Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Hi all! New to the forum and to surfing. Just purchased an 03 Avalanche on saturday. Also purchased a landlock 5'11" board. The Avy doesn't have any ballast tanks but does have the extended range fuel tank (48 gallons) in the middle which would act as ballast I assume. I have ordered a 725 pound sac to put in the port v drive locker. I also have two side sacs which are 180 pounds each but not sure where to put them. I have available the space under the walk through transom (ski locker), under the port seats, on the port seats, or in the bow. What would be the best arrangement for 3 sacs I currently have? Will I need more ballast than that (about 1100 pounds) plus I usually have 5-6 in boat?

Does anyone out there have their Avalanche dialed in and not mind sharing what works!

Oh ya, I am 6'3" and 275 so I need a good wave to surf!

Any and all help is much appreciated!
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
fill the back corner with the big sack.then weight the side.imo the biggest misconception of the big wave is gotta have a ton a weight..sorta wrong..its all about where you put it.getting the boat to lop over on its side is the way to get the wave to jack up straight up n down.you want it short, all the weight in the back,long, more weight in the center and up front.when we video we actally hang someone off the side of the tower,we call him a monkey,as soon as he gets up there,you can see the wake rise up a foot.its illeagal on some lakes so be aware.but just seeing it will help u learn about the hows n whys of your new boat.welcome to the sport,remember safety first,enjot the ride
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-29-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
My avalanche has one ballast tank 250lbs, and with 4 people on the boat the wake surfing is perfect at 10.5mph. I tried the whole adding weight thing and all it did was make a steep short wake. Best place on my boat to add weight is at the bow, i just used some old weight plates off an exercise machine.

dc
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Waterdog... thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on getting that boat lean over to the surf side!

DC
Is the 250 ballast in the center? Where do you have the 4 people sit? I'll try adding some weight to the front. Thanks!

Anyone else? I know there has got to be some really dialed in Avalanches out there!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-29-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Steve, I got your email. Our setup for nationals was:

Goofy:
..Starboard tank full
..Center tank full
..750 behind the driver
..400 in the walkthrough
.. another 400 on the walkthrough and 750
..270 steel in the starboard bow
..peeps

I don't have the exact regular set up, I think it was:
..Port tank full
..Center tank full
..440 on top of starboard tank
..860 bench
..440 front bench
..300 lead in bow
..peeps

One of the goofy Calibrated team riders said that the regular/goofy wakes were the most balanced that he'd ever seen in a competition. See pictures 5 and 6 for the resulting wakes.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/491187.html?1187731807