Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
Is there any secret to surface tricks like simple 180's and 360's? Cause when i try to jump and do a 180 it doesnt seem like i leave the water at all.
Old                07-05-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Make sure you are edging and then ollie.
Old                07-07-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
Hey Wakechic06,
You have to hold on to the handle. The rope will help you get in the air
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2005, 11:54 PM Reply   
Very funny..maybe i should use your "bindings" to help keep my hands on the rope.
Old     (muddyboss)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-07-2005, 11:58 PM Reply   
masking tape will work better.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2005, 12:01 AM Reply   
lol yea Pat, maybe you should try that. Might keep your HO on your feet better. When are we going boardin again?
Old                07-08-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
for surface tricks practice doing power slides (half of a 180 where you spray water) and holding the slid in that position, do those on your toe edge and heel edge. this gets you ready for having to change your edge for surface 360's and stuff.

for an ollie 180, you really have lean against the rope, bend at the knees, then explode off your backfoot, bring your front knee up then your back knee up. once you're in the air pull the handle with both hands to your back hip then let go with your new back hand.
Old                07-11-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
Lean against the rope? how do you mean....? What sort of speed should someone try this at starting out? i think i have always been going too fast when i've tried.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
I normally wakeboard at about 21-22. If I want to do surface tricks, I slow to about 17. I also recently pulled off my center fin, and have a whole new ride. Really fun for surface tricks. I can still cut and charge the wake. Just a bit looser, but if I am on a progressive edge, it sticks great. Practice surface 180's by doing a carve while inside the wake, then shift your weight to the other foot, and let it slide around. If you can get a copy of The Book (DVD), it has a pretty good section on doing this. Slow your speed down. Just keep playing with it. You will eventually get it.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
what exactly is your center fin?? do all boards have em?
Old                07-12-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
no, all boards now days do not have a center fin. but alot still do. riding with the fin just make getting on your edge easier, as riding without out a center fin its harder, but teaches you to get on your edge better and you can save alot of falls (in my opinion).

when i say "lean against the lean" i mean get that line pretty tight by leaning away from the boat, its not necessary, but it helps in learning to ollie.

(Message edited by natxbrotha on July 12, 2005)
Old                07-12-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
Okay- got it. And hey, thanks Buzz. It's a little off the subject, but I have to say I did my first ollie off the wake last night! It took a couple wrecks first of course, but I did it! I didn't cut out as far and didn't edge back in as hard either. I was edging in way to fast before! I'm going again tonight so hopefully I can post a picture in my profile this week! Thanks for all the help everyone. Now i gotta get that surface 180 down!