Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Local dealer has the following:

all black
all red
orange/black/orange

Opinions on what the best color is ?
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
I have not seen any of the orange/black/orange sounds like it would be a cool combo. I also like the all red. I am not the biggest fan of the all black.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-19-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
all black or all red. Theres a reason why you dont see many orange black orange, but its personal preference. I just can't stand orange. TEXAS & OSU.
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-19-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
I like this color scheme.
Old    tea_boy            04-20-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
How long would you have to wait to choose your own color boat, and what would the saving be on taking a stock boat. Also could the dealer swap with other dealers, find out there stock colors.

All black would be my choice.
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-20-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
I have an all black 04 xstar.Iam currently getting my window frames power coated gloss black and all windows tinted. As soon as I can I will post pics.I have also removed all decals.I think you might like the look ;)
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Being quoted ~$64k w/o any haggling on my part...how does that shape up price wise ?

Re-colors, as i am in Texas I guess the orange might be a factor in resale/getting empties thrown my way based on Mark's comments. I will be pulling it with a black Toureg so with the all black will look a bit like the ride of the Prince of Darkness !
Old    wakefunx2            04-20-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
Hey wild bill, that sounds sick, i would love to see a picture of you X-star when its done, make sure you post!!!!!
Old    grud8            04-21-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hey Finbar-
You might want to rethink towing a boat as large as the X-Star with a VW Touareg. I have seen the Touareg equipped with a V8 compared to a Ford Expedition and I used to tow an X-30 with an Expedition equipped with a 5.4L V8 and it wasn't very efficient. I got about 7mpg and if you got up over 55-60mph it really moved the car around if you hit a bump. It was just too much boat for the car in my opinion. The X-Star weighs over 1000lbs more than the X-30. If you have a family that could get a little dicey if you have to stop qickly or make a maneuver. I bought an Excursion with a V-10 and I get about 11mpg and you can't even feel the boat back there. Just my two cents. Enjoy your new boat.
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pointer on the towing, it had crossed my mind to double check before buying. What did you swap your X-30 for and what did you think of the X-30 ?. I was originally looking at an X-30 but got distracted by the X-star but might be a different matter if I have to buy a new vehicle to tow it !

On prices, anyone care to share quotes/price paid for loaded 04 or 05 X-Stars. Dealer has quoted me $64-65k.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-21-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
I agree and disagree with barefooter, you will see a significant increase in mpg with the excursion or a bigger vehicle for that matter when pulling the xstar, however day to day travels you will see a significant drop in mpg, even if you do go with a diesel. Basically if you are going to be pulling the boat short distances the it will be ok to pull with the toureg, but long differences might be a challenge. Just my two cents. Good luck
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
That price sounds close. Your in the season now. Getting jerked on the powder coat thing.I will answer any questions you have on the x-star.I tow with a GMC 2500 w/8.1....so I dont feel it at all ;)
Old    wakefunx2            04-21-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
So bill, does that mean your not getting the window frames done?
Old    grud8            04-21-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Switched it out for an X-45. Should be in next weekend. The wait has been killing me. I loved the X-30 and really didn't want to sell it but it was the easiest thing to liquidate when I needed cash because it was paid for. Here's some good advice: don't quit your job until you have another lined up. 8 months out of work cost me a boat that was paid for.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-21-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
I like all white
Old    grud8            04-21-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
Jared makes a good point but just to be clear my comment was centered around whether or not it was very safe to tow a boat that size with a vehicle that size. It might not be a bad idea to see if a dealer would let you tow one around for an hour to see how it feels stopping and starting quickly and what it feels like towing over 60 mph. Either way good luck and as a side comment I thin the pricing you are seeing is good for an '04 and great for an '05 X-Star.
Old    code6            04-22-2005, 1:44 AM Reply   
Definately ALL RED!
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2005, 6:04 AM Reply   
Yes, he called me back with a higher price after the event but has agreed to honor the one he gave me. Re-the Touareg, first reactions I think rightly are that it is a small vehicle to tow ~5,500lbs but it is actually rated at 7,700lbs - much higher than any competitor, even the likes of the X-5. On a VW forum there is a guy who tows a 23ft LSV and another who claims to use his vehicle commercially and has towed a 7,000lb tractor (says everyone from the rental place was out in the parking lot watching in amazement as he hitched up an pulled away). Braking/swaying not an issue according to him, maybe just power on hills but living in Texas that is not an issue.

