Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Does anyone use this amp, Rockford Fosgate POWER 1000 5 channel "Limited" Amp? I'm considering this amp its on ebay for $650.00. This amp has five channels front/rear 100x4 @2ohms sub channel 600x1 @2ohms. I have 4 mb quarts premium series on for the tower rms 60-130W and the sub that comes from the factory from Moomba 175 w. Is this too much amp?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
i dont think it is enough for what you are looking for..
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Any suggestions on what I should use? Is it a must to use marine audio?
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-11-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
It will work just fine. But for that money, you would be better off using two amps. And you can do that for under 500. One class a/b 4 channel amp for the towers and any interior speakers and one class d for the sub(s). I am using car audio amps. They need to be protected from water and should have some air flow for cooling them off. I would not spend my money on marine amps.

As far as amps to look at, Hifonics, Kicker, PPI, Alpine to name a few.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Probably a stupid question, but why would two amps be better?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
One more question. How many watts for each amp if I do decide to go with two amps?
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-11-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Get an amp that is double the power you want and keep the gain turned back. The amp will run cooler and last longer.

With two amps you will have some diversity in your set up. Some pluses are the amps run cooler, more targeted power (not all power in one package). Some negatives are space and power wiring.

The 5 channel amps today are much better than they were even a year ago. Kicker makes one called a ZX 700.5 or the Hifonics ZXI8006. Both have more power than you need based on your equipment and both are good amps.

I prefer using two amps or more. This allows you to call the shots on the power/specs needed for your equipment. For the equipment you have listed, I would look at a hifonics merlin class d for the sub (under 100 shipped) and a ZXI6406 (230 shipped) for going the two amp route.

The hifonics amps are work horses and cheap! So is the kicker amp I listed above. If you go with the Kicker amp, be careful and make sure it is the ZX 700.5 not the KX 700.5 The ZX takes the lessons learned from the KX series and has the improvements incorporated.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-11-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
The Directed 5 channel amp in my buddies X45 does quite well, also handles the heat pretty well. Typically I avoid amps with more than 4 channels but the Directed might work and save you a few buck in the process.

Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-DIRECTED-AUDIO-D2205-5-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-AMP-New_W0QQitemZ300088736452QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-14-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
I just bought a Kicker ZX850 4 channel amp for my tower speakers. I'm going to use the amp that came with the boat from the factory to power my sub and interior speakers. I'll let you know how it sounds once I get the amp and install it.