Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       09-09-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Hi my name is Dave and I am a "ballast newbie".

OK, here are the details....boat is a '99 Sunsetter VLX (no ballast, no wedge). Family boat. Young kids will want a small wake right now. The wives are just fine with the wake as is. My brother and I would like to add some weight to help our riding progress. I like the lead idea, but considering use of the boat and variety of riders, it doesn't seem like a logical solution.

So....having never dealt with fat sacs, I have a ton of questions. I'm guessing we could put 1 on each side of the engine and possibly one in the ski locker.

What size sacs?
What size pump?
Can you fill them only 1/2 way?
How long to fill one sac?
Rough cost for the 3 sacs and pump?

Thanks for any help.
Old    jetpilot313            09-09-2004, 5:08 PM Reply   
to 500 pound sacs on side the engine and 1 500 pound sac in locker. the more moeny you spend the better pump, u probably want a good one because u dont want to be fillin sacs for 30 minutes. yes u can fill em half i recommend timing it though so you dont put more weight on one side. i fill one 750 sac in abt 4 min. u can get 3 fly high coverless sacs for 80 bucks a piece and a pump for around 70 bucks, hope this helps
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-10-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
Nice boat, I have a 96 in red that has basically been upgrader to a wakesetter. If you are more of a beginner you might just want to think about a wedge, very simple and quick.

I did a complete custom install of about 1500 lbs this spring. I did go with hard tanks in the back, 800-900 lbs total and sack in the ski locker, 600-700 lbs I am guessing.(I have 4 racks on my tower so I don't need the space)

I think if you put 1000 lbs in the back of that boat you will need to put a 600 lbs sack in the bow and maybe some lead up there to keep the nose down and keep it from porposing.

I did my total install for about $650, give or take a little I didn't want to keep track. That was a 600 gph reversible pump for the locker sack which is a super single waterbed matress. Two 45 gallon hard tanks for the back and 4 750 gph pumps for the rear. Plus the switches, breakers, through hull fitting, hoses, wires......

If you want email me and I can get you some pics.

I think for the money you can't get a better boat than the old sunsetter vlx's. I have had mine for 3 summers and have had zero problems.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-11-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
I have a 98 sunsetter vlx. I built an auto system for relatively cheap that fills pretty quick. If you don't want to go that route you can get Attwood 750's from wallmart for under $20 a piece.Get 1 for every sack and buy the hose and stuff from lowes. You could probably get 3 for around the same price as 1 rule 1100. Check Ebay for the sacks, or www.letsgoride.com.

As far as weight, we ride with a 600# on each side of the engine, about 650# in the locker and an extra 500# right on top of the ski locker door for a total of 2350#. If we only have a few people we've put as much as another 350# in the nose and a 350# against the back seat. The wake is sick!