So all I need now I guess is to take a deep breath, call the dealer and put my money where my mouth is !!

Oh, and work out which color I want...here is the orange/black/orange BTW for those interested. I think it is this or the all black as my Touareg is black.

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-22-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
That looks like Darryl Moore's Marine if I've ever seen it!

Say hi to Darryl and Todd for me.

FOCUS: The orange and black looks sick.
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
But better than the all black you think ?

Correct about location BTW
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-22-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Well coming from someone who's obsessed with black boats and trucks I'd say no. Nothing cleaner then an all black boat.

I'd seen that color pattern here in Dallas on an X2 and it does look sick.

FYI - I used to live in Houston and bought my X2 (Star) from DMM that's how I know them.
Old    wakefunx2            04-22-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
I like both colors, but heres the thing, the all bacl wont be dated like the orange and black. Its kinda like yellow a few years ago, everyone started wanting yellow boats, now every one will want this new orange color. My point is this, the all black will look good no matter what, there is just something classy about an all black boat. Just kinda like that all white one that Matt just posted, its been so long sense you have seen an all white boat, and now it looks sick!! so i guess it just what your going for.
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-22-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
As soon asap I will post pics of all black boat.
"cory" I will powdercoat asap but the dude is a flake.Shopping for new guy now.
"Matthew" The all white is killer.If you could send some pics.I have friends in the market and that was a color they were looking at.
No hills in texas..but what about slick boat ramps???
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
Would have thought with all wheel drive would not be too much of an issue. If it is I guess I would just block the ramp and wait for someone like you with an 8.1L Vortec to turn up and help out !!!

Excellent comment on the dated look issue Cory which I think has swung the pendulum firmly in the all black direction.
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-22-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
check this out..this is what im talking.
http://freakytikki.com/jetskilaunch.htm
jet and a bigger truck than a veewee ;)
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Ah...suspect the vehicle size was not the issue though. At least he prob had a good day out on his jetski having blocked the ramp for the rest of the day !!
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-22-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
An add on point to Barefooter, Just remember that even though the Tourag is rated for 7000 but the car only weigh 5000 so it will stop easily with a boat that weighs the same with a tank of gas in it. I pull my X-star/X2 with a Z71 Burb and there are times when I come up on traffic and the thing just does not like to slow down as quickly as I want. I dont know how many times I have been cut off towing my boat and have to hit the brakes quickly. You would think that people would realize that I could crush them because I cant stop fast enough.
Old    plane_doc            04-23-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   

Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
Looks good Don, I have also finally decided on the black and hope to be on the water in a week or so.
Old    wakefunx2            04-25-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Finbar-RIGHT ON!!!, well i think your making a good choice! Are you going to have the dealer remove the decal? I think it would make that boat look that much cleaner, and if you really wanted "X-star" on there you can go to mymastercraft.com and they have these small X-star decals that you could put on the back side of the boat, right by where the back lockers are and it would look SICK!!!! Anyway i hope you love your new boat, im sure it will be great, so make sure you post some pictures when you get it!!
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-25-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Sure it will be too...not sure about the decal issue though. Have not had time to think about that. Will prob take as is for now.

Don, did the snap-on covers come with the boat or did you buy separately (or get the dealer to throw them in).
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   

Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
no decals...all black

Old    wakefunx2            04-25-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
Nice boat Bill!!!! looks like the knight rider boat or something. Howdo you like that mastercraft cover by the way? Have you towed with it on yet and how do you feel it works?
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
The cover is killer.There are some improvements.I will be adding 4 tabs w/rivets to secure to trailer.It came with lame velcro thats sticks to the boat. They lasted one tow.The only problem with towing is a strong cross wind.The pics dont show the under bars(reforcement)that keep the bow and compartment tight.
On a side note. Powdercoat will be done friday!!!
Wait til you guys see this beast...cant wait
Old    wakefunx2            04-25-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
Cant wait to see the pictures after you get it back from powdercoating, Ever make it down to ride in the Sacto area?
Old    wakefunx2            05-03-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Bill- did you get your boat back yet?!?!?!?!