Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (tino7)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-07-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
I began wakeboarding this spring and fell in love with it. I have progressed quite a ways in the sport since then. I think I would like the feel of a larger board instead of my LF Superfly 38 (considering I'm 6'3" 195 lbs). My girlfriend found a good deal on a 2003 Parks 143 DNA and was wanting to get it for me for Christmas. I've read how advanced this board is, so I was wondering if it would be hard for me to ride?
Old    maverick_gear            12-07-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
Parks Board is a good board but it is very advanced and i would recamend riding it first, it would be a huge jump from your superfly to the parks. i would recamend going from the superfly to a premier, substance, Gonzalez, or ERA . i think that you will find that these boards are very high performance but not to extremely aggressive for a person at your level.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-07-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
That board is a "love it or hate it" board. It is harder to ride than most board. But I think you do need to go to a bigger board size.
Old    upupnaway            12-07-2003, 5:17 PM Reply   
I went with a parks before I knew how to ride and just grew into it. If it is all you ride, you will definately get used to it and love it.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-07-2003, 5:59 PM Reply   
Pick out a board you like then tell your girlfriend to call grizzly sports, they will get her a deal, I can almost guarentee it! If you need their number let me know
Old    deltahoosier            12-07-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
One thing you have to ask yourself is what kind of rider you are. Meaning, do you ride flat and rely on the fins or do you ride on the edge of the board like you should. Do you like a loose board? The more I ride the more I like the loose board with good hook up once on edge.

I have a friend that rides and he likes to ride flat for the most part. He can throw raleys and things, but, for the most part his style is to ride flat and take it wake to wake. He did not like the Parks. I would say go finless in the middle and learn to ride the edges and grow into it. There are other boards, but, do not be afraid of a center finless board. You may actually have more fun on it at a lower level with butter and lip slides and things. Have fun.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-07-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
Tony if your heart is set on the parks, but you want something a bit more forgiving, get a Hyperlite TFD.
Old    hyperlytemaiden            12-08-2003, 5:06 PM Reply   
In my expertise the Parks DNA is going to be a bit much. When you are wakeboarding you want to enjoy your ride, that’s what it’s all about. I don’t know if you will enjoy your ride on the Parks, don’t get me wrong it is on of the best boards that we make but I think that you might want to stick with something hat you will be able to grow into. Check out the 2004 Temet or the new 2004 Premier shape. It has a looser feel than the 2003 does but will give you some room for growth. I think that it will offer you the chanllange that you are looking for. If you want the parks board you will rationalize getting it. Remember it’s about how much fun you have not necessarily what board you are riding.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-15-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
When I'm buying a board I'm looking for things in the ride. I don't believe there is such a thing as a board that's too advanced. It might kick you in the teeth for the first few tries but you're going to learn how it works, and how to work with it. It might be weird at first, but last time I checked most things new are.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-16-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
If you're looking for a better board, but with a similar ride to the Superfly 138, I would check out the LF Team series. They have continuous rocker and similar channelling to the Superfly. The Parks is an has an aggressive 3-stage rockers which is a much different ride. I used to ride a Superfly and right now I'm riding and really liking the Team 139.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-17-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
I have a Parks 143 too. It's a great board, but to tell you the truth at my level I prefer it when riding behind a standard wake, the extra pop is nice when the wake is somewhat lacking. When I have the boat weighted and get the wake up to a pro level, then I find the board is a little inconsistent, sometimes kicks you up, sometimes WAY up, sometimes kicks you out of control. It's not the boards fault but just my lack experience.

I bring that up because of the way you posed your question. So when I ride now on a pro sized wake I prefer my Motive 144 with Premier fins on it 1.1cm, I believe Motive is the old Premier shape.

When I ride a smaller wake I prefer the Parks 143, because of the extra pop is nice when you have a small wake and it does not throw me off balance on a smaller wake.

In my opinion for an all around board for a novice, you should not look at the Parks. I think it will hender your progresion a little. But once you get more advanced it's a kick a** board.

If I was going to sell both of my boards, I would probably look at the new Premier, it has the best of both worlds.