big air off of a small wake. The Ibex would be a good choice if you were looking to bring your riding to a new level behind a signature boat.

As far as sizing goes, i'd reccomend a 138 because I'm about your size. (5'9, 140)
Old     (yodrew)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-15-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Hey thanx I hadn't really noticed those but I see what u mean! ...How's the forgiveness on a mana?Do they break loose easy?
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodrew View Post
Hey thanx I hadn't really noticed those but I see what u mean! ...How's the forgiveness on a mana?Do they break loose easy?
Mana's are very stiff, and if your looking to get big bunnyhops, they do not break loosly easily. the ollie you get out of them is enough to bunnyhop 180 though. Overall its a good board if your looking for the air to bring your riding to a new level.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-15-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
Slingshot recoil should be in the mix. I actually can't imagine wanting the stiffer Hooke and certainly found the recoil to track very well considering how minimal the board is. Great vertical pop too...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-15-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
The burning question on my mind is what is a bunny hop and why would how tight the board is affect bunny hopping ability
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-15-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
The burning question on my mind is what is a bunny hop and why would how tight the board is affect bunny hopping ability
Ditto... Wth is a bunny hop? Is this some new fangled term these skinny jean wearing kids are using? With there hula hoops, pac man video games, and Dan Fogelberg?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-15-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
Hey hey! Just because I wear skinny jeans does not mean I coin new terms
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
Ditto... Wth is a bunny hop? Is this some new fangled term these skinny jean wearing kids are using? With there hula hoops, pac man video games, and Dan Fogelberg?

bunny hop = ollie
sorry i said that because INT calls it a bunny hop
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
Like I read the other day.."just because you can fit in your girlfriends jeans...doesn't mean you should wear them!!!"
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
I don't understand why how loose a board is would affect and Ollie, and I'm pretty sure I've Ollie 180 almost every board I've ridden? Why would a mana be any different?

And there's a difference between good old' 511s and my girlfriends size 0 jeans!!!
But that's a off topic...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-17-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
The mana does well on small wakes, I know I am a repeating offender of the small wake clan. That being said, the best small wake advice is learn your technique, no board is going to magically pop you 2 feet higher... I'm a big fan of the mana, it never feels glued to the water but I rarely have landings where if I'm off balance the fins break loose and cause me to fall, it's well balanced, sticks landings but releaseable and loose when you want it.
Old     (yodrew)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-17-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Hey thanx everybody! i still havint completely made up my mind yet but that definitely helps! I wish i could demo boards here but I havnt been able to find anybody around here that does that:/. ....any SS Hooke riders out there? I can get a perty good deal on a Hooke right now and i like how aggressive it looks...hows the swing weight on those? (and hey btw Delta Force Im agreed tho the board cant make u a good rider, good point there)
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-17-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
The slingshots are awesome, i rode a recoil (same shape) and own a kine (similar flex profile) the pop is crazy but because you may loose some drive up the wake due to the boards lack of fins. It will be the most fun board you will ever own though...
Old     (extremewake)      Join Date: May 2011       09-17-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
I have a Hyperlite Marek. Its carries great speed into the wake and also pops really big too. I also ride a Byerly Monarch which rides pretty similar but has a little more loose feel overall. I recommend both!