Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Got offered a job in Fargo ND, about 7 hrs away from where I currently live. Questions - Are there any good lakes nearby? Much of a scene (doubtful, I know), or really, anybody up there at all?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-13-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Haha..

Fargo is actually an awesome little city. It's growing like crazy, has 5 colleges and is 45 minutes from SERIOUS lake country.. There is a cluster of probabyl 40 lakes about 45-60 minutes directly east of the town.. Every weekend - pretty much everyone who is anyone goes to "The Lakes" for the weekend (generic term for the group of lakes out there) and there are tons of parties and tons of riding to be had.. A lot of younger riders with parents boats/money (think 18-23)..

There is a lake about 30 minutes directly west of Fargo and there is a lake about 38 minutes east of Fargo as far as weeknight riding is concerned. The only water IN Fargo is the river and it's really dirty and lots of mercury..

My parents live there and have a cabin on Detroit Lakes (40 minutes east). I go up 3-4 times a year. I went to college there and about 4 of my best friends still live there. Great place to live actually. Winters do get cold but the summers at the lakes are pretty fun.

If you're a "core rider" and want to get out every night after work - you're going to have to drive 30-45 minutes to get to the lakes. If you're a weekend warrior - it's perfect. TONS of places and people to ride with.

Housing is very affordable and there are something like 11ty billion apartments so if you want to rent - you can get something brand new and nice for cheap.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-13-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
I don't think you'll have a problem finding water..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fargo+...ed=0CBcQ8gEwAA

check out directly east of the city.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Wow - Great info Jeff. Thanks for that. Right now I'm used to driving an hour to the lake 2-3 nights a week during the summer. That definately eases my mind a bit, now I gotta figure out the rest of everything.
Oh yeah, are cabins that pricey since there looks to be so much waterfront land to be had?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-13-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirwoody View Post
Wow - Great info Jeff. Thanks for that. Right now I'm used to driving an hour to the lake 2-3 nights a week during the summer. That definately eases my mind a bit, now I gotta figure out the rest of everything.
Oh yeah, are cabins that pricey since there looks to be so much waterfront land to be had?
Yeah, if you're used to driving an hour - you'll be about on par. The closes lakes are around 40 minutes.

Lakeshore property is hit or miss. On the big, popular lakes - it's pricey.. If you want to get something affordable - you'll have to go to a smaller, quieter lake. It all depends on what you want. Some people just want a quiet lake with nothing but butter. Some people want a busy party lake with bars and restaurants on the water. If you're on a "popular" lake - I doubt you could touch anything under $250k. If you start getting to the smaller lakes - stuff pops up for $150k range often.

There is also a LOT of trailer type places where you just buy a trailer and pay $2k a year for "rent" and a slip.. That's a great way to do it on the cheap. You can leave a dock, a lift and your boat on the water, have a place to sleep, etc. A trailer or camper is like $6-$15k and then you pay $2k a year. Not a bad way to go if you're balling on a budget.

I know that SOME people live on the lakes and commute in to Fargo but in the winter you'll want a flexible job if you go that route as the highways out there can get pretty wild during a storm.

Where is the job? How old are you?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
I'm 26, not married, and the job is in Fargo, but requires travel all around the area on a daily basis. Not sure how much they'd frown on me living that far out of town, but I know I can work from home if need be. Gonna have to ask a few more questions to figure out how flexible they'd be since it's a 1 person office....me.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-13-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirwoody View Post
I'm 26, not married, and the job is in Fargo, but requires travel all around the area on a daily basis. Not sure how much they'd frown on me living that far out of town, but I know I can work from home if need be. Gonna have to ask a few more questions to figure out how flexible they'd be since it's a 1 person office....me.
I'd say get a place in town and at most buy a trailer and rent a space at a lake.. You're probably better off just finding a couple core guys who ride and hooknig up with them and trailering or leaving your boat at their lake. The lakes area is BANGIN in the summer but in the winter you'd be bored as hell as a single 26 year old guy.

Get a spot in town and go that route. If you decide to buy - my Dad is a realtor there so I can hook you up with his information. Give me an e mail if you decide to take it and I can give you a heads up on where to live, cool places to go out and I'll see if I can link up with some of my old riding crew and see who's still around. There are a LOT of lakes and a lot of money.. You should be able to round up a crew fairly easy..

Definitely live in town if you're 26 and single though. Tons of good rentals - buying is cheap if you're so inclined.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-13-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I'll let you know what I decide, gonna be a lot of thinking goin on soon, but you eased my mind on one big issue
Thanks a ton!