Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-17-2008, 4:29 AM Reply   
....anyone have success with wax in reducing water stains.....or any other product other than anti fouling or boat lift? our boat sits in the water all summer...would be nice to slow down the staining...i scrub it every weekend which helps some......but looking for a good wax to maybe seal the boat off a bit...if thats possible.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-17-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
I don't know how to keep the spots off, but I use vinegar to clean them off of my boat, works great with very little effort.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-18-2008, 5:18 AM Reply   
....thanks...but I meant the yellow tea stains on the bottom of the hull. I found some products called antifouling wax, which are supposed to seal the pores in the gel coat.....and others which are supposed to make the boat so slippery nothing can attach to it.

so no one has every used any of these kind of products?
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       10-19-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
I've used RejeX for the past couple of years with good luck.
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-19-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
Wax helps keep the boat bottom whiter for longer, but I haven't found any wax that will stop the algea/sea growth build-up.

For this reason, I am planning on getting my new boat with a dark hull - black or navy. The dark hull at least makes the yellow not so obviouse.

To really stop it, I believe you need bottom paint, a lift, or take your boat out of the water every 2 weeks or so.

I have been researching bottom paint.
I haven't found many wakeboarders who use it, but I have talked to many other boaters who use it and love it.

They now make black bottom paint, which looks OK. It is dull (not shiny), but it isn't the ugly green/blue color that you would normally think of when you think bottom paint.

From what I have been told, bottom paint works great - but you should have a professional painter put it on, you need to get the correct paint that holds up to high speed, and you need to repaint it every 2-3 years.