Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakeboarder843)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-16-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
I have a canon gl2 and I want to get a 16mm camera to shoot some wakeboarding because what ever I shoot with the gl2 looks like home footage and kind of has that greyness that home videos have and isnt as colorful I was wondering if you could edit that and make the video look as good as 16mm??
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-16-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
what are you using to edit? magic bullet makes a plugin for premiere pro that can give clips the "film look," though you can tell it's not "real."

(Message edited by dakid on October 16, 2006)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-16-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
The progressive mode on the GL2 will give you more of a film look then the std 60i video mode.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-18-2006, 1:11 AM Reply   
Garbage in, garbage out.. With DV footage you can only do so much. Applying filters to good footage will get you to 60% of simulating the film look, but even then it's very time consuming if you want to get beyond that point. Simply put there is no "one click" magic button to insta-filmlook

Also just because you shoot with film doesn't mean it will look better. I've seen plenty of crappy 16mm footage..

Getting a 3 CCD camera like the panasonic DVX100 or HVX200 will help with the colors. But what it really comes down to is actually free and available to you on any sunny day.. and that is good lighting. Shoot in the early morning or late afternoon when the sun is low and always make sure the sun is coming over your shoulder. That will get you started in the right direction.

This is a good example of good lighting and a DVX --> Gator Houseboat Video
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-18-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
That is really nice Dave, I'm a day or 2 away from getting a video up of Chris shot with the HVX. Even with HD the images look so much better when shot in magic light.
Old     (wakeboarder843)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-19-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
ok thanks, Ive seen a lot of people filming wakeboard stuff with the dvx100 so why is that a better camera then a gl2?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Bigger CCD's, a better lens and more control over the image. It also has true progressive modes the GL2 doesn't have but most I think still shoot it in std 60i. Don't sell the GL2 short, 90% of Delta Sessions 2 was shot by Sean using his GL2. In the right hands the video quality from it is just fine.
Old     (wakeboarder843)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-20-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
so if you shoot in 16mm or any mm how do you get that footage onto a computer to edit because ive heard its an expensive process??
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-20-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
"how do you get that footage onto a computer" telecine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-20-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Andy - Lighting... It's all about the lighting.
Old    mobster            10-24-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
try the sony vx2100 3chip it has great color & it shoots in low light At Mob Group Productions we shoot with the vx2100 the color and picture quality is better than the canon . As you have hears light is the most important part of video.